PDA

View Full Version : I need to hear from female competitors..

pinkchick2328
10-05-2004, 11:49 PM
I just finished my first figure contest - did ok... missed a trophy by 2 but I loved the experience. Can't wait to do it again!
My question has to do with my skin. It started drying out about a month before the contest. I followed my trainer's advice - he is a long-time competitor and I did well losing excess water and fat. But my skin looked bad.
Off season I am: 5'5", 125lbs, 17% bodyfat (approx)
Showtime: 5'5", 120lbs, 12% bodyfat (approx)
My daily diet 1 month out from the show:
1) 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop whey, 1/2 apple
2) 6 egg whites, 4 oz sweet potato
3) 6 oz salmon, 1 apple
4) 6 oz salmon, 4 oz sweet potato
5) 6 oz cod, green beans
6) 6 oz cod, large spinach salad
7) whey protein shake
*All the while I am drinking 1 1/2 gal of water a day.
2 weeks before the show:
1) whey protein shake, 4 oz sweet potato
2) 6 oz salmon, 4 oz sweet potato
3) 6 oz salmon, green beans
4) 6 oz cod, green beans
5) 6 oz cod, green beans
6) 6 oz cod, spinach salad
7) whey protein shake
*Starting Tuesday before show switched to distilled water.. 2 gal, then 1 gal, then 1/2 gal,then 1/4 gal, then sipping to none.
I had no energy for weeks - fuzzy brain -
***Workouts: 45 min cardio 5 mornings a week. 2 leg workouts per week (1 heavy lifting, one hi-rep/low-weight lifting), mid-heavy upper body lifting***
My next show I am going to do it different - but not sure what will keep my skin supple, and muscles full. I went flat twice during my training - and little the day of the show.

thanks for any suggestions!

pinkchick2328

MsFit
10-06-2004, 09:02 AM
If you want to be tight for the stage, that means drying out, and your skin will suffer a little. Let's face it, competing is not healthy and it causes our organs to work overtime.

I don't think it's the diet really, as there's a lot of fish included, those essential fats will help your skin.

Take a lot of vitamins and minerals, as well as herbs, such as Yellow Dock, Witch Hazel, Primrose, Lavender, etc to cleanse and purify the blood and to rejuvinate the skin. I wouldn't take any the last week before the show though.

pinkchick2328
10-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks MsFit

and I know competiting is hard on the body.. I'm going to try something a little different next time. Not sure what - will do some reading and experimenting.

blessings,
pinkchick2328

MagicPunt
10-07-2004, 06:37 AM
You should be taking a Whey + Carbs (Low or Hi, you decide) Postworkout shake. I see none

You should mixup your protein sources and try turkey, chicken, lean red meat, Skim Milk, more Egg Whites, or something besides fish.

You want EFA's + Lowfat Cottage cheese (or other SLOW digesting protein) before bed, not Whey

MsFit
10-07-2004, 07:24 AM
I'd be cautious with protein drinks and dairy before a contest. Real and unprocessed food would be best before stage.

hb52879
10-07-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree with MsFit about the oil. However, I had the same problem when I started dieting and I found a couple of things worked for me. Adding in some faxseed oil and an Alpha Lipoic Acid supplement really helped me retain some moisture in my skin.

Hope this helps. Obviously it will have to fit into your split to make it sucessfull.

pinkchick2328
10-10-2004, 12:48 AM
thank you hb52879 and everyone..

I was taking alpha lipoic acid tabs but I had quit the flax seed because I used to put it in my oatmeal, but my trainer took my oatmeal away. I got really shredded, but my skin took the beating.
I was wondering what caused that.. does anyone know? Is it the thyroid talking back? just shrink-wrapped skin?

thanks all.. you are awesome..

pinkchick2328

Aurora
10-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Also have to agree on all points above. I WISH I had your diet!!! I dont get any fat nor starches at all and had to start distilled water 2 weeks out.

But I find tanning really helps, the moisturizer that is in the tanning lotions are alot more potent/softer, whatever then over the counter moisturizers. You can buy after tanning moisturizer aswell.