PDA

View Full Version : amount of cardio

cad2
10-07-2004, 07:11 AM
For the past two years I have been doing cardio for 45 min 5 times a week, I participate in alot of marathons for walking and running. I also lift 3x a week and really enjoy it. I have always been slender and lean (except the thigh area). About two months ago I changed my routine around a bit and lowered my cardio to 20 to 30 min sessions, and increased the intenisty of my weights. I did increase my calorie intake by about 150. I now eat around 1700 to 1950. From all of my other posts you can see I eat very clean I did add a few more carbs in the way of brown rice, and added a protein shake as well. I am 5 foot 5" and was 118 pounds, 17% body fat but yesterday I had my body fat measured and I was up to 22% It hasn't changed in a year, and my weight was 124 can anyone tell me what I am doin wrong. Should I just go back to my old routine. I definately feel fat deposits in my upper thighs that weren't there before and around my middle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MsFit
10-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Lowering cardio and increasing the calories will put weight on you. You need to modify your program, but don't jump into 5 days of cardio for 45 minutes...build up to it.

komar
10-07-2004, 09:04 AM
almost the same problem I have...I workout few months and years to hard...too much cardio hard training...low calorie...now I know it's crazy..I can't do it..5x at week not eating...now I try add littel bit calorie..cut cadio and I gaining...I'm unhappy, but I must add calorie because I have healty problems I'm 5'6" 111-114lb. Almost year I haven't menstruation, I don't know what hve I doing.

trnurbdy48
10-11-2004, 04:49 AM
This is all about adaptation. Your body had adapted to what you've imposed over a period of time and now you're trying to create a new adaption and not seeing results. This is a combination of things. Increased calories, reduced cardio and increased anaerobic training. You're bound to see an increase in weight, body comp. I am not and never have been an advocate of 5 days a week, 45 minute cardio sessions for just the reasons you're stating. With aerobic (cardio) training the level of EPOC sustained is not enough to create anabolic changes. Once you lower the amount of time and intensity spent in this form of training the body will adapt quickly, equaling changing composition. Whereas with anaerobic training the Level of EPOC is sustained, creating optimum anabolic change. In other words, you're metabolism has taken a nose dive. It woule be very helpful if you could give us an idea of your current training program. How many days you work out, your routine (aerobic and anaerobic). Perhaps then, someone here can offer some suggestions.