PDA

View Full Version : Support, Advise, Etc.

sweatpea81
10-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Ok, I've never posted to a forum before, only ready them. I want real advice from real woman, who have to maintain a normal life along w/their workouts.

Let me start w/some history before I get to my question. About 7 years ago I began compulsivley overexercising and undereating. On a good day I would get abou 600 cal, but generally stayed between 200 and 300 while maintaining a workout schedule that consisted of 5 days running 3 miles, lifting weights 4 -5 days and doing 1 hour of step aerobic class 3 times a week, 2 days running 12 miles and doing yoga. In the afternoon everyday (5 days) I would also powerwalk for an hour. I was very thin and of course looked awfu. I thought at the time that I was fat and all that, but my face was sunkedn, I had constant migraines and went to bed as soon as I got home after my evening workout. During the course of all this I also develped a problem w/bulimia.

Through some help, I began to eat normally again..about 1000 cal a day and put fat on like crazy. I gained about 40 lbs., while maintaining the same workout schedule.

I just took a week off for the first time and b/c of psychological reminants of my previous problems, it's been hard.

I currently workout w/weights 5-6 days perweek and do 30-45 minutes of cardio 5 - 6 days per week. I hit the weights hard and vary the intensity and type of my cardio. I eat around 1200 cal a day and have dropped about 15 lbs. from the 40 I gained. I'm 5 foot 8.5 inches and weigh in at 159/160. I obviously do not want to be as thin as I was, but would like to be around 15% BF and around 140-145 lbs. I just don't feel like I will be able to do it w/eating as much as I do and not working out as much as I did.

If anyone has suffered and recoved and gone through this, I could really use advise and encouragement? Please!!

Let me say, that I know the proper way to do things, for the most part, but don't feel like I can do it.

Thank you so much for your time in responding.

_-AGORR-_
12-30-2005, 09:29 PM
hey

M~Girl
12-30-2005, 10:39 PM
My only advice is to give it some time. You have to let your metabolsim wind up from the damage you have done.
Your weight isnt high now so be patient and keep bumping up your cals ,

ChocoChick
12-31-2005, 08:08 AM
If you are only eating 1200 calories per day, you are still undereating. You need to eat more even though initially you will gain weight. This is not because you'll be eating too many calories for your size and activity level but because you damaged your metabolism badly when you ate 300 and 400 calories per day and, yes, even when you ate 1000 calories per day. So your metabolism needs time to heal and the only way it can do that is by being fed what it needs.

Have you looked at the ED support forum here? Here is a link: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=70778

This thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=290201 gives solid information about what and when to eat, including a shopping list of foods to select from.

And this calculator http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ will help ou to get an idea of what you need to be eating (do both the first page AND the second page where you calculate your Daily Calorie Needs).

When increasing your calories, don't do it in one fell swoop but aim for ~250 calorie increase each week until you are where you should be.