PDA

View Full Version : A theory about transdermals...

Crywolf
10-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Hi,

Here's something I've been wondering and haven't found much on.

I hear people estimate transdermals to be about 30%-40% absorbed through the skin. Which means a lot of it stays on the skin. (right?)

Let's assume this is an estimate based on X amount applied (say in the case of ****, that's 5 squirts twice a day = 10 squirts). I'm also assuming the reason for the absorption rate is because the skin can only absorb so much of this product in a given amount of time (say 12 hours).

Therefore, would it be correct to assume the product would be better absorbed if:
1) smaller amounts (say 2 or 3 squirts) were applied more often (3 or 4 or more times a day, practical considerations aside)?

AND/OR

2) The product was applied to a wider area/all appropriate body parts in order to compensate for the skin's limited absorbtion rate?

AND

3) larger doses (say in the case of ****, 6-8 squirts) a waste of product because if 5 squirts means about 60-70% stays on the skin, extra squirts would also stay on the skin (remember, 5 is an assumption)

Anyone tried any of the above and gotten better/worse results? Or is my thinking off base here?

Thanks.

bigpump23
10-15-2004, 12:17 PM
I hate transdermals, that much i can say

Audioslave
10-15-2004, 12:26 PM
I hate transdermals, that much i can say

Why is that?

bigpump23
10-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Why is that?

I think people make them out to be more then they are, I'd rather take a pill then having to worry about applying a gel

Waxesponge49
10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Its not that much of a hassle. Most of the transdermals dry relatively fast.

dio
10-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi,

Here's something I've been wondering and haven't found much on.

I hear people estimate transdermals to be about 30%-40% absorbed through the skin. Which means a lot of it stays on the skin. (right?)

Let's assume this is an estimate based on X amount applied (say in the case of ****, that's 5 squirts twice a day = 10 squirts). I'm also assuming the reason for the absorption rate is because the skin can only absorb so much of this product in a given amount of time (say 12 hours).

Therefore, would it be correct to assume the product would be better absorbed if:
1) smaller amounts (say 2 or 3 squirts) were applied more often (3 or 4 or more times a day, practical considerations aside)?

AND/OR

2) The product was applied to a wider area/all appropriate body parts in order to compensate for the skin's limited absorbtion rate?

AND

3) larger doses (say in the case of ****, 6-8 squirts) a waste of product because if 5 squirts means about 60-70% stays on the skin, extra squirts would also stay on the skin (remember, 5 is an assumption)

Anyone tried any of the above and gotten better/worse results? Or is my thinking off base here?

Thanks.

I'm hardly an expert on transdermals, but I can tell you a few things:

1. transdermals are inherently time released due to how they move through the various layers of the skin, As a result, applying any more than twice/day is most likely overkill.

2. You could certainly apply it to more of your body to get more absorbed, but after a while it will become counter productive.

3There's a saturation point for the carriers, which when exceeded causes them to clump up and in some cases become useless. So you can certainly increase the dosing in some products (this is how Mike create Big 1) but you should do it slowly to avoid wasting any product.

For detailed articles on transdermal delivery, check out mindandmuscle.net. The early issues feature some pretty good info.

Sanosuke
10-15-2004, 02:06 PM
I think people make them out to be more then they are, I'd rather take a pill then having to worry about applying a gel
same here.. on top of that derma bolics carrier just plain sucks.. t-gel isnt bad but its still a pain.. ive noticed even 8 hours after applying derma bolics brand it still remains on the skin no matter how hard you rub.. my girlfriend was not to happy after kissing me on my chest and getting a lovley taste in her mouth, and this was about 6 hours after an application.. i really wouldnt recommend them especially if you have a baby... it may be ok with 1-2 sprays but to get a good amount you need about 5 sprays 2x a day and if you stacking transdermals its even worse.. id just stick with a pin or a pill

legalgear
10-15-2004, 02:14 PM
You can't really get past that. We seem to have a decent mix in our Dermasize, but we have been through many versions. I happen to like our standard prohormone blend because it dries nicely and seems to work really well. The T-Gel was very nice because of the formulation and smooth texture. No matter what, you will get residue though...

E

bluehazard
10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
same here.. on top of that derma bolics carrier just plain sucks.. t-gel isnt bad but its still a pain.. ive noticed even 8 hours after applying derma bolics brand it still remains on the skin no matter how hard you rub.. my girlfriend was not to happy after kissing me on my chest and getting a lovley taste in her mouth, and this was about 6 hours after an application.. i really wouldnt recommend them especially if you have a baby... it may be ok with 1-2 sprays but to get a good amount you need about 5 sprays 2x a day and if you stacking transdermals its even worse.. id just stick with a pin or a pill

How much were you using? I had no trouble at 800mgs/day (two 8ml applications per day).

bluehazard
10-15-2004, 02:27 PM
You can't really get past that. We seem to have a decent mix in our Dermasize, but we have been through many versions. I happen to like our standard prohormone blend because it dries nicely and seems to work really well. The T-Gel was very nice because of the formulation and smooth texture. No matter what, you will get residue though...

E

I'm interested in seeing how dermasize works out for you guys. You seemed to have a really positive pretest, I'd like to see the results of everyone who just ordered the product.

Sanosuke
10-15-2004, 02:31 PM
How much were you using? I had no trouble at 800mgs/day (two 8ml applications per day).
i was doing 5 sprays 2x a day of big 1 and 6 spays 2x a day of 4derm

bluehazard
10-15-2004, 02:55 PM
i was doing 5 sprays 2x a day of big 1 and 6 spays 2x a day of 4derm

Hmm... I was using an oral syringe to measure out the exact dosage in ml's...