PDA

View Full Version : TVP (Textured Vegetable Protien)

Maddyg
10-11-2004, 05:08 AM
I've been a vegetarian for about 8 years, pretty well a vegan now... In those years, I've discovered a little great something called TVP, which has 0carbs, 0fat, and about 14g of protien per serving. I'd say, check it out at your local health food store, or the organics section of your supermarket.

The great thing about TVP, is that you can make it taste like whatever you want it to! Just marinate it in a bit of flavoring and boiling water, and 5-10 minutes later, you've got some great meaty-subsitute without all that fat and carbs, just heaps of protien.

I'd give you a great reliable source online to check it out, but I don't know of any off hand... This is just from my experience!

Anyway, hope it's helpful!

Ivey_Itch
10-11-2004, 05:27 AM
Hi! I saw some of this at my health store, but it looked like bread crumbs, and I had no idea how to use it!! Do you have any more recipes?? You just boil it?? Does the stuff your talking about look kinda like crumbled up corn flakes? Thanks!

Maddyg
10-11-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi! I saw some of this at my health store, but it looked like bread crumbs, and I had no idea how to use it!! Do you have any more recipes?? You just boil it?? Does the stuff your talking about look kinda like crumbled up corn flakes? Thanks!

Hey!
Yes, there's some of it that looks very crumbled up.. That stuff is ok, too! You can get thicker flakes, as well.. You can add it to anything you want.. Rice, soups, stews--It has NO flavor, so you have to put that in with however you choose to cook it. I wouldn't say boil it, because there wouldn't be any taste. Pour some boiling water over it with a bit of flavoring of your choice, and cover it for 5-10 minutes.
Make sure you get the fatfree variation, as there are some out there with fat in them. Just read lables. =) Go for it!

For recipes, you can search anything on TVP recipes online and come up with sh*t loads. I just make it taste like whatever I want it to (curried, cumin, hot sauce, whatever!) and add it to my dishes.

Anywho, hope it helps. =) It's great stuff!

Ivey_Itch
10-11-2004, 05:52 AM
Thanks Mucho! I'll have to try it out! I'm always up for new products!! (well..not new, but new to me :)

Beklet
10-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Some of the flavoured tofu is good too - my local shop dies smoked tofu with almond and sesame (a bit of fat in that!), chilli and tomato, and herb flavour. They're all yummy!
I'm also a big fan of Quorn, which is mycoprotein - based on a fungus. It doesn't taste of much, but I like to buy the mince and mix it with lean beef mince. It takes on the flavour of the beef, but lessens the overall fat content. I go for two thirds Quorn to a third of beef. It would work with pork or lamb, too.

As for other stuff, I find spelt pasta is good, as the spelt grain has more protein than the usual wheat grain, and is good for people who have a wheat intolerance. Because the protein is throughout the grain, the white version is almost nutritionally the same as the brown.

Alinasmommy
10-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Quorn. My favorite is the tenders. I make a great "mock" cobb salad--lettuce, quorn tenders, veggie "bacon", avocado, tomatoes, onion, hard boiled egg whites, blue cheese and a homemade balsamic dressing

jpeg
10-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Quorn is soooo yummy! Unfortunately I have only found the fake chicken stuff breaded - do they make a version that is just like a chicken breast or strips? My co-op is really good about having variety so if I asked I bet I could special order if they make it. I love their stuff, it is so great :)

Alinasmommy
10-28-2004, 11:19 AM
The Quorn naked cutlets and tenders are not breaded. The tenders are like little pieces of chicken--great for stir fry, salads, chili, etc...

jpeg
10-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Awesome, I will have to see if I can pick some up. The only ones I've had were breaded and they were delicious :) so I bet these would be pretty good as well.

Alinasmommy
10-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah, they also have "crumbles" which is like ground chicken/turkey. I only had that once and didn't really like it. I preffer the Boca ground "beef" stuff. The crumbles aren't breaded though.