PDA

View Full Version : Cardio after lifting weights

VinceM
10-09-2004, 08:59 PM
I just started doing some cardio again after months of focusing only on weight-lifting. I know it's not ideal, but I have to do it right after lifting weights. (I just don't have the time to go to the gym more than 4 times a week.)

My question concerns nutrition before and during my workout: will having a meal a half-hour or so before working-out be enough to prevent my body from entering a catabolic state due to the cardio session? (I usually lift weights for about 40-45 minutes, and will be doing about 15-20 minutes of cardio immediately afterward.) Or, should I also begin to replenish my muscles during my weight-lifting session? Would mixing up some gatorade powder and whey protein do the trick? Or should I just go with whey and wait until after cardio to drink the gatorade? I'm not sure whether any insulin spike (assuming the gatorade powder would cause one at that point) is desirable or not during, as opposed to after, a workout. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Melkor
10-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Just do your standard pwo shake after your cardio. I would eat a good whole food meal one hour before workout or take a shake 1/2 hour before you workout. Either way just make sure you keep your workouts to an hour or so then take your simple carb/whey shake and you'll be fine.

xenithon
10-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi There,

When I need to do cardio after weights I do not like doing long, low intensity cardio. I also do not want to have the PWO shake and then do cardio - makes me feel ill. What I do is try do HIIT if cardio comes after weights. The heart rate is already up so you can virtually get right into in. I do it for 10 minutes or so and it seems to be working great. Straight after the HIIT cardio I slam down the PWO shake.

X

Sixpack
10-10-2004, 03:24 AM
Like Melkor said I would opt for a regular meal one hour before you lift then have your shake after cardio

Melkor
10-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Like Melkor said I would opt for a regular meal one hour before you lift then have your shake after cardio

Yay!

lol

RipStone
10-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi There,

When I need to do cardio after weights I do not like doing long, low intensity cardio. I also do not want to have the PWO shake and then do cardio - makes me feel ill. What I do is try do HIIT if cardio comes after weights. The heart rate is already up so you can virtually get right into in. I do it for 10 minutes or so and it seems to be working great. Straight after the HIIT cardio I slam down the PWO shake.

X

I do the same thing. Seems to work.

VinceM
10-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Even with cardio my workouts shouldn't last more than an hour, so no problem there. I might try the HIIT, but I'd need to read-up on it first. For now I just want to build up to 15 minutes or so of cardio without feeling like I'm being tortured.