PDA

View Full Version : Sugar busters

Pumkin
10-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi! I'd like to know if any of you have any comments about the "sugar busters" diet out there? I'm not necesarily looking to lose weight but mainly lose a bit of excess fat that can't seem to come off no matter what I do or how hard I train.

AceRx
10-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Please enlighten us on what the "sugar busters" diet is. I know I have seen that book at the bookstore, just never have taken a look at it.

Pumkin
10-02-2004, 06:53 PM
I just found out about this today while doing a comparison of different diet plans such as Atkins, South beach, Scarsdale and the likes.

Sugar busters states that a high sugar intake is the main cause for weight gain (due to the insulin inbalance), thus forbidding any foods containing sugar. It promotes wheats, pasta, meats and vegetables. So far, that's pretty much all I've gathered. Some critics say weight gain has nothing to do with sugar itself but with the caloric intake. Others say the diet still promotes a healthy balance and that if you are careful about portions, it is a great plan.

I just wondered if anyone had heard or experienced anything further on the topic ..

moody_weasel
10-03-2004, 03:24 AM
I'm not necesarily looking to lose weight but mainly lose a bit of excess fat that can't seem to come off no matter what I do or how hard I train.

I can't comment on the sugar busters diet but if you post your diet and workout regimen we could take a closer look at it and maybe help you out.

Aurora
10-03-2004, 10:50 AM
It would be correct. High sugar foods are the primary reason why people are fat, and why low carb fad diets work. The worst thing about high sugar foods is that they usually also contain fat. A deadly combo. Fat by itself is ok, sugar by itself is ok, sugar + fat = cellulite.

The caloric critics would also be correct. But take into consideration how many calories are in high sugar foods. They are both right.

beerman_420
10-06-2004, 02:25 PM
yes sugar is my biggest problem and i cant do a thing about it. i still live with my parents cuz im not financially stable yet so when it comes to getting healthy foods, the only thing i can find is special k ceral which is loaded in sugar. We get peas and oatmeal like once a week and after a couple of days its gone. I find that when im eating the low g.i. carbs i have more energy without eating as much. when i eat the special k it seems like im not satisfied until the box is empty which is about 1500 calories of junk sitting in my stomach i hate it but thats life i guess. DONT FOLLOW ATKINS...THE DIET MEANS TO EAT LOW G.I. CARBS. NOT LOW CARBS....IM AMAZED PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND THAT.

Pumkin
10-06-2004, 05:38 PM
moody_weasel:

I've posted my diet before but most of the time, when I get suggestions on my diet from this site, it is way too much for me. I'm not competing and I'm nowhere near what you all strive to accomplish. I simply train a lot to be healthy overall and to get some muscle definition. I've always been thin, sometimes even too thin in my upper body, but I had spent my time just dieting and never exercising ... up to a few years back. Now, training and nutrition are some of the most important aspects I look after and I come here to get your opinions because I feel you know best.

I'm 5'3" and right now weigh 112 lbs. It's been about 4-5 months I've checked my bodyfat at the gym and I remember it was quite low for a woman. I usually train 3 times a week and I do an overall body workout each time + now, I've started again on the cardio with about 20 minutes of treadmill.

Normal diet lately:

Breakfast:
- 1 shredded wheat
- 1/4 cup All-Bran
- about 1/4 of 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon flax oil in 1/4 orange juice

Snack:
- either an apple or an all-bran bar

Lunch:
- 1/2 can of mixed beans (6-blend)
- 1/4 can of corn
- 1/2 can of cut carrots
- a bit of olive oil
- a bit of balsamic vinegar
- flax seeds

OR

- 2 slices flax bread
- 1 can of thai tuna
- 1 tablespoon fat-free mayo
- some cheddar cheese (equivalent of a slice or so)
- a fat-free small yogurt

Snack:
- whichever I didn't get a chance to eat in my morning snack

Dinner:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 cup of frozen veggies
- sometimes a bit of salad although I hate the taste of lettuce
- 1 slice of flax bread

Snack/dessert:
- 1 small fat-free pudding

I'm a big water drinker, always been. Drink more than enough and that's actually all I drink with the exception of coffee once in a while.

I oftern get hungry throughout the day but I don't know what to eat as snacks that are low-carb and low-fat. I try to avoid carbs a lot because they bloat me up.

So there it is.