PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life

Dan K
06-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey guys. I'm pretty new here - posted a couple of times, but nothing really involving. But that's all about to change! I've finally had enough of being the way I am. I want to make a change. But I think that the only way that I can do it, is if I'm open about it! I hope that if I let other people get an insight into why I am out of shape, I won't be ashamed about it anymore, and maybe even get some support reaching my goals!

Ok, where to begin! First of all, I'll be revealing some embarrassing facts & figures, and revealing some personal info, which usually, I would hate to do, but if I'm going to do this, I want to do it properly, with no shame!

I won't say that I've always been overweight. In fact, when I was younger, I was quite skinny. I learned some bad habbits from my grandparents though. My nan & grandad were very overweight. My nan would make cakes and such regularly, and she'd sneek them to me when I was a kid, without my mum knowing. I've always been pretty big - certainly more so than most people - I had size 5 shoes in primary school! But as such, I was singled out, and bullied quite alot. I also came from quite an unhappy household - I would turn to food and computer games as a form of escape. As such, I would get bigger, get bullied more, and in turn get bigger from more eating. It was quite obvious that for most of my childhood/teenage years, I was a very unhappy individual.

That would all change after leaving school, and entering college. I came into my own as a young adult, and became alot more comfortable with myself. I started lifting weights, and eating more sensibly. I started getting noticed by girls more, had more friends - so on & so forth. Just as my college course was finishing, the last day in fact, my 3 year old dog, Forrest, was hit by a car and was killed. I lost my best friend, and for the first time in years, felt very depressed. As such, I turned back to the food, and at one point weighed in at around 252lbs with quite little lean mass. I was unhealthy, unhappy, and didn't look after my appearance very well - I didn't shave very often. It was around that time when I looked in a mirror, and it suddenly hit me! I swear to God, looked just like Mario! I started dieting, and lost alot of fat - getting down to around 205lbs - Just as I started university. I managed to maintain this weight quite well. I wasn't really in shape, but I wasn't too bad! After dropping out of university in late 2002, and getting a job behind a bar, I managed to get down to around 183lbs. Didn't last too long, as the money wasn't great. I took an unrewarding job in retail, and I went back up to around 210, with not alot of lean mass.

Then came Claire. I met her when I was working behind the bar. She was a barmaid, married to one of the doormen. We got on very well indeed. We actually started conversing more after I quit. I would confide in her with issues and such, and we became closer. Big mistake! I let on that I'd never been with a girl before (I was 20 years old ffs!), and one night, completely out of the blue, she said something along the lines of that if she wasn't married, she would... Well you guys get the drift. She kept pushing, and I kept resisting - until 2 days before my 21st birthday, when I lost my virginity to an attractive 25 year old woman, married to a bouncer, with a kid... I soon found out that I wasnt the only one though - she was with one of my best mates too. She essentially used both of us to end her marriage. That was the end of pretty much any confidence I had left. Something I'm still struggling to get back.

I got a job as a PC technician a while later, I've been pretty overweight ever since then. I essentially gave up caring about it, and actually started hating myself for my lack of self control and such. For a couple of months at the start of last year, I would have big binges, and then make myself throw up afterwards. There was a time when I couldn't even eat a baked potatoe without wanting to purge afterwards. I decided to make a change around June last year - and started training quite alot. In fact, I got the the point when I was overtraining, and I injured both my shoulders. It wasn't until February this year that I could actually get back into it. And I did - quite seriously in fact. I was off sick from work with some foot issues, and had alot of spare time. For 3 months, I made some very good gains! I was proud of myself for the first time in ages! But after my foot had healed my enthusiasm started to wain with the pressures of work. For essentially the last month and a half, I've only had a few training sessions, and my diet has been very, very poor. In fact I was smoking cannabis quite alot, and getting the munchies quite frequently. I'd be picking at biscuits during the day, I'd be drinking beer, eating chocolate, ice cream etc. None of it was any good. In fact, I think I put on about 7/8lbs. Now I don't know how much of that is water retention etc. I'm hoping that it isn't too much pure fat. I noiced that I'd be feeling irratable, sluggish, tired, depressed, quick to anger. So in a single moment of realisation a couple of days ago, I flushed a *whole* bunch of cannabis. But that still left the poor eating habbits and such.

The thing is, I know that it's my own fault. I have a choice. I always had the choice, I just kept making the wrong descisions as they were the easier option. I decided today that everything has to change!

Today, I decided to give the old me one final farewell, with a horrific binge of all the really crappy food that I'll never binge on again:

http://img135.imagevenue.com/loc499/th_39359_junk_122_499lo.jpg (http://img135.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=39359_junk_122_499lo.jpg)

I can't believe that I plowed through all that crap! I just feel really bad about it at the moment! To be honest, I still have a beer & the can of coke left over. For the first time in ages, I wanted to make myself throw up again! I feel really, really guilty! This is no good! It has to stop! I cant keep yo-yo'ing my weight up and down! I have to learn self control, adhere to my commitment, and become the confident person that I should be!

6 Reasons why I have to do this:

1: My health - I want to feel healthy, and I want to live a long, rewarding life!
2: My state of mind - I wan't to feel confident inmy self as a person, and feel that I'm worth something!
3: I havn't had sex since December 5th 2003!
4: I havn't kissed a girl since April last year!
5: See #3!
6: I want to, for the first time in years, feel comfortable with my body!

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life! It will take some adjusting, but I have to do this. My weight training routine served me well for a few months, and I made good progress, so I'll not be modifying this. My diet will need some modification in regards to calorie intakes, macros etc - I don't eat meat, have some vegetable allergies, and issues with dairy. Most of my protien and alot of my caloric intake comes from whey shakes, and over time, I hope to adjust this to a more suitable diet. I just need to get a start for the moment.

I didn't weigh myself this morning. I suppose I was too ashamed, but I'm currently around the 225lbs mark, and I think around 20-22% body fat. I tend to put it around my chest, face, and back mostly I guess. I have an ok level of muscle, and I have pretty skinny arms and legs, in fact in the first image below, you can see the veins on my right arm pretty easily! =) Here's what I'm dealing with (please excuse the shots of the boxer shorts :/ ) I took these photo's this morning before work. This is actually really hard for me to do. I hate photographs being taken of myself. Really hate it! I hate the condition my skin is in, due to my poor diet & such, and I hate the shape my body is in at the moment. Put all 3 together, and....

http://img21.imagevenue.com/loc852/th_39348_side_122_852lo.jpg (http://img21.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=39348_side_122_852lo.jpg)
http://img127.imagevenue.com/loc634/th_39365_front_122_634lo.jpg (http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=39365_front_122_634lo.jpg)
http://img142.imagevenue.com/loc532/th_39372_face_2_122_532lo.jpg (http://img142.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=39372_face_2_122_532lo.jpg)
http://img18.imagevenue.com/loc795/th_39375_face_1_122_795lo.jpg (http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=39375_face_1_122_795lo.jpg)

So, this is the start of my long, arduous journey, the start of regular visits to the forums here, and hopefully the start of some new friendships.

Well, here goes nothing! Wish me luck! God knows I'll need it ;)
-Dan

chrischap01
06-30-2007, 09:50 PM
You can definitely do this man! Good luck!!

Saint Mike
07-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Best of luck on your new lifestyle. You will find that these forums are a great help.

jklv
07-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Congaratulations for the first step to a new life!
Good luck man!

EvoSummer
07-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Hey Dan,

It's great that you're taking this HUGE step to bettering your whole life. You've realized that eating unhealthy and purging is terrible for you. I know that right now you feel awful about the way you look and your lack of self confidence, but it's great that you're documenting it not only because it's great to voice your situation to people who are here to support you, but because when you start seeing that progress you'll know that you made the right decision. You're going to gain that self confidence and you really are going to start a new life. You just need to be motivated and driven to sticking to it. The hardest part is staying on track with your diet so be sure to work as hard as possible and to use this thread as a way to not lose control and to gain tips about how to accomplish everything you've ever wanted. Good luck man.

jklv
07-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Totally Agree with Evo.
And remember Bodybuilding is 80% diet, 20%lifting

Cape1
07-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Those are some fine Ale's to be giving up Bro! Good luck. Keep the faith and drive hard!!!

Dan K
07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey guys! Thanks for all the support! I've got an awful long way to go, but I hope that I can do it!

The last week hasn't been great. Not awful, but not ideal. A week of work stress, a diabetic dog, and a whole bunch of other crap put training etc. at a lower priority :) Only got one weights session in: My legs, for the first time in 2 months!

As I said, I've a long way to go, but I'm still confident! I've been shopping, and have worked out my caloric intakes, and macros - more real food, and less whey shakes ( I'm sick of these ;) ) including foodstuffs which are green in colour!

Diet has been better this week. I havn't put any weight on certainly. My 2 main vices are chocolate & alcohol. Giving up those ales was the first (and tough) step, chocolate being the second (not quite their yet)

I realise a life changing step as the new healthy lifestyle I've decided to adopt cannot be made in an instant (unfortunately) but I'm happy transitional period is nearing an end, and in the next few days, I'll be adhering strictly to my new, healthy diet.

:D

Hotmoltenlava
07-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey guys! Thanks for all the support! I've got an awful long way to go, but I hope that I can do it!

The last week hasn't been great. Not awful, but not ideal. A week of work stress, a diabetic dog, and a whole bunch of other crap put training etc. at a lower priority :) Only got one weights session in: My legs, for the first time in 2 months!

Hey Dan,

My advice would be to post your diet, post your lifting and post your cardio. Do it often. Your opening diatribe was brilliant, but you didn't follow thru. Make yourself accountable to us. Post when you screw up and post when you succeed. You will eventually make this lifestyle a habit. Until you do that, you will make yourself miserable and won't move forward......and won't have sex ever, ever again (JUST KIDDING...you seemed to be obsessing in your diatribe). Good luck.....:D

**subscribed and repped**

Dan K
07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I wish you had have posted that a few days ago! :D Starting as of tomorrow morning, detailed diet, lifting & cardio logs! Motivation is my main issue (most of the time I figure that I've enough to stress about without this on top). Just need a few more posts like yours haha! Tomorrow is chest/tricep day. I havn't had a decent pressing session for a while (can't go too overboard due to my shoulder issues) but I'm actually looking foward to tomorrows effort!

Thanks buddy!

Hotmoltenlava
07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I wish you had have posted that a few days ago! :D Starting as of tomorrow morning, detailed diet, lifting & cardio logs! Motivation is my main issue (most of the time I figure that I've enough to stress about without this on top). Just need a few more posts like yours haha! Tomorrow is chest/tricep day. I havn't had a decent pressing session for a while (can't go too overboard due to my shoulder issues) but I'm actually looking foward to tomorrows effort!

Thanks buddy!

No problem. One more thing......Motivation is not some mystical power that just flows into you or falls on special people. You motivate yourself. No one else can do that for you, unless you go to jail or join the army or are bitch slapped by the man. Tell yourself you are going to do it and do it. It's that easy.

Go do it. We'll be watching you.

cawiau
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Dan we all got your back
You can do this.

PopeGregorius
07-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Mate, the MOST important think I have learned over the past 10 years, is that 70% of people put weight back on after losing it. There are dozens of eating plans that will let you lose weight. Think more about not putting back on the weight you have lost.

ALso I read it takes about a month for a new activity to become a habit. Keep up the work!

Dan K
07-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, the day isn't quite over yet, but it almost is....

As for diet, by the end of the day I would have consumed 2 eggs, 3 tins of tuna, 2 whey shakes, 150g of basmati rice, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, a 15cal tablespoon of extra light mayo with a small amount of ketchup, and a whole bunch of lettuce & celery... The calories work out really well for my target, and the macros are very accurate in regards to correct %. Before anyone mentions, I don't eat meat or poultry, I have some vegetable allergies, problems with high GI foods, a wheat intollerence, and issues with dairy (yes, when I eat junk, I do feel unwell & have stomach aches - haha), so my diet is boring, and not varied, but it is healthy.

Cardio... I really, really hate cardio. And there's no way I could sit at a stationary bike for 30 mins, but I can handle 2x15 min stretches. One at the start, and one at the end of the day. Not ideal, but better than nothing :)

My lifting was very poor today. My first chest/tricep day for a month. I wont post actual weight numbers for the moment (not very much thanks to my shoulder issues), but I could only do 4 sets of bench presses at 10 reps, and 4 sets of incline bench presses, at 10 reps. 12.5% less weight and a couple of exercises fewer than when I was in full swing a couple of months back. I attempted some tricep bar presses, but during warmup, I got a bad tingle down my left forearm. I decided not to proceed in case of injury... :(

Went to my local supermarket, and walked passed all my favourites - and it sure did put me in a bad mood... So I'm spending the rest of the evening playing resident evil 4 and watching old episodes of Deadwood!

So, my first day in, I'm not feeling as good as I should. Maybe I will feel better tomorrow :)

chrischap01
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Went to my local supermarket, and walked passed all my favourites - and it sure did put me in a bad mood... So I'm spending the rest of the evening playing resident evil 4 and watching old episodes of Deadwood!

RE4 and Deadwood may be a little dark if you are trying to get in a better mood! ;)

chrischap01
07-07-2007, 01:48 PM
repped you for liking Deadwood though!

great show

Hotmoltenlava
07-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Cardio... I really, really hate cardio.

Most people do. I am one of the sick and demented ones that enjoys it. Scary. All you have to do is hate being overweight more than you hate cardio. That makes it an easy choice.

My lifting was very poor today.

Have to start somewhere. It will improve. You'll be amazed with your progress in a few months. That is why a log is important. You can see your progress.

Have a good one.

Dan K
07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Just got home from quite a stressful day at work, and am now looking after my parents diabetic dog whilst they are at a Genesis concert. They've left me a jam doughnut & a packet of bacon flavoured crisps... And it's pretty hot & the ice cream man has just pulled up outside...

I'm about to have my preworkout meal of rice, tuna, & salad... Great... This new lifestyle is doing nothing for my mood at al :/.

Hotmoltenlava
07-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Just got home from quite a stressful day at work, and am now looking after my parents diabetic dog whilst they are at a Genesis concert. They've left me a jam doughnut & a packet of bacon flavoured crisps... And it's pretty hot & the ice cream man has just pulled up outside...

I'm about to have my preworkout meal of rice, tuna, & salad... Great... This new lifestyle is doing nothing for my mood at al :/.

Good to see you posting daily. In a few weeks, you will get used to it. Just suffer through the first few. Once you see results and get into a routine, it will be easier. You are definitely not the only one suffering....:D

Have a good one.

rmedina8804
07-08-2007, 03:01 PM
you can definitely do it bro! just stay motivated! heres a tip that helps me stay dedicated! i took a picture of myself when i first started. i noticed you did too. take that pic and put it on something you look at constantly. i.e. your desktop background. print it out and post it on the mirror and in the kitchen. i guarantee it will keep you motivated! especially once you see results! just keep pressing we are all in this together!

Dan K
07-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! It's really appreciated! I'll certainly be spreading some reps!

Well, I'm at the start of day 4. Yesterday was my first arm workout for a while. I've lost some strength certainly. I was only curling with around 28.6lbs and managed 9 sets over a couple of different exercises. I gave the triceps a miss as they got a workout on Saturday during my bench presses - I want them ready for todays delt workout (specifically for my behind neck presses). I'm starting up again slowly, but I'm not giving myself any easy workouts by any means =)

Got in 10 mins of cardio before my doctor's apointment this morning. I know ideally, I should be doing longer cardio sessions (mine are usually 15mins on the stationary cycle, followed by a 15 minute walk to work) & HIIT, but as aforementioned, I *HATE* it! I can manage 15 minutes before I start getting really annoyed at the monotony. Time just seems to drag on, whilst conversly, time flies by during lifting! In fact, there was a session a few months ago, where I really hit into my back exercises, and before I knew it, 90 minutes had passed - Counter productive in hindsight, but I was motivated! 15 minutes is better than nothing.

I'm sticking to the diet well. I'm up to 3 bananas a day rather than 2, at the moment. I still have sugar cravings, and a banana is much better than plowing through 6 rich tea biscuits. I've found Pepsi max, and diet coke help to stave off my junk food cravings - Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the whole aspartame situation, but I'd rather go through a few cans than a Ben & Jerry's. It's just to help me get off the sugar - like a nicotine patch I suppose.

Dan K
07-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey guys. Its day 5, and I'm feeling alot better about everything! I've designated Wednesdays as my midweek break. My 1 day a week without lifting or cardio. As I'll be doing both on the other 6 days, I'm ok with it :D

I've been thinking. What are your views on cheat meals? As it has already been established, I'm a bit of a sugar fiend (fast food etc. I'm not bothered with, but I doo have a sweet tooth) and denying myself completely is an effort. Obviously if I do cheat once a week, I wont see results quite as fast, but then again, I don't have any particular goals or timeframes - I'm just trying to make a permanent lifestyle change.

Problem being, although I'm aware that a once a week (reasonable, I'm not talking 3500 calories here) cheat will not hinder progress drastically, in the early stages at least, I'm worried that I will feel guilty and unhappy afterwards. Now the obvious answer I guess would be "if you feel that way, then just don't do it", but then again isn't it all about making a balance?

If you guys cheat, how often do you do it, and with what? If it's a treat such as ice cream, do you skip a meal to balance out the calories?

chrischap01
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I think it depends on you. If you have a tendency to go on sugar binges, I think you need to avoid it completely. If you can have one candy bar per week and stop there, then it might be OK.

The fact that you refer to yourself as a fiend ;) tells me you may be in the first category!

chrischap01
07-11-2007, 10:00 AM
... and if you do cheat don't skip a meal to balance it out, just get back on track with the next meal, as scheduled. No sense in messing up twice!

justdragit
07-11-2007, 10:15 AM
good job. you can do this!! keep with it, cheat every once in a while ... it will help you keep your sanity and it wont really hurt you.

*reps*

cawiau
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
good job. you can do this!! keep with it, cheat every once in a while ... it will help you keep your sanity and it wont really hurt you.

*reps*

X2...at least not to exceed more than once a week.

chrischap01
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM

*reps*
I agree with this generally, but like I said it is not for everybody. Think of it this way: if you are an alcoholic in recovery you wouldn't want to celebrate a week of staying sober by going out and getting hammered! If you have a problem with binging, be careful with cheats. If not, cheats can be very helpful!

Dan K
07-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys :D Don't worry, I'm not gonna binge out on loads of stuff! ;)

So, what would be considered an acceptable cheat? I'm really fancying a Ben & Jerry's at the moment, but is one of those in a week or 2 too much? If I had one of these on my rest day (a wednesday) it will be a calorie surplus after my delt workout the night before (my delts are my weakest body part after injurys in both shoulders & I really, really want to build them up) which is a plus, but then again, it's not great for losing fat...

This is going to sound like a stupid question, as I guess there is no easy answer, but calorie wise, what would be an acceptable amount in a once week cheat?

Hotmoltenlava
07-11-2007, 02:12 PM
So, what would be considered an acceptable cheat?

That is completely up to you. Some people would consider straying from their diet and eating too many calories is a cheat. Some people go crazy for one meal a week. Some people do it twice a week. It is a matter of your dedication and what keeps you moving forward. If you cheat too much this month and don't like your results, cheat half as much and check your results again. You will take steps backward and you will take steps forward. The main goal is to keep moving forward. If you take 20 steps forward and 10 steps backward, you are still moving 10 steps forward! That is why it is important to check your results weekly and monthly (monthly is better, in my opinion). If you don't like what happened, change. If you do like what happened, but you want to do better, change. If you like how you did and are content with your progress......duplicate it over and over until you get to your goal. Look at this as a 6 month or a year project. In a few months, you will understand what you need to do better. Right now, try something and see how it works. In a few months, you will know what works.

Sorry, long winded. Hope this helps.

Have a good one.

Dan K
07-11-2007, 02:32 PM
That is completely up to you. Some people would consider straying from their diet and eating too many calories is a cheat. Some people go crazy for one meal a week. Some people do it twice a week. It is a matter of your dedication and what keeps you moving forward. If you cheat too much this month and don't like your results, cheat half as much and check your results again. You will take steps backward and you will take steps forward. The main goal is to keep moving forward. If you take 20 steps forward and 10 steps backward, you are still moving 10 steps forward! That is why it is important to check your results weekly and monthly (monthly is better, in my opinion). If you don't like what happened, change. If you do like what happened, but you want to do better, change. If you like how you did and are content with your progress......duplicate it over and over until you get to your goal. Look at this as a 6 month or a year project. In a few months, you will understand what you need to do better. Right now, try something and see how it works. In a few months, you will know what works.

Sorry, long winded. Hope this helps.

Have a good one.

I like you! :) You always know the right thing to say! :D

I think a Ben and Jerry's might be pushing it. I'm thinking one of those at the end of each month *if* I've made good gains before hand! I mean, it's around 1100-1200 calories in one of those. Probably pushing it too much.

A pizza from Domino's (double decadence base) would come in at around 1600 or more... Nope!

A big bar of Cadbury's Whole Nut chocolate is also around 1100 - too much there, and I'd prefer the ice cream.

Then I thought of a pot noodle & chocolate bar - floating around the 700 mark, but if I'm gonna cheat, then it should be on something I actually want to cheat on. Some cadbury's chocolate fingers come in at around 750, so a little over half of what the ice cream would have been. And I do actually really like those... The pot noodle would be more nutritious I gather, but then again, thats what all that rice, tuna lettuce, olive oil etc. is for :D So I rekon I'll give those, and a diet drink a go. If I feel crap & regretful afterwards, I'll just stick with a pot noodle next wednesday.

*Reps to all who have taken the time to spur me on, on recharge*

cawiau
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
One thing though...try to hold on as much as you can.
If you can go 3 weeks without a cheat, go 3 weeks
If you can go a month go a month....

Don't make it a regular thing.
The longer you go without a cheat, the more you get used to it, the less you need it.

Good luck

chrischap01
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I had a regular cheat routine in the fall. I ordered a sausage pizza for dinner every Thursday night. I usually ate half of it for dinner, then 2 slices for breakfast the next day and 2 more for lunch. I probably wouldn't recommend it, but I was steadily losing 3-4 pounds per week at that time. I cut out the pizza when I hit a plateau, but I will probably bring it back at some point. Not every week, though!

I did have a Ben and Jerry's cone once as a cheat. I debated whether or not to do it, then decided I had earned it. I went in and ordered a single scoop of chocolate peanut butter in a plain sugar cone, and the girl working there gave me two enormous scoops in a chocolate covered waffle cone. I did not eat it all, but that cheat ended up being about a 1000 calories more than I had planned!

Dan K
07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, I had my cheat for this week - Made a compromise calorie wise & went for the chocolate fingers... Got a mad sugar rush, headache, & slight stomach ache too... Lesson learned! Hahaha

Dan K
07-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Day 6: Weighed myself this morning. I'm actually up 3lbs from when I weighed myself last friday :(

EvoSummer
07-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Muscle gain, water retention, etc. I also went up a pound after my first week cutting.

Do not trust your scale. Find a way to measure your hips, waist, chest, legs, etc. and you'll see steady changes instead of the yo-yo of scale life. Last but not least do not let this get you to go on a 12 hour rampage through ben and jerries and pizza. Stay strong and it'll come off. It isn't a 2 week game but a life change. You can do it.

chrischap01
07-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Scales can deceive. For a while I just weighed about once per month and tracked progress by the way my clothes fit.

Dan K
07-12-2007, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I started out that way back in February (before my month and a half relapse).

My legs are my best performing muscles (they grow quite quickly - wish my shoulders would :) ), and I have been doing alot more cardio, squats, leg extentions & calve raises, so I guess that alot of the weight will be down there.

But it's the whole psycological aspect I suppose. Although I realise that I'm making progress, it's still disheartening to see the scale go up! Hahah

cawiau
07-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Did you cheat yesterday??

Don't ever weight in close to your cheat day.
If you cheat on Wednesday, weight in on Sunday
OK.

You are doing a good job, so keep at it.
I cheated yesterday too :p

Dan K
07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
I cheated yesterday too :p

We are rubbish lol

Well, day 7. Almost a week, with only one cheat (which I don't fancy again for a while after that sugar rush & headache). It's alot easier this time round! I'm pretty confident.

Today was back day. Havn't worked out my back for ages, so I decided to fit in a smaller workout to get back into the swing of things. First off, I hate dealifts. It's not the weights that get to me, its the range of motion - It feels more like a cardio workout, and we all know what I think of cardio - Maybe as my fitness levels increase, my tolerance for cardio wil also.

The only things I hate more than deadlifts, are cardio, and not doing deadlifts, as I suppose they are one of the single best exercises. Today, I couldn't even do a warmup set of 15, at 77lbs!!! My knees hurt so much. Now my form is ok, and my weight is placed on my heels to reduce stress on the knee.

I've always had knee issues, I even had a bad spell of water on the knee at primary school, and couldn't walk properly for ages. I can't sit too long in cars withought very bad pain. My knees were no more than "ok" before I started squatting again a couple of weeks back, that's when they started playing up more.

My squat form is ok, and not too heavy (103.4lbs), and originally, I put the pain down to me being pretty heavy (especially the the extra weight that's gone on since I started lifting again), but then again, there are guys on these boards which have a higher body fat %,and weigh more than me, which can squat just fine.

Then it hit me - My family has a *big* history of arthritis. In fact, my mum, who has always been in pretty good shape (apart from the smoking) was diagnosed with it in her shoulders at age 22...

So, instead of the deadlift exercises, I did 3 light sets of good mornings (I need to build my traps up more - the bar really digs into the back area of my neck!)

Say for example, I did have arthritis in my knees, what options whould I have for lower back & leg training?

I think a trip to the doctor may be in order....

goldingpie
07-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Dude you are brave. I have more or less the same thing going on.
Well not the sex part, or the kissing or the married woman (guess this makes my thing totally different?) but I also feel a dier need to lose the kilo's, to feel comfortable, to look sexy. I Aplaud your bravery and I will be following your progress.

Remember the ladies does not just go for looks, no matter what who says (you see it all the times, gorgeous babes with this but ugly dude who thinks he's all that) so have a bit of confidence bro, you are special, no one else is like you and I know a lot of dudes that does not have this kind of courage.

JUST DO IT!!

Saint Mike
07-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Don't get discouraged! When I started my weight went up 10 pounds my first week and then back down 8 my second week. Water retention does some weird crap!

Dan K
07-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the great comments guys! :D I think alot of the problem is definitely my confidence - I base alot of self worth on my appearance :/

Anyway, into week 2 now. My standard, and incline bench has gone up a little, and I've started isolating my tri's again :D Got a long way to go (held back by my delts in alot of things) but I'm on the way :D

I'm actually feeling alot better now - The cravings are far, far less, and I'm alot more confident that I'll get in good shape in due time. I could still be doing more cardio, but I guess some is better than none right?

Still concerned about me knees however... They don't hurt as much today, and I'm about to try my leg exercises. Even if I have to miss out the leg extentions and concentrate on my squats, I at least want to get something in... I'll try to work within my limits. I'll make an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.

Dan K
07-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Hmmm.... The leg workout went ok, still need to get checked out though :(

I'm currently round a friends house with a few mates, and I must admit, I didn't stick to things as well as I'd have liked. I didnt have a chance to get 2 of my meals in today. Very hectic - my weights session was the only time I've had free. And as such, I was very hungry, and gave in to a small slice of home baked plain pizza - Not a very big piece at all, and I'm still quite hungry. It will be a while before I'm home too :(

I don't feel too bad about it to be honest, as it wasn't that big - I was offered half a pizza! And beer... Saying no to the beer was very tough!

So to summise, I did only ok, not great...

Dan K
07-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Arm & lat workout today. Not my best workout, but definitely the best workout I've had in a while! This is getting easier, and I feel really good at the moment :D

Dan K
07-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Delt workout yesterday. Wasn't impressed. My front delts are ok, but I'm really, really let down by my lateral heads: Definitely the weakest part of my body by a biiiiig margin! :(

Get this - seated lateral raises. I struggeled with 5.5lbs! Yup, you heard me! 5.5!!! I suffered 2 shoulder injury's a while back, and my lateral heads have given me trouble for a long time :( I'll just have to keep working at them (once a week...)

On another note, as aforementioned in my previous post, I've assigned wednesdays as a cheat day. I don't go overboard, just something to keep my spirits up until such a point where I don't need a cheat day anymore. I've decided that the wednesday before payday can be something more satisfying - like pizza or ice cream. I had some yum-yums for the first time in ages today, so it probably wouldn't be a great idea to have a pizza, so I may get some ice cream instead.... That's if I get anything at all, that is!

It's early days, and I'm not perfect, but a cheat once a week, and a bigger cheat once a month will help me out alot with my goals - I'll get to the point where I don't miss junk food at all, but like everything, it takes time.

I'm just happy that for the first time in my life, I'm adhereing to a healthy eating program & weight lifting 6 days a week, and getting up in the morning and doing (my much hated) cardio for 4 days a week.

10 steps forward, and 2 steps back is still 8 steps forward - A whole lot better than 0!

My jeans are looser, and I look a little thinner around the face :D Maybe I'll get the body I'd like after all!

Edit: Oh my god! I"ve been researching, and a Ben & Jerry's can have over 60g of fat in it! The second ingredient in most is liquid sugar! I shall be having none of that!

Dan K
07-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Now starting week 3. I'm sticking to my new diet well, and the lifting & cardio are going well, for the most part.

Tried to do squats today, and got a sharp pain in my knees - It was only a warmup set too. I was tempted to work through the pain, but decided not to. I added another 15lbs or so to my leg extention instead - Just to try and get at least some improvement on last week...

Really dissapointed, and worried as to where this is heading. As aforementioned, I have a family history of joint & arthritic issues. I have a doctors appointment this week.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a decent leg/butt workout if I cant do squats or deadlifts in the future?

:(

Hotmoltenlava
07-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a decent leg/butt workout if I cant do squats or deadlifts in the future?

:(

A leg press machine is a nice alternative to squats, although some would disagree. There are really no other alternatives to deadlift, unless you did some seat rows or something.

Have a good one.

chrischap01
07-30-2007, 06:09 AM
In my opinion, leg extensions and leg presses put more pressure directly on your knees than squats do.

If you are feeling pain doing squats but not the others, you may just be overworking the stabilizer muscles. Maybe try to lighten it up a bit and allow them to strengthen up before going to heavy

Dan K
07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
In my opinion, leg extensions and leg presses put more pressure directly on your knees than squats do.

If you are feeling pain doing squats but not the others, you may just be overworking the stabilizer muscles. Maybe try to lighten it up a bit and allow them to strengthen up before going to heavy

I experienced quite a bit of pain whilst warming up with 20kilos!!!! My leg muscles are pretty strong, and I can squat alot more - It's the joints which are letting me down :(

Half way through week 3 - Doing well, but I'm pretty frustrated at the moment. Today is shoulder day. I pulled something in my left shoulder whilst benching on Saturday - Feels alot better now, but I tried a warmup set of behind neck presses, and experienced some pain. I've been here before, and I know that in a couple of days & with some stretching, I'll be ready to go again.

But it's quite frustrating that it will be another week before I can work on my lateral heads again (one of the body parts I'm desperate to strengthen, but have a hard time doing so)... And the resistance belt on my exercise bike broke this morning... That's another ?150 I'm gonna have to shell out!

I think I'll treat myself to a beer tomorrow (it's been a long time)

Not happy!

Progress pics on Sunday morning - Havn't lost much according to the scale (I'm on creatine too), but I think I've lost an inch or so from my waist.

Dan K
08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Think I know why my shoulders & knee's havn't been getting better - I really should have researched better to be honest!

I start off my shoulder routine, every time, with 4 sets of behind neck presses - Which I have been made aware are not suggested for those with previous shouler injuries. I also assumed it was the squats & deadlifts causing my knee troubles. So, instead of doing squats, I added more weight to my leg extensions - Aparently another big no no! Guess what - More knee pain now than I've had in ages :D hahaha!

I had 3 vials of blood taken for tests today, and I'm feeling very tired. Today is usually an add on day for biceps, triceps, and chest, but I've decided to give it a miss - I'm just too tired, and I wouldn't want to spring a leak from the needle hole in my arm! :D

I've been very tired pretty much all the time for a while now actually - In fact, I fell asleep whilst getting my hair cut the other day! It was very embarrasing. The doctor with whome I spoke seems to think I may be anemic from internal blood loss... Which is fun :D At least it would explain why I'm so tired all the time. And with the 3 lots of blood taken today, explain why I'm feeling extra tired at the moment.

Got some cardio in though, and I'm eating clean. Gonna try light deadlifts for the first time in a while tomorrow!

sumisan
08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Hope you figure out why your amemic if you are! I am anemic and it can definitly make you tired! It's hard to deal with since when you already feel like crap you dont see anything wrong with feeling like crap some more LOL When my iron levels are regular I can do so much more each day!

Dan K
08-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Hope you figure out why your amemic if you are! I am anemic and it can definitly make you tired! It's hard to deal with since when you already feel like crap you dont see anything wrong with feeling like crap some more LOL When my iron levels are regular I can do so much more each day!

Thanks! Fingers crossed everything will be ok... Not entirely sure why, but bananas seem to give me a temporary pick up?! :D

Almost at the 4 week mark, and doing well! I had a big back workout this morning - Lasted too long though. Well over an hour...

I got through deadlifts, good mornings, barbell rows, bench rows, pull overs, and shrugs. The deadlifts were very light, more of a warmup than anything, and my knees did quite hurt :D But I got through it!

The most intense workout I've had in months!

Dan K
08-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Ok, well it's a little over a month now, and I've made some progress - Not as much as I would have hoped for, but some is better than none I guess. The scale has hardly moved - I'm still at the 226lbs mark. I am on creatine, and I have made some lean gains though.

I think I've lost a few lb's of fat, some from around my face area, and around an inch or so from my waist... Doesn't really show much from the pictures:

Before:
http://img127.imagevenue.com/loc634/th_39365_front_122_634lo.jpg (http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=39365_front_122_634lo.jpg)

After:
http://img141.imagevenue.com/loc83/th_50052_04082007027_122_83lo.jpg (http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50052_04082007027_122_83lo.jpg)http://img171.imagevenue.com/loc85/th_50057_04082007029_122_85lo.jpg (http://img171.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50057_04082007029_122_85lo.jpg)http://img169.imagevenue.com/loc501/th_50058_04082007030_122_501lo.jpg (http://img169.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50058_04082007030_122_501lo.jpg)http ://img162.imagevenue.com/loc1149/th_50060_04082007022_122_1149lo.jpg (http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50060_04082007022_122_1149lo.jpg)htt p://img140.imagevenue.com/loc21/th_50572_04082007025_122_21lo.jpg (http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50572_04082007025_122_21lo.jpg)

I don't think I've done that great for over a month, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that.

I guess the next port of call is to step up the cardio...

cawiau
08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Ok, well it's a little over a month now, and I've made some progress - Not as much as I would have hoped for, but some is better than none I guess. The scale has hardly moved - I'm still at the 226lbs mark. I am on creatine, and I have made some lean gains though.

I think I've lost a few lb's of fat, some from around my face area, and around an inch or so from my waist... Doesn't really show much from the pictures:

Before:

After:
http://img141.imagevenue.com/loc83/th_50052_04082007027_122_83lo.jpg (http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50052_04082007027_122_83lo.jpg)http://img171.imagevenue.com/loc85/th_50057_04082007029_122_85lo.jpg (http://img171.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50057_04082007029_122_85lo.jpg)http://img169.imagevenue.com/loc501/th_50058_04082007030_122_501lo.jpg (http://img169.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50058_04082007030_122_501lo.jpg)http ://img162.imagevenue.com/loc1149/th_50060_04082007022_122_1149lo.jpg (http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50060_04082007022_122_1149lo.jpg)htt p://img140.imagevenue.com/loc21/th_50572_04082007025_122_21lo.jpg (http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=50572_04082007025_122_21lo.jpg)

I don't think I've done that great for over a month, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that.

I guess the next port of call is to step up the cardio...

Hey bro...this is a patience game!
You got to take what you got!
Now that you see how well/bad you've done for the month, go back and see where you can improve....There is always room for improvements.

So keep at it and good to know you are still in this thing!!!

Dan K
08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
So keep at it and good to know you are still in this thing!!!
Thanks buddy!!!! :D

Tonight, for my 8 sets of dumbell curls (4 normal, 4 concentration) the weight I use has doubled from what I started with a few months back - up to 35.2lbs now. Not fantastic, but at least I'm improving!

Hotmoltenlava
08-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Definite improvement, but don't stop there! Now you see what you can do in a month's time. Crazy improvement happens in 6 months.

Have a good one.

cawiau
08-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Not fantastic, but at least I'm improving!

And that is all that matters...improvements!!!
Keep at it...slowly but surely
I got your back :D

Dan K
09-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Ok. A month on and I've made some progress. When I first started out, I initially went up a few pounds to around 233.8. I took the following pictures, and weighed myself a couple of days back, and at that point was weighing in at 222.6. So all in all, I've dropped the region of 11.2lbs - Which I'm ok with.

The situation at home has been quite stressful to say the least for the last 2 weeks, so my exercise & diet have been less than perfect... I've mostly kept on top of it though.

I tried to bump up my cardio by spending 30% longer on the exercise bike, but for some reason that seems to give my knees a pounding! Maybe its the angle my knees are at? So I'm going to stick to my original time and then do some jogging/light running.

Diet wise, I'm goint to restrict my cheat day a little. I recently re-discovered guinness, and although less damaging than other drinks by far, it's less than ideal - I'm going to try hard to keep a cap on that. Mate tea helps reduce any cravings, but it tastes so bitter!!!

Fat loss wise, I've lost some of my gut, and a little around the face, but not enough - Still loads around my face, lower back and chest! I've done ok, but there's no time for complacency now - I'm setting myself a goal - Sub 14% bodyfat by December 7th (3 months today, and my 25th Birthday)

I need to buy some calipers, pretty much now!

Would anyone like to take a stab at my bf%?

http://img188.imagevenue.com/loc522/th_74163_front1_122_522lo.jpg (http://img188.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=74163_front1_122_522lo.jpg)http://img151.imagevenue.com/loc1044/th_74169_front_122_1044lo.jpg (http://img151.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=74169_front_122_1044lo.jpg)http://img128.imagevenue.com/loc246/th_74175_side_122_246lo.jpg (http://img128.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=74175_side_122_246lo.jpg)http://img181.imagevenue.com/loc197/th_74247_back_122_197lo.jpg (http://img181.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=74247_back_122_197lo.jpg)

goldingpie
09-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Don't worry man We've got your back.

CTUmp
09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Good luck bro, you can do it, we're all here to help.

*subscribed*

chrischap01
09-08-2007, 08:49 AM
keep it up, man! good job.

Dan K
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I decided (poorly) to round off my week & a half of intermittent sin with a chinese & a couple of glasses of guinness...

I feel like absolute crap!!! My head hurts, I feel sick, and sweaty... Just, YUK!!!

My body cant be put through this crap any more! If I feel this bad now, no doubt I'll feel worse in the morning. I think this is a kick in the ass I need to get back on track. It's amazing how easily stress can put you off your game.

Anyway, feel absolutely horrible. The next time I fancy doing this, all I'll have to do is read back over this post. Problem solved.

I expected to be mentally dissapointed, but I cant believe how physically unwell I feel.

A lesson learned, and a punishment well earned!

Dan K
10-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Well, I'm not dead. Just havn't visited here in ages. Things aren't going as well as I'd like, but they could be a lot worse :D

I got a promotion at work, which means more hours, and I'm in the final stages of moving house. And I havn't had easy access to my equipment for well over a month and a half.

THe results? Some fat put on, and quite a bit of muscle loss. I've really neglected the protein:(

I'm currently weighing in around 217lbs and approx 17% bf. So since starting out, I've lost around 5%... Which I suppose is a bit, well, meh! Considering the muscle loss... Hmmmm....

Anyway, I should be in my new place pretty soon, with easy access to all my equipment. Got a new bench too, and I'll have some guys to spot me, so I an start pushing myself more now!

Another thing to spur me on being an *incredibly* hot Polish girl who I met through work, has asked me out for a beer (or in my case, a diet coke, as beer is now back on the back burner until xmas). In regards to seeing results again, am I likely to notice slower development due to my back pedaling?

-Dan

zwdog1122
12-25-2012, 10:21 AM
bump