PDA

View Full Version : Gah! I'm so confused and it's all going wrong!

Beklet
10-16-2004, 11:52 AM
OK, a bit about myself first. I'm 30, 4' 11", 140lbs. Generally I have a stocky build, with way too much bodyfat.
I have done weights on and off through the years, but finally started exercising seriously about 9 months ago. The goal, as usual, to lose flab and retain muscle.

I have the diet thing pretty much sorted now, or so I thought. I'm eating pretty cleanly (I'm not perfect, but who is?), doing everything my trainer tells me (more cardio), but I am so confused!

I started doing the M&F Rock Hard challenge as a weights programme. The first month I made some gains, I managed to lift heavier weights, the second, it tailed off a bit. The third, it just didn't work, and I got bored (the exercises were the same, just a different order)

For a break, I've decided to do full body workouts, 3 times a week, just to give my body something else to concentrate on (Squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, pulldowns, shoulder press, biceps, triceps), as I'm getting disheartened. The weights are not the problem, I just cannot shift ANY bodyfat.

In 9 months, I have completely cleaned up my diet, upped the cardio to 5 times a week, 45-60 mins a time (I suspect cardio is the problem here), and continued with the weights. I've been told 'do more cardio', it's the only way to burn calories', 'do less', 'do none'. I am at a loss. I have no idea what to do next.

Anyone help? My diet, btw is approx 1750kcal a day, except weekends, where I have a cheat meal on one day.

jhp5787
10-16-2004, 01:56 PM
cardio is the problem, you are actually losing muscle, you should do only 20-30 min of cardio and if your matabolism is high you only need 3-4 days per week. You should also try fatburners. Only do cardio before workouts if it is well before you workout(morning vs Afternoon. It is okay to cheat everyday but make sure it is in the morning and mot near your workout. Workouts should be no longer than 60 min. and should be intence. Try switching things up more, do the body parts in different orders like if you do back/shoulders do shoulders/back,and alway do the exercises in different orders and variations every week so your body does not adapt. Start taiking suplements i recomend starting with creatine, glutamine, protien, and a multi-vitamin. Only have creatine after your workout, drink the protien shake then your creatine, the shake causes a insulin spike wich will cause the nutrients to be "sucked" into your muscles. Good luck.

moody_weasel
10-16-2004, 01:57 PM
For a break, I've decided to do full body workouts, 3 times a week, just to give my body something else to concentrate on (Squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, pulldowns, shoulder press, biceps, triceps), as I'm getting disheartened. The weights are not the problem, I just cannot shift ANY bodyfat.

LOL, where do you want to shift it?
Just kidding.
It was smart to change your workout.

In 9 months, I have completely cleaned up my diet, upped the cardio to 5 times a week, 45-60 mins a time (I suspect cardio is the problem here),

Yep. You are doing too much and for too long. Have you ever tried HIIT?
Check this link.
http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

Do it twice a week but no more than three times and see how it goes.

bscrusher
10-16-2004, 10:12 PM
bump weasel.

what a mess. fire that dumb-a** "trainer".

drop all that cardio. the best fat burning program for a beginner is a muscle mass building program. you are a beginner.

YOU WILL NEVER BURN FAT SAFELY OR EFFECTIVELY IF YOU ARE OVERTRAINED! YOU ARE OVERTRAINED!

a full body lifting session is TWO or THREE compound lifts, NOT EIGHT!!!

never workout for more than 45 minutes at a time.

the only thing a "cheat meal" is good for is it tells me someone's program is not working.

moody_weasel
10-17-2004, 03:47 AM
For a break, I've decided to do full body workouts, 3 times a week, just to give my body something else to concentrate on (Squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, pulldowns, shoulder press, biceps, triceps)

Could you post your workout? (I assume you don't do all of those exercises in one workout.)

Beklet
10-17-2004, 07:01 AM
I have completely lost the plot.

I don't want to cut out cardio altogether, because I like being fitter. I like Spinning and running, and I've decided to do a 10K next year, when I've got a decent 5K time. I'm happy to cut it down to 3 times a week.

As for workout. Currently I have none. Because I am confused. I will be resorting to my box of M&F at this rate, or looking at some articles here.
Someone suggested HST, so this week, I've decided to do 2 sets of the above exercises 2 or 3 times a week until I go on holiday next week (no gym, so many press ups, lunges and running). After that I will sit down and evaluate. I have been told too many things my too many people.

I just don't know what to believe. I have seen a state registered dietician who says there is nothing wrong with my diet, but maybe I eat too much protein (I don't). It's just that since I cleaned up my diet, lifted heavier and started doing proper cardio, I haven't lost an ounce. Of fat that is. I don't expect to lose pounds, but I expected a couple of inches off my waist at least. I don't want to look skinny, just like me without the saddlebags and belly roll.

And hey, I see nothing wrong with a cheat meal. Food has to be good for the soul too.

bscrusher
10-17-2004, 10:24 AM
cardio is obviously not making you fitter. it is doing the opposite.

are you serious about the 10k? then drop everything else and train for the 10k.

M&F is one of the worst sources of information on fitness i can imagine. read articles by john berardi, mike mahler, stuart mcrobert and mike mentzer.

hst is overly complicated in my opinion, but not bad, i would say cut it down and simplify it as i think mike mahler does in his article, "condensed training."

here is the key that is going to make your fitness goals (losing fat, that's all? really?) move forward....

do only THREE workouts a week. doesn't matter what they are, lame-a** cardio, running for 10k, lifting, HIIT...etc... workouts are under 45 minutes.
you will be able to recover. your metabolism will start working right.

if your food was "good for the soul" you wouldn't need a cheat meal. if you want to be fit, you should NEVER be hungry.

you are right to be critical of the "state registered dietician".

all i can tell you is the things i am posting for you work for me and all my students. they are all real people with full time jobs and mostly average genetics. we never feel tired and we love our workouts, progress is constant, planned and predictable. your's should be too.

Beklet
10-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks, I was just beginning to think I lost it. I love my weights, really I do, it's taken me months to get 'into' the cardio thing.

M&F has become like Shape/Ultra Fit recently.

My goals are these;

Improve my cardiovascular fitness. I like running, cycling and swimming, so these aren't too arduous.

Improve strength, gain muscle definition and lose the excess bodyfat. I don't want to be skinny, I just want to look good in my clothes, and be firm not flabby.

The 10K is just a target. I have to have a target to work to. The other is a 26" waist *grin* so I can get back into 90% of my clothes.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now. I'm going to boil up my rice for the next few days ;}

bscrusher
10-17-2004, 01:55 PM
hi beck, well you have to realize that any training for the cardiovascular fitness/10k goal will slow down the progress of the other goals. this is not a bad thing to have these multiple goals, but you must make peace with the fact that progress will be slower.

i still suggest you workout every other day at most and if your schedule will allow that. most people have to fit their workout schedule into a 7 day week format and therefore 3 workouts per week works best.

perhaps when your metabolism is working right and you are feeling strong you could try a split like this...

day 1 = lifting

day 2 = running

day 3 = rest

repeats

loving your weights is a very good thing. increasing the muscle mass of your legs uperback and shoulders will make you waist look smaller.

Beklet
10-17-2004, 02:41 PM
OK, that sounds sensible. I'm not a serious runner by any means, but I did a 5K a couple of weeks ago, and running doesn't need a gym. My goals are definitely more weights orientated. I went to the gym with a friend, and found weights was something I liked and seemed OK at (after being picked last for EVERYTHING at school!), the running is a bonus, something after months of dreading cardio that I found I wasn't dreadful at.

My shoulders have got wider, my waist looks smaller - but only from the front lol. From the side there is still a bulge. I will be energised tomorrow, I feel! Five days a week is a bit excessive.

ChocoChick
10-19-2004, 05:46 AM
I'm 30, 4' 11", 140lbs. Generally I have a stocky build, with way too much bodyfat.

My diet, btw is approx 1750kcal a day, except weekends, where I have a cheat meal on one day.

Others have addressed the training issues. I think you are going to need to both lose weight and rain hard in order to see the changes in bodyfat you are looking for.

Here is one formula that may help you to determine how many calories you need: 66.473 + (13.751 x weight in Kg) + (5.0033 x height in cm) - (6.755 x Age)

And this thread contains another one from Emma Leigh (scroll down to the 5th post) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=301619&highlight=tef

These are just ROUGH guides to the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight. To lose, you will want to reduce the quantity slightly.

You might want to post what you are eating (and when) for more targeted input.

MsFit
10-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Some very good points have been made here. My input is your diet. Ninety percent of fat loss will come from your diet, how you implement macro. It's hard to determine your BMR without a body fat composition.

You have simply lost motivation for training because you are over trained. Just as stated above, keep training under an hour. You might do ok with a 4 day split, training each muscle group only once a week. I find varying my reps weekly helps to keep thing on the upbeat and not so boring.

I'd revamp your cardio. Start at the low end and increase it weekly by either minutes or days. Small changes, nothing drastic. Samething with diet, small changes.

Your body can adapt fast, so I'd venture to say it has adapted to your "healthy eating". The body responds to constant changes. The key to fat loss is to stay a step ahead of the body. Never let on what you are doing. ;)

Ladybuilder
10-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Beklet,

Check out www.runnersworld.com This is an excellent site for runners...until my "accident" I loved going to this site...it shows everything about running and training for races.

I went ahead and checked before replying to you about training programs...in the search engine they have type in "training for the 10K". There is a lot of information in there for you.

Also, you want to weight train, right? But your goal is running? So, also check out in their search engine, "strength training" There they will give you some programs to build strength for runners.

A runners have smaller muscles that give them the advantage of speed, while bodybuilders have bigger muscles. One good thing about a runner...they have really good abdominals...so, if you keep it up you can at least know your ABs will be great.

Have fun...and surf the site...it is a very good site for runners!

Beklet
10-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Thanks everyone, for your great advice. I'm by no means a runner, but if I have to do cardio, I may as well like it!

I was given a nutrition plan by someone on another forum. It's been difficult to stick to as it's taken 2 weeks to get my protein delivered (!!!), and now I have a stinking cold, but I'll give it a month to see if there is any change.

Plan as follows;

Breakfast
1.5 cups cooked oatmeal
1/2 cup milk
1/2 scoop protein

Snack
1 scoop protein (or occasionally a bar, if I'm on the road)
banana

Lunch
1 cup rice
4oz chicken breast
2 cups veg
apple

snack (pre workout)
200g cottage cheese
1/2 cup fruit

Dinner
4oz potatoes
3oz salmon (I don't actually like salmon, I usually have prawns, or mackerel)
2 cups veg

Evening (though I rarely have time for this)
1/2 scoop protein powder

Obviously, I substitute some food to avoid getting bored - I'll have a chicken salad sandwich instead of rice and chicken, or pasta instead of potatoes. It works out at around 1750 kcal.