PDA

View Full Version : Neilyo's "Lose 10 lbs for Hawaii Trip" Diet Blog.

Neilyo350zSoCal
06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey Guys/Ladies. I'm starting this blog because I am lacking motivation and studies show that blogging your thoughts and daily progression (as well as other's opinons) helps motivate you to lose weight. I used to be 225 and dropped down to 165 about two years ago. It seems that I don't have the will-power for that. Probably because I think I look "above par" compared to the majoriy of the population (then again, the majority of the population is overweight)

Goal: I am going to Hawaii on August 13 which leaves me about a month and 13 days to lose about 10 lbs. The main places where I want to lose it is in my face (chin/cheeks region) as well as the ever so popular stomach. So I Know I will have to do a lot of cardio. Of course I will be doing weight training and I have been for the past year just to maintain strength. I hope to get some insite from others and hopefully this blog does work out.

Current measurment: 5'9" 171 lb. 18% body fat. 33 waist.

Question: How many calories should I consume if I'm on my feet most of the day? I work out every other day with occasional cardio if i have time.

skuZZitude
06-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys/Ladies. I'm starting this blog because I am lacking motivation and studies show that blogging your thoughts and daily progression (as well as other's opinons) helps motivate you to lose weight. I used to be 225 and dropped down to 165 about two years ago. It seems that I don't have the will-power for that. Probably because I think I look "above par" compared to the majoriy of the population (then again, the majority of the population is overweight)

Goal: I am going to Hawaii on August 13 which leaves me about a month and 13 days to lose about 10 lbs. The main places where I want to lose it is in my face (chin/cheeks region) as well as the ever so popular stomach. So I Know I will have to do a lot of cardio. Of course I will be doing weight training and I have been for the past year just to maintain strength. I hope to get some insite from others and hopefully this blog does work out.

Current measurment: 5'9" 171 lb. 18% body fat. 33 waist.

Question: How many calories should I consume if I'm on my feet most of the day? I work out every other day with occasional cardio if i have time.

That is a great goal and best of luck.

If you want to lose 10lbs in August 13th, that is around 1.5lbs a week.

To maintain your current weight with your active job/ifestyle and your cardio/weight workouts three times a week you would be looking at consuming roughly 2600 calories. This is assuming what you said is true and you're on your feet most of the day.

So, to drop 1.5lbs a week you will need to drop your calorie deficit of 5250 a week. So I would say about 1800 calories a day spread out over 6 meals would be awesome for your goals. What is your diet like now and your workout routines?

Neilyo350zSoCal
06-29-2007, 01:33 PM
So, to drop 1.5lbs a week you will need to drop your calorie deficit of 5250 a week. So I would say about 1800 calories a day spread out over 6 meals would be awesome for your goals. What is your diet like now and your workout routines?

My workout routines tend to vary but is basically as follows:
Monday: triceps and chest (3 sets of 6 for each exercise), 10-20 min cardio
Tuesday: hour of yoga.(its offered at my job, so i just do it), abs
Wednesday: Biceps and upper and lower back, 10-20 min cardio
Thursday:same as monday
Friday or Saturday: Cardio for 30 minutes

Its not too much, but it helps. Should I do more cardio?

As for my meals, I try to eat 6 meals but thats hard with a job like mine. I'm able to eat at 7am 10am and 1pm, but only able to eat one meal at night. I eat pretty healthy (except when our company buys us lunch once a week), so i say I usually eat less than 2200 a day. Grams of protein a day? Don't know, but I'm shooting for about 200 grams. Thats hard. Well, let me give you an example of my day:

7 am Two packets of oat meal OR cereal with soymilk OR turkey sandwich.
10 am cheese stick
1 am Subway turkey on wheat 6 inch, baked chips, and ice tea.
4pm If i do snack, i snack bad. whatever is at the office.
8pm It varies depending if i'm hungry or not. If i do eat out, its usually with grilled chicken breast.

I usually just drink water, green tea, or diet coke. I know I need more protein in my diet, but the protein powder i have gives me gas. Let me know if there is any advice or if there's any supplements i can take to help metabolism and give me more energy because I tend to feel fatigue at the gym.

Neilyo350zSoCal
06-29-2007, 01:38 PM
I had Chopstix chineese food today for lunch. One plate, but I know its about 1000-1200 calories. I shouldn't have. Now I realize, that it wasn't worth it. Here's what i ate so far today:

Breakfast:
Turkey Sandwich on wheat with lite mayo 300 kcal
Frozen Grapes (They are delicious): 70 kcal
Cheesestick: 120 kcal

Lunch:
Chopstix (salad, kung pao chicken, rice, chowmein) around 1000 kcal
golden spoon ice cream: 150 kcal

Thats almost 1800 kcals already. Good thing I have this journal, otherwise I wouldn't have realized how much I've eaten already. I think I'm going to stick with two protein shakes the rest of the day.

skuZZitude
06-29-2007, 01:58 PM
My workout routines tend to vary but is basically as follows:
Monday: triceps and chest (3 sets of 6 for each exercise), 10-20 min cardio
Tuesday: hour of yoga.(its offered at my job, so i just do it), abs
Wednesday: Biceps and upper and lower back, 10-20 min cardio
Thursday:same as monday
Friday or Saturday: Cardio for 30 minutes

Its not too much, but it helps. Should I do more cardio?

As for my meals, I try to eat 6 meals but thats hard with a job like mine. I'm able to eat at 7am 10am and 1pm, but only able to eat one meal at night. I eat pretty healthy (except when our company buys us lunch once a week), so i say I usually eat less than 2200 a day. Grams of protein a day? Don't know, but I'm shooting for about 200 grams. Thats hard. Well, let me give you an example of my day:

7 am Two packets of oat meal OR cereal with soymilk OR turkey sandwich.
10 am cheese stick
1 am Subway turkey on wheat 6 inch, baked chips, and ice tea.
4pm If i do snack, i snack bad. whatever is at the office.
8pm It varies depending if i'm hungry or not. If i do eat out, its usually with grilled chicken breast.

I usually just drink water, green tea, or diet coke. I know I need more protein in my diet, but the protein powder i have gives me gas. Let me know if there is any advice or if there's any supplements i can take to help metabolism and give me more energy because I tend to feel fatigue at the gym.

Some other people will chime in here I am sure.

I think 5 meals a day would be fine. Don't snack on stuff at the office at 4pm though, that is horrible. Just get a shaker/mixer cup from a store or online, many places give them out for free and then start bringing protein shakes to work. Just put the powder in the cup, then add cooler water to it, shake for 20 secs, slam it down. If the protein powder you have now gives you gas then go and find another brand that doesnt maybe??? Otherwise..... get a meal replacement bar of some sort, or else a slimfast or something. Whatever works for you...... A lot of people around here, although they eat 6 meals a day, will have 3 of them be protein shakes.

By the way, I have tried 20+ different protein shakes in my day... and it took me a long time to find the best one.

BY FAR the best protein powder on the market is Dymatize Elite..... both "Mint Chocolate" and "Cafe Mocha" (if you like coffeee) are tops. Trust me, you cant go wrong!!!!!!

Neilyo350zSoCal
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
For some reason this weekend was bad for me. Not all and all. Did alot of physical activities, but I ate pretty bad. So I figure I'll start this week. July 2nd-August 3rd. I need to lose 10 lbs. So I guess my goal is 2 lbs a week. I already worked out sunday. Here's what I did:

Pre-Workout Snack:
Didn't have time to get one. (i know, i know. i should of had one)

Workout:
Chest and Triceps
bench press 165/10 175/10 175/6 sticking to 170 next time.
incline bench press 115/10 115/10 115/9 (stick to 115)
machine with rope triceps 35/10 35/8 35/7
d1 extensions 15/12 20/10 20/10
tricep pulldowns 10/10 10/10 10/10
bike at 70% MHR x 15 minutes.

Note: I was feeling lazy/tired. I guess I should of had that pre workout snack. I also felt lazy with the bike. I wanted to go for 30, but i guess it was too boring.

Today, I plan on working on my cardio and abs. Goal today: Run for 30 minutes, at least hitting 30 minutes.

Today's food intake:
Breakfast:
half a peanut butter sandich 240 kcal
half a chicken breast sandwich with cheese 250
cheese stick 80 kcal

I'll be editing this throughout the day.

I did some research for my basal metabolic rate and it is about 1800. for me to cut down I need 500 kcal less supposedly. I will follow this concept minusing the protein. I don't want to compromise my protein intake. Wait. No i'm confused.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't want to lose my muscle mass, but I need to trim at least 2lbs a week. any advice would help.

EvoSummer
07-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Good luck. Just be sure to keep your calories in check. It is 80 percent diet as they say.

Neilyo350zSoCal
07-03-2007, 10:36 AM
So afterwork I went to go workout at my work's gym. here's what i did:

Pull Ups- 8/8/7
Seated Rows- Level 11(didn't know the weight) 10/10/10
Lat Pull Downs- Level 11 10/10/10
Bicep Curls 40/7 35/8 30/10

Was feeling fatigue so I went home to eat some oatmeal. Went to bally's and:

bike 15' (at 75% MHR)
treadmill (5k competitor) 15' incline varying 0-2.5 at 6.5

I felt good until I came home and my parents had beef brisket. I talked myself into eating it with the excuse that beef brisket is protein, but i knew it wasn't.

Note: Overall, a semi decent workout although I know I could of did more. My eating intake was fine until i came home to eat the brisket at 10 at night.
I need to change my late night cravings.

rmedina8804
07-03-2007, 10:51 AM
10 pounds by 8/13, you can definitely reach that goal.. up the cardio and kill the late night cravings! if you find that you need a snack just drink a full glass of water and sit on it.. that hunger should go away... it works for me!

Neilyo350zSoCal
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
10 pounds by 8/13, you can definitely reach that goal.. up the cardio and kill the late night cravings! if you find that you need a snack just drink a full glass of water and sit on it.. that hunger should go away... it works for me!

Thanks alot bro. I got a question for you..are you filipino?

Neilyo350zSoCal
07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
So I went to the doctor just so i can get a referral to see the dermatologist (yeah, i have acne still and I'm 24)... hopefully it works... sorry about side tracking...

Breakfast:
-Sandwich (2 wheat breads, turkey breast, light mayo,cucumber) 320 kcal
-Frozen Grapes (Trust me, they're bomb especially if its hot. taste like a healthy popscicle. 70 kcal

Mini Workout: Traps, Shoulder
Incline Dumbell Press 50/10 50/10 50/10
Shhoulder Shrugs 70/12 70/12 70/10
Front Delt Raises 25/10 25/10 25/10
Lat Delt Raises 25/8 25/8 25/8

Lunch:
-Large Wendy's Chili (1/2 before workout, 1/2 after)
A friend told me that wendy's chili is actually pretty healthy except for the sodium content.

Here's the Nutrition facts on a Large Wendy's Chili:
Calories 330 Calories from fat 81
Total fat: 9 g Saturate Fat 3.5
Total Carbs: 35g Dietary Fiber 8.0g
Protein 25.0

Snack:
2 Protein Shakes: 500 kcals (100 grams of protein)

Dinner:
Chicken Ultimate Grill- 33 g protein 370 kcal
Small Chili- 16.7 g 220 kcal

Total Kcal=1480 kcal
Protein 174 grams.
not bad. I need to up my protein a little more.

rmedina8804
07-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Thanks alot bro. I got a question for you..are you filipino?

no prob... yea im filipino!

Neilyo350zSoCal
07-04-2007, 07:56 AM
no prob... yea im filipino!

Nice. I feel more at home. the next question would be (in a filipino accent) "where are you Farents Prom in the Pilippines?" Lol. j/k.

Neilyo350zSoCal
07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Today I feel a little more opptomistic about my diet. I've done well so far.

Morning:
Half PB sandiwch 250 kcal
2 eggs, 3 extra whites. ?? kcal (25 g protein)

Snack:
Protein Shake (50g prot, 250kcal)

Lunch:
Turkey Sandiwch (2 ww bread, 6 slices turkey, light mayo) 420 kcal 26g prot

Snack:
Protein Shake (50 g prot, 250 kcal)

Dinner: (to be continued)