PDA

View Full Version : Split vs. Full body workout for newbie ?

Eric_FXST
10-05-2004, 09:00 AM
A million thanks to everyone who has helped me with setting up a routine for my wife.

Question is, I have always used a 4-day split routine. However, I understand that newbies achieve best results by beginning with a full-body routine.
Laurie (from this forum) gave me an excellent split routine for her to try. And, I have also discovered an excellent full-body routine at stumptuous.com.
This is a beginnners routine from Krista's website:

squat or leg press
2 x 12-15
lat pulldown
2 x 12-15
shoulder press
2 x 12-15
one-arm dumbbell row
2 x 12-15
bench press
2 x 12-15
calf raise
1 x 15
ab crunches or swissball crunches
2 x 12-15

What are your thoughts/ views on this routine, and results from trying a full-body vs. split routine in the newbie stage? I would most likely encourage my wife to try this routine for a month or two. And, then shake things up with a 3-day split.

Thanks!
Eric.

TuffGirl
10-08-2004, 04:39 PM
...However, I understand that newbies achieve best results by beginning with a full-body routine....
...What are your thoughts/ views on this routine, and results from trying a full-body vs. split routine in the newbie stage?...
Thanks!
Eric.

Eric,
I've been lifting for about a year now and amazed at the strength gains that I have achieved by utilizing the full body work out. I am much stronger than several of my gal friends at the gym who do split routines.

The difference that I have found is that they are much more "cut' that I. Which I am convinced is attributed to our different approaches to weight training.

Being strong was my first desire. And I think that power lifters and strong gals prefer full body routines verses split routines for this reason: YOU CAN GET STRONG VERY QUICKLY WITH EVERY OTHER DAY FULL BODY ROUTINES.

Still, in order for your muscles to grow, you need REST. With a split routine, your muscle fibers have more time to rest and rebuild after being torn down.

Funny that you ask this question now, as I am about to switch to a five day split so that I can achieve the cut that I want. I think I have a good base so far. My "Cut" begins on October 11th. I'll keep you posted as to how I feel about the split routine...

Good luck to your gal.

Eric_FXST
10-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the response.
One funny sidenote is how much more informative the responses are in the female bb section than those in the Exercising or Workout program sections.

Usually a typical guy's response is 'that sucks' or 'looks good', with little to no explanation given.

Once again, THANKS!

Aurora
10-11-2004, 08:47 AM
I think with most newbies the question is how do you keep them motivated? If your not used to being in the gym, the drive time, the hour in there, the drive home etc.. It can be too overwhelming at first. So if you give them split routines right off the start they typically have a higher chance of dropping out. Whereas if you give them full body routines only a couple times a week, then its not as much of a commitment time wise, they are more likely to be consistent and stick with it. It doesnt really matter what you give newbies to do, because their body isnt used to it regardless. So they are going to be sore, and they are going to see fast results in the beginning no matter what. Once your over the mental hump, and you desire more stimulation then you can go to splits.

PS most powerlifters that I know, use an upper/lower split EOD.