PDA

View Full Version : Not new..but I need some opinions please

blondey
10-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey guys...this post may be long, but I would love it if one of the figure/fitness competitors could help me out, I've come to a road block and dont know what to do?!

Alright...my story is: Im 20 years old, University student. I have been into weight training for 3 years now. Last year I had a serious boyfriend and managed to let myself slack off and put on a few extra pounds. Starting this past July I started a cut to lower BF while maintaining my mass. My diet was kept constant (ie; amount of cals and macros), but were different for training and non training days of course. My calorie intake was approx. 1500 cals/day with less than 20g carbs on NON- training days and approx. 80g on training days. All meals were protein/fat besides pre and post workout (carb/pro). Training was as follows: Empty stomach cardio for 45 mins 7x week. Weights 4x week, later in the day. After 6 weeks or so the cals decreased to about 1300/day along with the carb intake decreasing on both training and non-training days. I cheated once a week the whole time. This program help me shed a great deal of fat, and I maintained all of my muscle, perhaps even adding a little. My bodyfat is now approx 16-18% (not positive on exacts right now). I am now 5'5, 125-126 pounds...with a size 3 waist.

Ok I hope your not annoyed yet...questions are coming soon, thanks.

So...I have been doing this up until now...however, the last few weeks I have been stressed with school and had a few unplanned cheats. I havent had a period since July and I am tired all the time, but when bedtime comes I cant sleep. I find it hard to be getting up, driving to the gym, doing cardio, driving home, showering, driving back to school, classes, driving home, changing for the gym, driving back to school, working out, coming home again....I cannot focus on school and this is too much for me I think!

I havent seen any decrease in BF the last 5 weeks or so now and I need to change, BUT my mind is warped and I am sooo afraid to try anything different. I have this negative view on carbs and they're bad and I know I shouldn't think this way. I am a fourth year Kinesology student, I will be a certified personal trainer and certified fitness consultant in 2 months, with a degree in Kinesiology. Anyhow....

I want to enter a figure competition. Its not until April 2nd, so loads of time. I have great muscle in my legs and back, but arms and shoulders need a little mass. But, I wanna cut my BF down a bit more just to satisfy my mind and become a bit more satisfied with BF level before I cleanly add some mass.

So, I need some suggestions on how I should approach this. Going from a really low carb cut I am very afraid. I am used to doing cardio everyday. I would like to not have to, and I love HIIT. I dont mind cardio, but not everyday *lol*

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? MsFit? Or anyone else who has good insight on this.

I would really like to cut a little more....then add some mass.

I mean I know ALL about good cutting diets, what foods to eat, I learn/read about this day in and day out.
oatmeal, sweet potatoes
chicken, tuna, eggs, salmon, turkey, lean meats
green veggies

Right now I need something that I can do realistically while in university, nothing too strict (not a pre-competition diet), but not relaxed too much where I dont decrease BF

Can I incorporate oatmeal in the mornings, whole wheat bread, yogurt, skim milk etc....all at the right times of course, and still lower BF?

Ahhh..I would love your opinions...

imperfectly_lou
10-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I can completely understand why you are tired and not seeing ay results... :( Cardio 7 days a week? On a max of 80g carbs and 1300cals per day? You are undereating and WAYYYY overtraining. The fact that you haven't had your period in several months speaks volumes and you really need to work on increasing your calories (AND carbs) and decreasing your training.

Another thing you may want to think about - your body gets USED to all this cardio. What are you going to do when you start to diet down for competition? 4hrs of cardio a day???

bscrusher
10-16-2004, 06:56 AM
bump lou.

you need to get your metabolism normalized and working right first,

and only then...

try bulking FIRST and cutting SECOND instead of the other way around.

bscrusher
10-16-2004, 10:42 PM
wow! 4th year "kinesology" student???? you don't know sh**!

"certified personal trainer and certified fitness consultant"??? unfortunately this is all too typical.

there is a lesson here concerning the "quality" of our "experts" in the fitness industry.

instead of jumping through your own a** with these crazy excercise programs why not focus on.... YOUR CLASSES!!!!

what a concept. then you might actually learn something.

the most effective program for you is two lifting sessions a week, 45 minutes each. nothing else. that's what i did in college, i was in awesome shape and had a 3.9 gpa.

unless you have very rare and indestructable genetics you are in no way going to be ready for competition or anything else by april. why don't you set the competition idea aside and concentrate on learning what you are supposed to be learning?

i apologise for not reading your post more thoroughly before i made my first post.

blondey
10-17-2004, 10:05 AM
wow! 4th year "kinesology" student???? you don't know sh**!

"certified personal trainer and certified fitness consultant"??? unfortunately this is all too typical.

there is a lesson here concerning the "quality" of our "experts" in the fitness industry.

instead of jumping through your own a** with these crazy excercise programs why not focus on.... YOUR CLASSES!!!!

what a concept. then you might actually learn something.

the most effective program for you is two lifting sessions a week, 45 minutes each. nothing else. that's what i did in college, i was in awesome shape and had a 3.9 gpa.

unless you have very rare and indestructable genetics you are in no way going to be ready for competition or anything else by april. why don't you set the competition idea aside and concentrate on learning what you are supposed to be learning?

i apologise for not reading your post more thoroughly before i made my first post.

What in God's name is your proble? I am not asking school advice. And for you information I am very f***in smart and good at what I do. I have been on the Dean's list since I started school and have received 2 academic scholarhips. Knowing is not doing ok. Also for your information I am also in great shape, probably one of the bext bodies at my school actually, and I have been told that. You dont need to come on here and bash me. Thanks for nothing, I can figure my own **** out. Get a ****in life, you spend hours on end on these bodybuilding forums to even have a life. As you can tell by my number of posts I dont waste my time on here, and you just reminded me why! haha

Later

bscrusher
10-17-2004, 11:19 AM
thank you blondey, for an excellent demonstration of ignorance, weakness, dishonesty, and creative spelling and grammar.

lwdinva
10-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Hello! You know, disregarding all the nasty posts preceding mine, I wanted to respond to your original post. Your post and college experience reminded me of mine. And I am just telling you my story 'cause I worry about women in college who do the same thing I did, and end up with the same problems. Not that my problems are severe, but here's the thing: like you, I trained a LOT in college, but the overtraining created a lot of problems LATER. I ran x-country, lifted weights, read all I could about training, etc. I ate a supremely clean diet before anyone was talking about clean diets.

I also suffered, at times, from amenorrhea (which is extremely bad for anyone long-term, as you know).

Anyway, the point is that I trained hard, ate well but not enough (about the same as you). Over the past 15 years - I'm 35 now - it's been harder and harder for me to lose weight. I am NOT fat. I still eat clean. I still train hard. But my hormones (adrenal/corsisol output especially) could not keep up this training schedule and low-cal diet. My BMR lowered, I gained some fat, and now I am a steady 20 percent body fat. No matter how little or clean I eat, I do NOT move.

I could tell you more about my personal hormonal and other issues (including depression, which I now know was caused by insufficient nutrition to for seratonin production). I am only telling you this because I firmly believe that what we do to our bodies long-term profoundly effects our hormones in ways that science is only beginning to understand. And I know -- believe me, I know! -- what you are feeling - to train hard for this desired body, to get it, and to want to keep it. I, too, had what was considered a great figure in college. (And I am happy with my body now -- and get plenty of compliments, though it's changed).

But I also know that to continue to train the same way I did backfires. I myself have felt it, and I've seen it happen to others, particularly women.

And despite BSCrushers uncalled-for ranting and patronizing post, it has an inkling of truth, and that is that you are probably training too hard. ;0)

I have a hunch that being your age, you're disinclined to take what I have to say too seriously, since we all think (and I'm guilty as well) that we know enough not to have the same thing happen to us. But I really hope that you'll consider what I have to say.

In any case, I wish you well and hope your school and training proceed successfully.

Lil Bullet
10-26-2004, 09:00 PM
you asked for opinions, so here goes. this is coming from a current npc figure competitor.

you are not eating enough calories to support all of your physical activity. 1300 calories is barely suitable for a person lying in bed all day. you should eat more and do less cardio, and focus on weight lifting if you want to compete in figure.

good luck!

featherz
10-26-2004, 10:29 PM
I gotta chime in here and agree.

I lost my period doing probably half the amount of activity you are doing and never eating less than 1500 calories a day. I'm now up to 2K calories a day and trying to cut way back on the cardio in order to get my hormones on track (haven't gained anything so far, eating clean and upping the weights). I wouldn't say no to losing an extra % or two of body fat at some point in the future, but not having your period is saying that something's wrong.

Start upping your calories and cutting out a day or two of the cardio!

One more thing, I lost 42 pounds and still had 40% of my intake from carbs. So they aren't necessarily evil. :) :)

ncgirl21
10-27-2004, 08:11 AM
I would start slowly so you don't gain weight. Slowly drop your cardio down slightly and up your calories by like 100 every four or five days. Bring carbs back in on a daily basis, but do it slowly. Oatmeal, wholegrain breads, low sugar yogurts, oatbran, wheatbran, wheat germ, potatoes, brown rice, etc. would be excellent additions to your current diet. Good Luck!!

featherz
10-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Yep, I agree. This is similar to what I did. When I started getting 'hormonally challenged' I started to add calories slowly and drop out some cardio. Probably still doing too much as the hormones are still out of whack, but I do believe it is helping. I went to 1600, then 1700, then 1800, etc - now I'm at around 1800-2K and doing cardio 4x/week plus weights 3/week (still too much but I'm working on upping calories primarily to find my limit).

If you're having problems adding enough calories, don't forget good fats like natural peanut butter and flax oil!