PDA

View Full Version : lift heavy or just good form?

Natbornthrilla
10-10-2004, 05:27 AM
Just out of curiosity do you all lift heavy for size or could this be accomplished by just using good form and different "tricks" such as negatives, pyramiding, drop sets? I have a bad rotator cuff and find it hard to go real heavy so I do different things such as lower the weight (10seconds and power up) and things like that. I was just wondering because Troy Alves trains like that but other bodybuilders similar in size say to go heavy and thats it. What works for you all?

imperfectly_lou
10-10-2004, 05:42 AM
I believe it is good to use a combination of techniques.

Obviously, the most important thing is to only go as heavy as your form allows. Once you start losing form, you should drop the weight back or risk injury.

Things like negatives, drop-sets etc are good SHOCKING techniques, but I don't believe they should be relied upon all the time.

I have an old knee injury which prevents me from going too heavy on things like leg extensions, so I just stay light or find alternatives.

Aurora
10-10-2004, 06:20 AM
I agree with lou, everything has its time and place. And different body parts will respond to different approahes aswell, you just have to find what works for you.

For example my back responds very well to heavy weight. I dont worry about form so much on those days at all. Sometimes I swing, but it works. Whereas my shoulders I discovered respond the best to very light, ego-crushing weight with proper and strict form.

trnurbdy48
10-11-2004, 03:14 AM
Adaptation is the key word. As the body adapts to what is imposed (SAID concept) gains begin to slow. If the demands are constantly changing, gains are seen. Changing reps, sets, weight, exercises, intensity, tempo, keep adaptations from occurring. Clarks's Law states that "The body willl take the path of least resistance". In these words is the key to growth.