PDA

View Full Version : Please evaluate my program

deedeenc
10-11-2004, 09:00 PM
I have been lifting weights off and on for about 2 years but nothing really serious. I currently and 5'6 and weigh 139 pounds. According to my doctor I an 21% bodyfat. My measurements are 34, 25, 37. I would like to drop 10 or so more pounds. I want to ease myself into a moderate intensity program so got out all of my fitness magazines and attempted to put together a program. Tell me what you think

Cardio- 3 to 4 times a week alternating between regular steady paced programs and interval training

Weights

Bicep curls
Bench Press
Squats
Deadlifts
Tricep Kickbacks
Military Press
One Arm Rows

I was thinking about 3 sets of each exercise 2 times a week for the first two weeks and then bumping up the weight each week there after. I was going to use this program for 5 or so weeks and then create another one by adding more exercises. I really want to start off with the basics and add on slowly as I go.

bscrusher
10-12-2004, 08:45 AM
if all you want to do is lose 10 lbs you have no need of excercise at all. you can just eat less.

why do you want to lose this 10 lbs? do you think you will look or feel better when you read this magical number on your scale?

how about this, why not look in the mirror and see what you would like to improve upon as concerns your physical appearance? then decide if maybe you would like to feel stronger and more energetic, maybe you would like to improve your posture and general physical ability.

then you could formulate a program to match these goals. because the goals make sense, the program will make sense.

leave the scale alone, it only confuses and frustrates beginners. that goes double for the bf% calculations.

whatever your goals turn out to be, you will be better served by keeping your lifting sessions down to 2-4 excercises per session.

why so much cardio? are you competing in some sort of racing or endurance sport?

why do you want to ease yourself into a "moderate intensity program"? what do you hope this will accomplish? where will you be easing into from?

adding excercises almost makes a program less effective, not more effective.

take what you read in those fitness magazines with a large grain of salt.

bscrusher
10-12-2004, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=bscrusher]

adding excercises almost makes a program less effective, not more effective.

i meant to write "almost always", not just "almost".

krankyprincess
10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
bcrusher, are you saying a program gets less effective when more excercises are added because you should work hard enough that your body can't handle anymore after 2 exercises? please explain what your idea of a good workout is.

bscrusher
10-12-2004, 10:44 PM
hi krank, i think you've got it.

my idea of a good workout depends on a person's goals. i think for everyone, especially beginners, a straight muscle mass building program will do a world of good.

see the information i posted on the threads entitled, "shoulders, what did i do?", started by dbflgl, and "split vs fbody - myths or not?!" started by tango 650.

if dee will drop the tricep kickbacks and one arm rows and split the remainder into three workouts, this will be an improvement whatever her goals. also she could add calve press on squat day and cut the cardio down to 1 HIIT session a week, or cut it out entirely.

so her program could look like this...

monday - squat and calve press

tuseday - rest

wed - HIIT

thur - rest

fri - bench and military press

sat - rest

sun - rest

mon - deadlift and barbell curl

tue - rest and so on...

or... just take out the HIIT and replace it with rest.

for some people bench and military will be too much, so replace military with bench dips or skull crushers.

bscrusher
10-14-2004, 03:52 PM
sorry, i meant to write "dbflgirl" as opposed to "dbflgl".

jul
10-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Mon.Wed.Fri :2x pulldowns, 2x of incline presses, 2x lunges, 2x shoulder presses, 2x BB curls,2x tri. pushdowns, 2x calf raises, crunches.

Tues.Thur. cardio

After 4-6 wks. add new exercises and go into a split program (Day 1-chest shoulders,tri's/ Day 2 legs,back,and bi.'s

Remember to train you're larger muscle groups first.Continue lifting.You want to lose weight but not at the expense of losing lean muscle.

bscrusher
10-14-2004, 09:27 PM
jul, what kind of half-a**ed post is that? is that supoposed to be a plan for dee to lose 10 lbs, or a muscle mass plan for krank? that goofy "program" is no where near effective for either purpose, or for any purpose i can think of. you are a rank noob. you need to do a lot of learning so you can post without making an a** of yourself.

trnurbdy48
10-15-2004, 01:38 AM
I have been lifting weights off and on for about 2 years but nothing really serious. I currently and 5'6 and weigh 139 pounds. According to my doctor I an 21% bodyfat. My measurements are 34, 25, 37. I would like to drop 10 or so more pounds. I want to ease myself into a moderate intensity program so got out all of my fitness magazines and attempted to put together a program. Tell me what you think

Cardio- 3 to 4 times a week alternating between regular steady paced programs and interval training

Weights

Bicep curls
Bench Press
Squats
Deadlifts
Tricep Kickbacks
Military Press
One Arm Rows

I was thinking about 3 sets of each exercise 2 times a week for the first two weeks and then bumping up the weight each week there after. I was going to use this program for 5 or so weeks and then create another one by adding more exercises. I really want to start off with the basics and add on slowly as I go.

In the world of anaerobic training.........less is more. 3 days of anaerobic training with 2 days of aerobic (max. 30 minutes) is more than adequat to accomplish any goal. When I say aerobic training I don't mean standing on a treadmill, I mean keep your body moving, your HR elevated performing ANY kind of activity whether it be walking, bicycling, dancing, cleaning the house, swimming etc. Anaerobic training = Epoc, aerobic training = cardiovascular improvement. 3 exercises per major muscle group (2-3 sets, 10-12 reps), 2-3 for minor ( 2 sets x 10-12 reps) using light to moderate weight until your form is perfected (adaptation period). Once you have perfected your form and your body has adapted to the weight etc, it will be time to bump it up. More weight, fewer reps. Keep changing your routines to prevent adaptation. "Clark's Law"="The body will take the path of least resistance". make your neuromuscular system think! Most importantly though, and this is what we all hate to hear, 80 % of the equation is diet. With the proper diet and exercise plan you will create the optimum environment for metabolic change.

jul
10-15-2004, 10:15 AM
bscrusher...you aren't worth my time!

jul
10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Good post Laurie, you covered this in much better detail.

deedeenc
10-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone; I appreciate your honesty. I think I am just going to try the body for life program and go from there. Thanks again