PDA

View Full Version : To many fats

cad2
10-05-2004, 07:13 AM
I have been finding that I am eating alot of fats such as olive oil, peanut and walnuts and nut butters. I do eat all natural as often as possible but recently I have found that I am putting on a few pounds. I think it has to be from the amount of fat I am eating but seeing as I am latose intolerant I am somewhat limited in my snack options and I don't know if I can tolerate one more piece of chicken. I was thinking about keeping protein bars around, but they just seem to be over processed and full of sugar, can anyone reccomend a good one to use, or any recipes for snacks that would be good.
Thanks Cad2

Stasha
10-05-2004, 09:07 AM
What is your overall diet like. You may not be taking in the proper proportions of fats/carbs/protein.

How active are you...do you weight train, do cardio. Give us a bit more info.

cad2
10-05-2004, 01:26 PM
I am five foot five about 118 pounds am very active. I eat very clean oatmeal pancakes, 3 egg whites and 1tblsp natural peanut butter most days for breakfast. If I am hungry in the morning I will have a handful of nuts, lunch is usually salad 4oz of meat and a piece of fruit or brown rice, afternoon snack- hard boiled egg with some more nuts and a bit of fruit, and dinner is somewhat the same as lunch. I have an evening snack of an apple and peanut butter. I do cardio 3 days a week for 30 to 45 min, and the other days I lift weights moderately heavy 3 day split and on Sunday I relax. My claories are usually about 1800 a day. I think that the extra fat I have added by the way of eating nuts I have been adding them to my salads and just pretty much snacking on them on and off all day. I am not worried about gaining a few pounds I just would like to find a few substutites instead of getting all of my calories from fat. My bf is about17%

impossible702
10-05-2004, 03:06 PM
looks like you're eating mostly healthy fats, which are very beneficial to your health.

Hibiscus09
10-05-2004, 04:19 PM
118lbs and 17% bodyfat is great shape! :) If you feel you are eating too many nuts, cut back on them. I think an ounce or so of nuts a day is fine & good for you! You should probably add salmon a few times a week, and/or some flaxseed oil.

Stasha
10-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Depending on how many nuts you eat can make a difference. About 1 oz of almonds is about 24 whole pieces which is about 14 grams of fat which is 126 calories. On an 1800 calorie a day diet you probably want to keep your fat intake to about 55g/495 calories. Which would be about 3 servings of EFA's. Your carbs and protein can make up the rest of your calories each at 600 calories. It doesn't sound like you are eating very many carbs. Try adding a small sweet potato in one of your meals or have it as a snack. You may also want to try adding some brown rice with dinner.

Rice cakes are a good snack. You could do 1T(16g) on a rice cake which is 1/2 serving of PB twice a day and 2 servings of almonds.