PDA

View Full Version : Flaxseed Oil?

mjt12
10-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Where do you ladies get your flaxseed oil from? I've been reading that it goes bad very quickly if it isnt refridgerated. It doesnt taste bad, but then again I've never tasted it before. Another question, how much should I be taking a day. I'm 154 pounds and I'm trying to lose fat. Thanks :)

Stasha
10-08-2004, 12:37 PM
The best price I have found is on line. It won't let me type the web address so just IM me or e-mail me.

The brand is called: Health From The Sun Flax Lignan Gold Liquid - 24 Oz

mjt12
10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I found the website that you were talking about. VERY cheap. I will be ordering there when I'm done this bottle. I am taking 1 TBSP a day right now in addition to an ounce of almonds a day. Does that sound o.k.? Im very new to this so any advice is always appreciated. Thanks again!!

Stasha
10-08-2004, 12:58 PM
How many calories a day do you take in and how tall are you? Do you weight train and do cardio? What's the rest of your diet like?

mjt12
10-08-2004, 01:12 PM
I am 5'6, 154 pounds. Muscular build. I weight train heavy on a 3 day split and do 4 days of HIIT cardio for 20 minutes. I eat about 1700-1900 calories a day of clean foods. Today I've eaten

Breakfast
Protein pancakes (1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2 egg whites)
1 TBSP of sugar free jelly
1/2 TBSP Flax oil

Snack
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup oats

Lunch
4 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 sweet potato
swiss chard
1/2 TBSP Flax oil

Pre Workout Snack
1/2 cup cottage cheese
other half of sweet potato

Workout (chest,shoulders,triceps)

Post Workout Shake- 2 scoops ON Whey and a medium orange

Dinner
4 oz. chicken
large salad

Snack
1/2 cup cottage cheese

someday
10-08-2004, 01:15 PM
i take it in capsule in form. i can't stomach it any other way.

as for how much, i take one in the am and one in the pm. don't laugh but i do it because my trainer told me too. that's all i know.

mjt12
10-08-2004, 01:17 PM
LOL!! Doesnt it taste like paint smells??

hb52879
10-08-2004, 02:12 PM
The best tasting flax that I have found is the Whole Foods brand. It seriously actually tastes good. I've even got my roommate putting it in her cereal and she dosen't even concern herself with all this stuff.

You really need to keep it cold though. Oh, does anyone know how to get Flax out of clothes? Its a pain in my butt, I have ruined so many items. Latley.

Anyway, I try and use it as my only fat source other than from lean meats. I love it. Some people hate it, but my digestion was awful before I started taking it. I seriously swear by it.

Sunshineslynn
10-08-2004, 02:19 PM
I also take it in capsule. My husband almost peed himself the first time he saw me take the liquid. I gagged for 10 mins. lol

Stasha
10-08-2004, 02:37 PM
I think your diet looks good, but if your wanting to loose fat, my suggestion would be to keep your calories more towards 1600-1700 a day with a 33/33/33 split. If your wanting to put on a little muscle than maybe try 40/40/20.

Pumkin
10-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Not only does the oil go bad quickly if not refrigerated but you also need to make sure it is in a dark bottle because it reacts to light. And don't cook with it! I've heard people use it in their cooking but heat actually diminishes almost all good aspects of it.

I use flax seeds in salads and on eggs. I use a tablespoon of the oil in 100 mL of orange juice morning and night. We also often grind the seeds and use them as spices.

Capsules are better than nothing but with most brands, you need to take 8-10 in order to equal a tablespoon of the oil. You're wasting your money on that.

It is very expensive to buy the oil and you go through it quite quickly but the benefits of it are well worth anything else you may put in your body.

someday
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Capsules are better than nothing but with most brands, you need to take 8-10 in order to equal a tablespoon of the oil. You're wasting your money on that.

just wondering why you say this? i get 2000 mg of flaxseed oil in 2 tabs. does it make a difference that i also take 5 fish oil tabs in the am and pm?

imperfectly_lou
10-09-2004, 01:09 AM
just wondering why you say this? i get 2000 mg of flaxseed oil in 2 tabs. does it make a difference that i also take 5 fish oil tabs in the am and pm?

Yeah but 2000mg of oil is only 2g which isn't very much. Thats only about 18cals of good fats!

Pumkin
10-09-2004, 11:24 AM
1 tablespoon of the oil varies between 14g and 20g depending on the brand. Compared to capsules, it is much more efficient to do it this way. I don't know enough about your fish oil tabs to compare the total amount that you intake vs a tablespoon of flaxseed oil only. I know it is less of a bother to take in 1-2 even 3 tablespoons of oil in the am and forget about it for the rest of the day then to remember to take so many capsules or tablets.

But hey, if in the end, it's all the same, you do what you prefer! ;-)

Stasha
10-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Here is a good article on fats.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anthony5.htm

imperfectly_lou
10-10-2004, 02:16 AM
1 tablespoon of the oil varies between 14g and 20g depending on the brand. Compared to capsules, it is much more efficient to do it this way. I don't know enough about your fish oil tabs to compare the total amount that you intake vs a tablespoon of flaxseed oil only. I know it is less of a bother to take in 1-2 even 3 tablespoons of oil in the am and forget about it for the rest of the day then to remember to take so many capsules or tablets.

But hey, if in the end, it's all the same, you do what you prefer! ;-)

Fish oil generally has 1000mg per tablet. I take 3 a day (the recommended maximum), so that is only 3g of fat....

someday
10-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Here is a good article on fats.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anthony5.htm

very informative article........thanks for pointing it out.