PDA

View Full Version : Lurking Coming Forward with Questions and Requesting Critiques

MotoGirl
10-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Hello! I'm a 31 year old female who has been lifting off and on (mostly on) for about 6 years or so. Unfortunately, I have not made nearly the progress I would have liked, but I'm finding out through counseling that part of the problem is mental. I'm currently being evaluated for bipolar and/or cyclothymia. I should know more soon and hope to being treatment as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I have some questions about my current diet, supplements and so on. Please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate board if you feel it would be better addressed elsewhere.

That said.... here we go!

My stats-
Height: 5' 1"
Weight: 172# (Thankfully, body shape is on my side since I do not look as heavy as I am. My own trainer didn't believe my weight when we initially met back when I was even heavier. But,I know I'm fat. )
Measurements as of 5/19/04 as done by trainer-(have since moved away and intend to have my husband measure me this weekend)
Then weight: 183.5#
Arm: 13 3/4"
Chest: 39 3/4"
Waist: 33 3/4"
Hips: 47 1/4"
Thigh: 28 1/4"

My goal: Lose body fat (duh!) and I would like to get my weight down to 140# while still adding and maintaining muscle mass. Lower would be nice, but I'm realistic.

It has taken me two years, but I'm down from 210#, my all-time high, so for this I am pleased.

I moved cross-country this summer to a small town in a remote place. The stress of moving and not working out and not eating properly took its toll on my body and mind, but I've managed to go from 191# on July 12th to today's weight of 172#.

With the help of my previous trainer as well as research on this forum and other resources, I have made nutrition a priority, alongside weight training and cardio.

Below I will list in detail what I am currently doing. So far, this seems to be working very well for me, but I am always trying to achieve optimal results so I'm open to suggestions. Please feel free to critique. :)

My current schedule has me doing wt 3 days, cardio 4 days (20 min HIIT on wt days (treadmill-run/walk/run/walk, etc.), 45 min elliptical or spinning bike on days I don't wt (moderate heart rate). In the 7 week cycle, I only have 5 "off" days from training. Otherwise, I'm doing either wt, cardio or both. Once the 7 weeks are complete, I take a week off and do cardio only, and then start the process over again. This training cycle is what my former trainer did with great success.

Weeks 1-3 Workout A
Low Intensity 3 sets @ 15/12/12 reps, 60% of 1 rep max

Weeks 4-6 Workout B
Moderate Intensity 3 sets @ 10/8/6 reps, 65%/70%/75% 1 rep max

Week 7 Workout C
High Intensity 1 giant set 25 reps, 55% of 1 rep max

WT is split: 1) Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
2) Lower Body
3) Back/Biceps/Forearms

Schedules:

Cardio only or OFF days (any day I don't WT):

6:00a Wake Iced tea, 2 Hydroxycut (e-free)

6:45a Cardio - Elliptical 45 min and Abs

10:00a Meal 1- 1 c oats, 1/2c lactaid, 6 egg whites scrambled, 1 srv frozen fruit, **vits

1:00p Meal 2- 3oz tuna, 1srv broc****, 1 srv frozen fruit

4:00p Meal 3- Carb Rite bar

6:00p Meal 4- 2 sc Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein, 10g Opt. Nut Glutamine

7:00p 3oz chicken, 1srv green beans, 1 med apple

*Cals - approx 1300/ 47% Protein/ 40% Carbs/ 13% Fat

Weight Training Days (any day I lift):

6:00a Wake Iced tea, 2 Hydroxycut

6:45a Meal 1-1c oats, 1/2c lactaid, 6 egg whites scrambled, 1srv frozen fruit, **vits

7:30a WT followed by 20min HIIT (when applicable)

1:00p 4oz tuna, 1srv broc****, 1srv frozen fruit

4:00p Carb Rite bar

6:00p 2sc protein, 10g glutamine, 1srv frozen fruit

7:00p 3oz halibut, 1srv green beans, 1srv lima beans, 1 med apple

*Cals - approx 1470/ 46% Protein/ 43% Carbs/ 11% Fat

*will vary depending on protein and veggies consumed

Additional notes:

I know that many are not in favor of fat burners. Since I do not sleep well at night, I find that the Hydroxycut and cup of iced tea gives me that extra boost of energy I need.

Also note that the protein varies between Chicken, tuna and halibut (plentiful where I live). Because produce is expensive and not always consistent in availability, I vary between frozen strawberries, blackberries and peaches for my fruit and the evening apple. For veggies, I have either frozen broc****, green beans or lima beans.

Some have told me I need to increase my calories. I have tried that without much success. I am willing to lose some muscle mass if I have to in order to lose the pounds. While I realize that that statement doesn't really support this statement, "My goal: Lose body fat (duh!) and I would like to get my weight down to 140# while still adding and maintaining muscle mass. Lower would be nice, but I'm realistic.", it's imperative I get some of this weight off. Once I've done that, then I can add more muscle.

**I am currently taking a multi-vitamin, Calcium +D and B complex. I take these with Meal 1.

I will be adding fish oil capsules, chromium, and ZMA (hopefully to aid in sleeping as well as strength gains).

My question about vitamin supplements, what would be the best, most effective way for me to incorporate these into my diet? I know that the ZMA should be consumed about 30 mins before my last meal, but what about the rest? I don't want to take them all at once, only to have my system filter them out all at once. Am I making sense? I feel like I've been typing for days!!

I hope I've covered everything so that you can get an accurate idea of what the heck I'm doing!

Thanks in advance for your critiques! :)

Ivey_Itch
10-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi,
I'm by far no expert, but I agree that you should up your calories. I stayed on 1200 calories for about 5 months, and finally after many people telling me to up the calories I did. I'm up to about 1550 now (still working on increasing them some) and I've had better results. You work out better with more calories and your body doesn't want to "hold on" to the fat as much because it's not worried about being in starvation mode. You also seem to be doing A LOT of cardio. Cardio is good, but don't get too much too soon. That way you can increase it later when you plateu. The best thing you can do, IMO is eat clean. It will make all the difference in the world. I suggest finding a ratio, many recommend the 40/40/20 one. (40% calories from Protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from good fats) You should try that one for a while and see how it goes. I use www.fitday.com it's a great, free site. You should definately get the fats, they will make you feel fuller and they help burn fat as well. I'm sure you'll also find things to go alot easier once you get the right treatment. I know that has to be stressful for you right now. Good luck with everything!

MotoGirl
10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi,
I'm by far no expert, but I agree that you should up your calories. I stayed on 1200 calories for about 5 months, and finally after many people telling me to up the calories I did. I'm up to about 1550 now (still working on increasing them some) and I've had better results. You work out better with more calories and your body doesn't want to "hold on" to the fat as much because it's not worried about being in starvation mode. You also seem to be doing A LOT of cardio. Cardio is good, but don't get too much too soon. That way you can increase it later when you plateu. The best thing you can do, IMO is eat clean. It will make all the difference in the world. I suggest finding a ratio, many recommend the 40/40/20 one. (40% calories from Protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from good fats) You should try that one for a while and see how it goes. I use www.fitday.com it's a great, free site. You should definately get the fats, they will make you feel fuller and they help burn fat as well. I'm sure you'll also find things to go alot easier once you get the right treatment. I know that has to be stressful for you right now. Good luck with everything!

Hey there and thanks for the response.

Yeah, I go back and forth on the calories all the time. My trainer had me consuming more cals with ratios of 40/30/30 and then we tried 40/30/30 and even 50/30/20 and so. So far, the most progress I've made to losing pounds on the scale is my current one.

I do use Fitday religiously.

As far as cardio, I definitely used to do too much. Right now, however, I'm not sure I am. If cardio happens to fall on a weight training day, I do 20 minute HIIT. If it's a day of cardio only and no wt, then I do 45 mins at a relatively moderate level. I have a heart rate monitor so I can track that. I try to stay in the 70-75% max heart rate range.

Again, thanks for your response. I'm not trying to discount your advice, though it may sound like it. I'm open to suggestions and will evaluate each and every one.

:)

Ivey_Itch
10-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Well you sound like you have everything going good :) Keep up the good work!

MotoGirl
10-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Okay, so I added more cals to my weight training days. The breakdown is now:

~1670 Cals/ 47% Protein/ 42% Carbs/ 11% Fat

Any better?