PDA

View Full Version : How to make yams/sweet patatoes

Clipse
10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I got a yam couple days ago when I went shopping, I want to have it with some chicken and beans, but how exactly do I make it without boiling it, can I steam it in the microwave or just wash it, put it on a plate and then let the microwave to baked patato and thats it?

Yeah I know its sad, lol.

thanks

Sixpack
10-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Throw em in the microwave and sprinkle cinnamen and splenda on em

Ivey_Itch
10-05-2004, 02:09 PM
take a knife and stab the potato a few times, wash it off good, and wrap it in a damp paper towel. Throw it in the microwave for about 8-10 minutes, less or more depending on size and your microwave. I like splenda and cinnamon on mine too... or some walnuts and sugarfree syrup.

Clipse
10-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Arent they sweet enough lol?!?!

Sixpack, do you have any photos, I remember reading somewhere that you havent cheated in like 7 years maybe I'm wrong. But if so that takes alot of mentality. Either or, you seem to answer all my questions in my posts. :D

taffer
10-05-2004, 02:31 PM
microwave pfft!
i steam my sweet potatoes in a pot! taste 100 times better
it may take a while longer but it sure tastes alot better!

Shike
10-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I bake mine for 30 minutes. Take out the insides and mash them with skim milk. Tastes very sweet. Little too sweet for me actually.

RipStone
10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Clean that sucka real good then poke some holes in it with a fork and nuke it for about 5-10min(depending on your microwave). I'll echo the cinammon comments and you can add some applesauce too.

saw14
10-05-2004, 05:26 PM
clean it off, use a knife to make slits in it...go deep with them so you go all the way thru it evens out the cooking process plus makes it cook faster, then cut up however.

i like cinamon, splenda, and sf/cf maple syrup(atkin's cause i dont want to to buy davinci online yet) or i think they are good with salsa and ff cheese, mustard and hot sauce. i also like to mix it with either spinach/broccoli/cauliflower and then top with tuna. damn thats my power meal after a hardcore leg or back/bi day...a 1lb sweet potato with spinach, a can of tuna toped with garlic powder, frank's red hot, and yellow mustard(dijon would be better but im to cheap to go buy another bottle). i have a new recipe idea but havent tried it yet and not going to til thanksgiving so after that i can post it for the forum to see(it'll be good though).

Sixpack
10-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Yes look in my signiture they are from yesterday, and my micorwave is my best friend lol, and no bro its 8-9 years

Arent they sweet enough lol?!?!

Sixpack, do you have any photos, I remember reading somewhere that you havent cheated in like 7 years maybe I'm wrong. But if so that takes alot of mentality. Either or, you seem to answer all my questions in my posts. :D

Clipse
10-06-2004, 07:17 AM
I gotta hand it to ya, 8 years is alot man. So do your cheats just consist of upping your calories with clean food then?

Sixpack
10-06-2004, 07:25 AM
NO i don't cheat if i want to bulk I add calories per meal etc bro

Clipse
10-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Oh I see what you mean, hopefully soon I can start eating just clean instead of sneaking **** in. :rolleyes:

Zensuji
10-06-2004, 07:36 AM
i bake them for about an hour and a half on 180-200c

perfect

A.VOID
10-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Wrap in saran wrap and nuke for 7 minutes (medium size potato). Guaranteed perfect everytime. Cut, peel, eat with whatever you put on top.

Sicshift
10-06-2004, 08:16 AM
I like mine mashed. Dice em into 1 square inch pieces, steam for 10 minutes, mash up and maybe add just a little salt and you're good to go. Go's great next to a chicken breast.

leonutz
10-07-2004, 07:58 PM
dont mash, microwave or bake the potatoes!
boiling and steaming is trhe best as the other methods raise the GI of the food..

Clipse
10-08-2004, 07:38 AM
I like the skin on them though. I dont like them that much, find them too sweet, but like other **** I didnt like in the begining, I'll get used to them after a week.

Zorro274
10-08-2004, 02:04 PM
I microwave them and put some Fat Free Greek Yogurt on them

I found this stuff at the store, it tastes kind of like sour cream but sooo much better.

FF Greek Yogurt: In one cup there are 80 cals, 0g Fat, 6g Carb, 15g Protein

On occasion ill get the lowfat, because it tastes so much better. This one, per cup, has 130 cals, 8g fat (5 sat), 3g Carb, 12g Protein

*You could always use regular yogurt instead (i suggest the unflavored kind). Trust me, it tastes great.