PDA

View Full Version : muscle group lagging or uneven development

Blaney4
10-02-2004, 04:23 AM
If a muscle group is lagging behind others in development, should I increase the number of sets and or reps or should that body part be worked a secind time per week or should I be reexaming the exercises I am doing/form?(My shoulders are lagging a bit) Also my right arm is developing larger then my left, whats the best way to bring my left arm up the level of my right. Should I do more exercises just for my left arm? I have been lifting 6 months and was wondering if these are common problems? Thank in advance everybody:)

imperfectly_lou
10-02-2004, 05:07 AM
Yes it is quite a common problem :)

When you have reached a plateau on a particular body part (and shoulders are often a culprit) I would re-examine the exercises and reps/sets you are doing. Try switching to cables instead of DB for example. One thing I have tried is doing military presses on the smith machine, and the burn in unbelievable. You should also prioritise that body part by giving it its only day. I do shoulders on their own day, as far as possible away from back and chest. You may also want to consider drop sets, negatives, partials etc

As for uneven development, that is also quite common. I am left handed so my left arm, shoulder, even calf are all stronger. If you have a noticeable difference in size, try working the muscles unilaterally e.g. do alternating DB curls or preacher curls instead of using a barbell. You could also throw in some shock techniques like drop sets, partials, negatives, or even an extra set. I am big fan of drop sets for bicep curls.

Blaney4
10-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks :) Great suggestions. I'm going to switch up my exercises some and add the smith machine..........never thought of doing that and I bet it will help me increase my weight too! I'd love to make shoulders a separate day but am not sure I can commit to the time right now.

Lumiere
10-09-2004, 07:47 AM
I always start my lagging muscle group at the beginning of the week.

If your left arm is bigger than your right arm, trying using dumbells for arm/ shoulder exercises like what imperfectly_lou has suggested, letting the left arm lift a weight on its own forces it to do the lifting properly. And you should always start with the left side first (i.e. the lagging side first) then the right side, remember that the right arm should only do as much as what the left arm is capable of. Never do heavier weights/ more sets for the lagging side.