PDA

View Full Version : First week

nannouface
10-04-2004, 12:29 PM
This was my first week lifting weights and let me tell you I love it. I just have a question though.

I am doing a total body workout which is fine with me but my most trouble spots are my thighs of course and my butt.

Leg extensions
Leg curls
Calf raises

These are the only exercises that I have in my routine for my legs. I am also doing the treadmill and at times the eliptical trainer. I do these every second day and 10 min before my workout. Is there anything else that I should incorporate. I don't want to bulk them of course, so any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sunshineslynn
10-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Congrats on entering a new era. Weight lifting is great I felt the same way 2yrs ago when I first picked up the weights and now crave it like junk food.
To tighten up your leg you really need to do squats and lunges. I do those along with leg curls, leg presses and extensions. I also do seated calf lifts and standing. But to just start out I was doing squats and lunges. If you want to really hit the glutes weighted lunges.

smiles
s

nannouface
10-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks I will do just that. I can't wait to see my muscle definition and hopefully soon I will be able to post a before and after pic to show my results and improvements. I must say the Gym is now my second home.

runninggirl
10-05-2004, 05:20 AM
you will love it when the definition in your legs starts to come through!!! i've always been super self-conscious about my legs - they were built to sprint, so they have always been a bit big ;) while you remember to get in the workouts, don't overlook the cardio or diet. you will need both to help in shedding some of the fat that we lovely women like (well, maybe not like ;) ) to carry in the lower half of our bodies.

when you said you do cardio every 2nd day 10 min. before your workout, is it more of a warm-up?

stay strong!!!
rg

nannouface
10-05-2004, 08:03 AM
on monday's
I do 10 min on the treadmill to warm up
then I do a total body workout

on tuesday
I do 30 min on treadmill or any other cardio machine available (for variety)

On wed
I repeat what I did on monday

Thurs
Cardio
and so on

My diet is strict I eat all healthy foods and I treat myself from time to time but not often. I have already droped 2 pounds in my first week and I will take my measurement in a couple of weeks.

Is doing only 30min of cardio everysecond day enough?

runninggirl
10-06-2004, 04:30 AM
for the 30 min. of cardio are you doing LI or HIIT? do you like outdoors or indoors? sorry, i love cardio - when i have the energy - so if you need some ideas to break it up a bit, i'd be more than happy to help :)

i guess it would depend on what you are doing and what your goals are. are you completely new to working out, or just getting back into it? either way, i think it's great that you're enjoying it this early in :) i had strayed from the active lifestyle for a bit, and coming back was sooooo hard!!! i don't think i started liking it until much later!!! ;)

kudos on the diet!! you're going to do very well!! if you haven't already, i would recommend starting a training journal. you don't have to document every detail, but it's nice to have a general outline to look back on to help see what works for you. keep track of your progress through pics and stats too. it's nice to see how all of your hard work is paying off, especially on those low motivation days :)

rg

nannouface
10-06-2004, 09:02 AM
I try and do a HIIT cardio workout, it makes me feel like I am getting a better workout. It's extremely hard but worth the effort. I try to get out and walk at times but I get more out of going to the gym since it is getting cold outside here. As for how long it's been, well it's been almost a year since I stoped doing cardio and about 9 years since I've lifted weights. But it's not too late and I am looking foward to building my body again. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

I do the eliptical trainer and the treadmill
I take turns for variety if there is anything else you can suggest by all means I will take all the help that I can get. I really appreciate the support and the modivation I am doing this by myself and this sight is my modivation so thanks again

runninggirl
10-11-2004, 09:08 AM
it's never too late!!! i think what you're doing now is great :) give it a little time, so that you can see how your body is responding and you have a base to work from. you don't want to make too many changes all at once when you're getting back into it. you will want to see what works best for you and if you change a lot at once, it's hard to pinpoint what works and what doesn't. if you start to feel a burnout from HIIT, take a week or two and switch to a longer lower intensity workout to give your body and mind a break. this also keeps your body guessing and helps you to avoid a plateau :)

stay strong and positive ;)

rg

nannouface
10-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks I will do just that. I figure maybe try and do only one HIIT workout a week and go from there. I like variety cause I get bored easy so that's great. I really appreciate the advice so thanks again and I will keep everyone posted with my results.