PDA

View Full Version : Oats... and low GI carbs!!

Dray
10-15-2004, 07:14 PM
When you guys say Oats, what do you mean? is it a cereal, or oatmeal? WHAT BRAND?!? How much do you usually eat a day and what times. Is there anything specific i should look for on the label (fiber, vitamins, etc.)?

I'm Looking for healthy low GI carbs to get me through the day. I eat a bag of pretzels and a powerade after workouts b/c of the high sugar content in the sports drink, and hi GI of pretzels, but i'm looking for good carbs for long lasting energy. If i'm trying to cut weight, is pasta good?

Thanks

MotoGirl
10-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I get the Old Fashioned Quaker oats in a tub. Deeee-lish! The ones in a packet that are flavored are packed with tons of sugar. I like:

1c oats
1/2c fat free lactaid (or skim milk if you prefer)
1/2c water
Cinnamon
2 or 3 packs Splenda (trying to stop using)

Thunder_Bunny
10-16-2004, 06:08 AM
Old Fashioned Oatmeal.

Not the instant or express/flavored variety. Those are usually loaded with sugar and are high GI.

If you're going to have pasta I would opt for the whole wheat or low-carb kind. But if you're trying to cut down I would avoid pasta altogether.

Emma-Leigh
10-16-2004, 05:20 PM
When you guys say Oats, what do you mean? is it a cereal, or oatmeal? WHAT BRAND?!? How much do you usually eat a day and what times. Is there anything specific i should look for on the label (fiber, vitamins, etc.)? Most people call rolled oats 'oatmeal', although, technically, oatmeal is ground oats and something completely different...

I buy both Scotch Oats (also called Steel Cut Oats) and Wholegrain Rolled Oats. Steel cut oats have a lower GI than the rolled oats (as they are the whole oat just cut into bits) but they take a lot longer to cook.

Brands? I am not sure of thee brands in America. But look for an ingredient list that says one thing: 'Oats'.

The 'smaller' and more processed the oat bits, the higher the GI. So go for wholegrain thickly rolled rolled oats rather than thin oats, quick oats or instant oats.

I eat a bag of pretzels and a powerade after workouts b/c of the high sugar content in the sports drink, and hi GI of pretzels,
Well that is a fast way to get yourself fat and get poor results in the gym! After your workouts you should still be taking in nutritionally beneficial foods, not just junk. Post-workout is a prime time for anabolism and you are feeding your muscles pretzels??!!

If i'm trying to cut weight, is pasta good?
I tend to stay away from it - it has a high GL (glycaemic load) which means a little serving packs in a lot of carbohydrates. Also, being processed, it has lost a lot of the nutrients that would have made the grain it came from beneficial.

So stick to whole foods in my opinion.

Dray
10-17-2004, 09:27 AM
What would u suggest to eat after a workout then?

Emma-Leigh
10-18-2004, 03:33 AM
What would u suggest to eat after a workout then?

Not pretzels and gatorade that is for sure!!

Whey (a constant) then take your pick of:
- Thinly rolled oats
- Dairy products such as skim milk, fat-free/sugar free yoghurt
- High glucose fruits such as banana, grapes, dates

Much better for you and much better for recovery.

Madevilz
03-29-2005, 05:30 PM
I bought this one:
http://smartspot.ca/product_detail.php?id=14

is it good?

rjb3687
03-30-2005, 04:06 PM
In the morning for breakfast is it okay to combine oatmeal with protein powder and mix in an apple or some fruit? I normally do and also have egg whites too. Is that okay? I am trying to gain about 5-10 lbs of muscle. I try to eat oatmeal throughout the day. How much do you suggest?

Emma-Leigh
03-30-2005, 04:26 PM
In the morning for breakfast is it okay to combine oatmeal with protein powder and mix in an apple or some fruit? I normally do and also have egg whites too. Is that okay? I am trying to gain about 5-10 lbs of muscle. I try to eat oatmeal throughout the day. How much do you suggest?
I believe I have answered this exact question from you before:

Here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=5229557#post5229557

Alinasmommy
03-30-2005, 06:21 PM

when I do eat oatmeal I always combine it with a serving of protein powder and some fruite (either .25c mixed berreis or half a small apple/pear chopped up)