PDA

View Full Version : My training and diet, tell me if i'm wrong

JKim
05-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Hey, first off I would liek to say i'm sort of a starter on this weightlifting/cutting up deal. I've been lifting weights for about a year now, and i decided i want to cut up for by this october for my school's swim season. So I started doing cardio along with my weight training about Febuary and i've lost about 40-45 lbs. (I'm 6'1 and now I weigh 185 lbs.) I still don't have the desired looks I want and my BF% is still pretty high I think (i don't have calipers to check). I know that i haven't lost much muscle because my strength hasn't gone down much but maybe 10 lbs in all my maxes. So I was wondering if anyone can tell me if i'm doing something wrong. I weight train 3 times a week full body in my garage. I am limited on my choice of exercises because i only have a squat rack, bench, and olympic weights. Each workout I do 2-4 sets of squat around 8 reps, 4 sets of bench with 3 reps, and last set with 10, 4 sets of lat pulldowns, and 5 sets of 3 reps on military. Now as for my diet, i usually try to space my meals out to equally get 5-6 meals in a day, but sometimes I end up eating 3.

My diet
#1- Cardio, then a whey shake or apple cinnamon oatmea w/ 500 mg flax oil, and a centrum
#2- 1 cup brown rice or 2-3 slices of whole wheat bread, 2 chicken breasts, or a good sized steak
#3- 2 slices of whoel wheat bread or Cinnamon apple oatmeal, another portion of meat
#4- after workout, high portein/low carb shake
#5- a medium serving of meat

And on my busy days, i just take in 3 meals a day, basically same type of stuff in that. I also have another question, since i'm trying to cut down my body fat i try eating my least meal around 7, and I sleep around 10. Some nights i'm not able to workout until 8-9 p.m., and I was wondering if drinking that protein shake would be bad because i use skim milk instead of the water, and it has 20 grams of sugar. And is it bad to drink a shake about 20 min or eat somethign 20 min after morning cardio session? Thanks alot for reading my post and please feel free to tell me if i'm wrong on doing something.

97LT1
05-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Well, being at the weight you were at, i don't think you lost too much muscle. Try adding some Glutamine as another supplement. It prevents muscle loss while dieting. You should wait an hour before you eat after cardio. You should have a shake, something on the lines of a whey isolate. Let me get back to the glutamine. You should take at least 20 grams per day. 10 grams before cardio, on an empty stomach, and 5 grams in your post cardio shake. I use Precision Protein from EAS as my post cardio shake. 2 scoops with 5 grams of glutamine. Add a table spoon of flax, too. Get the oil, it's better because it's fresher. It loses it's potentcy in the caps, and who knows how long it was when they were capped. I started in Febuary as well and lost 40+ pounds too. You need to start eating more buddy. Where are the green veggies? Add 3 or more cups a day for more increased fat loss. Upgrade your Multi to something better. I use GNC Multis, they have more vitamins that you need when doing cardio and lifting than those that u are using.Don't worry about using the skim milk, it won't make a difference. Hey, i started using whole milk in my shakes(i have 4 a day) for at least 5 weeks while continuing to lose weight. Hope This Helps and Good Luck.

JKim
05-27-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey thanks for replying, that helped. i do take in glutamine though, it's in the shake, BUt only 5 or 10 grams depending on if i drink 1 or 2 shakes. I'll start adding in those veggies such as lettuce an brocolli.

97LT1
05-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Great. I think i just replied to you in another thread. :)