PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Questions

MsFit
10-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Dumb questions you here as a female bodybuilder.

Do you workout?

How much do you lift?

Do you beat people up?

Wanna arm wrestle?

These are just a few that irritate me. Feel free to post those that irritate you.

karen
10-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Are you natural? Very dumb since it`s so obvious from the pics I already posted.

If I lift the twenty five pound dumbbells do you think I`ll bulk too much? That is retarded because those are light. I`m pumping the thirty five pound dumbbells and I`m small.

How about a dumb comment I hear almost every day I workout. I don`t wanna lift because it will turn me into a man. I`ll get too bulky.

What are they thinking? I`m guessing here:

I`m trying to get skinny. I want to look like Ally McBeal dressed in gym clothes ready to get a double cheeseburger airlifted emergency victuals to save me!!!

bluegirl
10-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Argh! I too wish for a nickel every time someone asks me whether I'm afraid I'll get "huge".

Other than that...the one that boggles my mind is "where do you find the time?" I admit to being anal-retentive and very organized, but c'mon...it's not that hard to find an hour a day to do something that you love! I honestly feel sort of bad for those people who can't seem to make that time (whether it's for working out or doing whatever it is they wish they could do).

kaylers
10-06-2004, 08:01 PM
-"Um...what made you interested in something like that?"
-"Bodybuilding....hmm.. have you ever tried aerobics or step classes?"
-"What does your bf and dad think?"
-"Its because you are a feminist right?"
-"You are training? Well, this one bit/piece of cake/greasy piece of food/chocolate etc won't do a thing" (meanwhile you have calculated your diet on fitday and can pretty much calculate every calorie/fat/protein thing that they are putting into their mouth)

Good post idea Ms. Fit!

MsFit
10-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Do you eat raw eggs?

How many crunches do I need to do to get a 6 pack?

Isn't bodybuilding unhealthy?

I want to look like you, but don't want to be a bodybuilder. :rolleyes:

Anima
10-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Loved this one flung at me with wonder in his eyes by the sweat mopper (another thread LOL):

I had said I wanted to do bodybuilding and get big. He said, "Oh! Not many LADIES want to do that!"

Well I am no lady I guess LOL but then was I ever? ;)

imperfectly_lou
10-07-2004, 12:45 AM
I get annoyed when people ask me why I am not that big if I bodybuild... like because I pick up a DB I am instantly going to turn into a hulking musclebound thing

trnurbdy48
10-07-2004, 04:41 AM
My favorite is, "Oh No! I don't want to build muscle, I just want to tone". I don't even bother with an explanation anymore, I just hand her the DB........

Hibiscus09
10-07-2004, 04:48 AM
"Do you teach aerobics?" (LOL -- that one hurts my pride!)

trnurbdy48
10-07-2004, 04:50 AM
"Do you teach aerobics?" (LOL -- that one hurts my pride!)

LOL............I so understand!

Ivey_Itch
10-07-2004, 05:16 AM
I hate when people ask me what i'm eating... EVERYTIME i got to take a bite someone walks up to me and says... WHAT are YOU eating? I'm like.. it's not rocket science here pal, it's a bowl of oatmeal... what a bunch of morons.. and then when they say.. I don't like that stuff.. and you say.. have you ever tried it? and there answer is NO. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THEN~ arrrggggg! Oh yeah..the other day in the gym some guy said you MUST me taking the weight lifting class...as in, i wouldn't be there if i did't have to be.. I quickly informed him that NO i was not taking the class, and I was doing this to benefit myself! Just weight til i can bench more than him.. i'm gonna SHOW OUT! :)

MsFit
10-07-2004, 06:36 AM
I didn't like it when the co-workes called my canisters of whey in my desk fertilizer. :(

karen
10-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Women do ask me "what do you do?" to get your arms and legs looking like that? When I tell them I lift med to heavy weights and eat clean all time they say well it works for you But if I did that it would make me too bulky. Yes, she is Lenda Murray incarnate exept she`s trying to get really skinny avoiding the inevidable humongous traps,lats,pecs and delts that sprout and take over like overgrown pumpkins just from engaging in physical activity. They can`t begin to fathom that having muscle mass AND cutting out junk and eating right will make them smaller and more "toned".

Before I burned down this last time a trainer commented I really needed to trim down and quit bulking so much....huh??? (check my pictures folks) After I burned down and my muscles were "still there" she had no comment. It was obvious my "fat and bulky" legs were full of guess what? Muscle ...and there it was OMG.

It`s like some people think Any visible muscle is "wrong". What are you going to do if you ever need to pull yourself up in a dangerous situation? I remember being on a boat and the edge being just reachable enough to get my hands on it. I pulled myself into the boat but my friend needed two guys and about 15 minutes of struggling to get her back in the boat. To me life is better if you are strong.

About the "fertilizer" comment: Say Yeah,that`s protein! I`m growing muscle. Then Spy that candy bar or other junkfood on their desk and say,"Oh I see Your fertilizer. You must be growing mass without the "m" included. Sorry..probably NOT something to say to the boss or someone you must work peacefully with!!!! gone to work out!

Sunshineslynn
10-07-2004, 09:39 AM
I get most "you had 2 kids and still look like that". Yes not every mother in america is overweight and out of shape. Some of us have 6 packs.

Hibiscus09
10-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Here's another one I got about a month ago from a lady as I was leaving the gym:

"If you look like that, why do you workout? I sure wouldn't!"

:D Uhhhh, duhhhhhhhh.

Seosaid
10-07-2004, 10:30 AM
What annoys me most are comments that people make such as :

“oh, me I can’t lift too heavy cause I put on muscle really quickly”

“Maybe you should take aerobics class instead of lifting weights”

“ohh wait you’ll stop working out that much one day...”

“It’s easy for you to have time to work out…YOU don’t have a family”
(No dumb a..! I “only” work 40 hours at my regular job + I’m a freelance translator/writer (takes at least 25 hours a week of my time) + I still attend university + I teach a class + part of my contract is that I have to attend at least one trade show/event representing the gym every two week… but lucky me I don’t have kids so I still have time to go the gym 5-6 days a week!!

“you’re TOO thin” (comment made ONLY by overweight women!)

“Your legs/shoulders/back are TOO muscular for a girl” (according to what standard?)

“What you do isn’t healthy” or “it’s not good for your body to train that much” (again… according to what standard?)

It seems like people are afraid of our success and dedication… and instead of getting off their humongous butts, they try to find excuses to their poor habits and laziness by making negative comments, like they wished we’d fail so it would make them feel better.

buffchick
10-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Aside from the ones already mentioned (especially the "I want to get toned" and "I don't want to get too bulky" comments), my favorite is when people comment that they'd *rather* eat something other than what I'm eating. As in, "Well I like the taste of butter more than I think I'd like that baked potato plain." Well I'd rather taste cake than oatmeal, but I'd *rather* be all buff than run out of breath going up a flight of stairs!

Buffycat3
10-10-2004, 09:28 AM
These are all good or should I say "bad" questions people ask, I've heard Many of them. LOL

The questions that I have been asked that are dumb refer to diet. ( i'm not sure if these have bee posted yet, but worth another *duh* from everyone )

I am eating with other people, and dessert comes around....someone says "Ah, poor Joan can't have any" Or "I feel bad you can't have any"
Another question...."Can you eat this?"

Firstly, Don't feel sorry for me, don't feel bad for me I WANT and feel GREAT that I pass on the sugary-poison-high-calorie-high-fat-dessert.
It is YOU that I feel bad for, putting all that icky sweet goo into your body.
and for the question...."Can you eat this?"
I say, I can eat anything that I want....But I don't WANT to.

I have never come down on someone nor do I preach to others about their unhealthy diet....if they ask me, then I will give my reasons for a healthy way of eating.

lean+liftin_
10-10-2004, 11:51 AM
i could go on and on with this one. here's one for starters. i work as an aerobics instructor and personal trainer at the gym on arizona state's main campus. when i was preparing for a contest about a month ago, i almost got fired because of the way i looked. my fat boss told me that i looked anorexic...i am 5'6 and 115 lbs of pure muscle. she said my "cut frame" and overly healthy lifestyle were discouraging to patrons. i didn't it ice cream and pizza at an employee meeting and she accused me of having an eating disorder. all the while, she chows on her crap food and tells me i am the bad example. she's the f*cking wellness coordinator...go figure (no pun intended)!

i get asked all the other q's about how much i lift (a lot), how i eat (a lot), what i eat (lean, green, clean). i teach an abs class (which i hate doing because it convinces particpants that they can lay on their back for 30 minutes crunching 'til the cows come home and have a six pack like mine. i barely do abs and the times that i do sport rippled abs have been due to diet and cardio! my boss wants me to teach this class because i "display good tone?" AHHHHHHH

Aurora
10-10-2004, 01:02 PM
LOL.

Me too!

What do you do for ab exercises?
-"ummm.. nothing..." LOL

They just dont get it.

The biggest ones are

-Do you do steroids?
-Is it healthy?
-Is it worth it?

justagirl
10-10-2004, 01:08 PM
i'm not a female bodybuilder (i come here because the female bodybuilders here have MUCH MORE dedication and knowledge than most of the twits on 'women's fitness' forums like shape), but just this morning i was lifting, and this girl on the treadmill was eyeing me the entire time. keep in mind that this is the women's only section of the gym and we're the only ones there. i begin to do bicep curls with 20lbs (tiny, weak arms heh).. she gets off of the treadmill, walks towards me and says 'you should try 10lbs.. you're going to look like a bodybuilder!'

amazing how some girls think it's EASY to look like a female bodybuilder. like one day you wake up and say 'hey, i think i'll be a bodybuilder!' and lift 30lbs and the next morning.. poof! it doesn't take work or anything, no way.

lean+liftin_
10-10-2004, 01:50 PM
yeh, i guess mine weren't really dumb questions, but they are pathetic situations i deal with on a regular basis where i work. it is really unmotivating. that is why i can't handle actually working out there. i teach classes, train clients, and drive 30 minutes up the freeway to gold's gym where i don't know anyone and a majority of the people their are experienced and more serious (and they are considerate and practice proper gym etiquitte, well mostly). unfortunately this is usually at around midnight...the only time i have to lift after schoo and work. it is also better because the crowds (except for the insane ones like me) are there. it is sad the things i have to do to avoid stupid people and bosses and get a decent lift!

another one: "aren't you do excited to get your contest over with so you can eat pizza everyday, live like us normal people, and not have to torture yourself?" um, OK, it's not like i'd eat that **** everyday anyway, what the hell is normal (college students getting fat...not my thing) and i don't look at contest prep as torture...that would be sitting on your ass drinking beer, eating taco bell watching the world go by! alright, enough venting. gotta go to work:)

Aurora
10-10-2004, 02:53 PM
i don't look at contest prep as torture...that would be sitting on your ass drinking beer, eating taco bell watching the world go by! alright, enough venting. gotta go to work:)

Best quote EVER!!!

Do you mind if I use this??

seriously.

I love it!

hotgymchick
10-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Good comebacks to all the dumb questions though, ladies.

I've gotten "you can look like that because you have time"- TRIPLE MAJORING, work 30 hours a week, idiots. I also hate the ones about food, about how I "starve" myself because I don't gorge on 1000 calories a time. Its very discouraging at my gym at peak hours. I get guys coming up to me saying girls shouldn't lift because they won't be soft...errrrr okay. I'd love to have a better gym.

Porky
10-10-2004, 04:31 PM
im a guy but i know how u ladies feel.

i hate this 1 "you must work out every day right?"

SEADRA
10-10-2004, 04:38 PM
The thing I hate more than anything is when a girl will ask me what she can do to lose a few pounds. I always suggest lifting. And they always say " I don't want to lift because I still want to look like a girl." Like your body turns into a man if you can curl more than 5 pounds.

lean+liftin_
10-11-2004, 05:56 PM
omigod!! got one.

i taught two total body conditioning classes yesterday and the dumb Q of the day was..."when i do crunches i feel a burning sensation in my abs. does this mean i am burning the fat off my tummy? if i do crunches 'til it burns everyday, i will have a washboard, right?"

if i wasn't getting paid and on the job at the moment i think i would have gone ballistic and smacked this chick upside the head!!! wow, some people, i tell ya!

Aurora
10-12-2004, 01:36 AM
I feel bad for those people. I just dont think they know where to look for info. Its out there... you just have to get them to put down those damn ignorant spewing fitness mags.

Beklet
10-12-2004, 03:04 AM
Oh my, everyone at work is looking at me because I'm almost in tears here! It would be really funny if it wasn't so sad! I haven't laughed so much in ages!

Seriously though, I have been very lucky. I don't tend to get too much rubbish from people at the gym. THey stare at me, but are far too intimidated to come over. I've had a few rude comments from 'lads' but usually just suggesting I use a lighter weight. Hah!

People at work think I'm a bit mad, but they are always interested in my food (I don't know why, chicken curry/chilli/whatever and rice isn't that exciting). I have people worrying I will 'get big'. I'm big anyway, but that's all fat. Seems it's OK to be big and fat and squidgy, but not medium and muscular and hard.

My boyfriend (who is the lankiest, skinniest thing ever) completely supports me (and loves chicken and rice!)

lean+liftin_
10-12-2004, 02:57 PM
you are right...the info is out there (especially at a gym!) and when i am done getting frustrated, i do have to feel bad for these people. some of them are not only wasting their time but they are also putting themselves at risk for injury. when i am on the job, i consider that and am patient answering all the questions, but on my own workout time...watch out!!

it just sucks because most of the population i deal with gets there fitness info from cosmo or self which is from an entirely different planet than what i learn in school (kinesiology majoy) or even from more credible and/or hard core mags. a lot of the dumb things people ask me are based on "what they read in glamour while they were on the elliptical"...my dumb question to them is..."how can you read and get a decent cardio workout at the same time?"

questions of the day...
girl asks, "how do i get biceps like your's?" (i am concentration curling a 25) i say, after telling her to hold on and observe gym ettiquite because i am in the middle of a set, "well, why don't you try what i am doing."...i give her a quick crash course on proper form (i was feeling nice today). she grabs...get ready, the one pound hot pink dumbell! she then asks, "isn't this muscle called the arm? you called it a bicep, what's that?" i could've coached her on the overload principle or basic anatomy, but i had to continue my interrupted workout and wasn't feeling that nice!" peace out!

Signe
10-12-2004, 03:06 PM
she grabs...get ready, the one pound hot pink dumbell! she then asks, "isn't this muscle called the arm? you called it a bicep, what's that?"

You're a nicer person than I am. I don't think I would have been able to restrain myself from saying something really sarcastic in response to that.