PDA

View Full Version : tendonitis

dana2000
10-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi all I have been training for about 2 months with a trainer and trying to maintain cardio at 5 days a week...here is my problem my right arm is hurting alot and my trainer said it was tendonitis it has been bothering me for about 2 weeks now up near my elbow and it hurts to lift sometimes....any ideas or suggestions on how to get rid of it and not get it back??? I have noticed that when I am lifting my grip isnt the best I have been working on this could this have contributed to it??thanks all. have a great day

bluegirl
10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Dana!

I don't know much about exercise-induced tendonitis, so hopefully someone will step in and correct me if I'm off-base in that regard.

That said, I've suffered from tendonitis for about three years now, and it can really be excrutiating. If you've had pain for a couple of weeks now, and it's not going away, I'd stop using that arm for at least a couple of days. Tendonitis won't go away on its own; you have to stop using the limb that's in pain. I know how frustrating that is, but trust me, you'd rather be out for a couple of day than push yourself and wind up out for weeks.

If it persists, try an elbow brace like this (http://www.braceshops.com/coreelbowneoprene.htm) -- I have one for when my elbow acts up, and it helps a lot.

Icing also helps, as does heat -- in fact, my physical therapist used to have me submerge one forearm in hot water (with electrostim, whee! ) while the other was in cold water, and then switch every 2 minutes. Having a warm pack and ice pack might be a "home" solution for that. :)

The other thing that I do that really has helped is regular chiropractic/massage therapy appointments. Plus, it feels really good on sore muscles. ;)

Hibiscus09
10-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Definitely rest the area! Did your trainer suggest that? You need to take a break. Ice the area for 20 minutes at least 3 times a day. I've only had tendonitis in my shoulder before, so I don't know what exercises to suggest as far as rehab type exercises. I'm sure you can find some online doing a search. You could also try ibuprofin several times a day for a week or so, although it's not good to take anti-inflammatories for an extended period of time -- hard on the liver.

dana2000
10-01-2004, 05:54 PM
thanks and actually my trainer did tell me not to use that arm much and she also told me to ice it down. i think that i may be going full speed ahead to fast with this. i have been lifting for about 2 months and i want results like yesterday. i really do think i have been over doing it a little bit i am also having some trouble with shin splits from the treadmill so i have been hurting the past few days. i really want to get rid of this fat and uncover the muscle underneath and i know it takes time i am just very impatient..thanks for the advice.

jsf61
10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
You have to lift very light and completely avoid exercises which aggravate it, i can't do pushups at all, in a few days if i do, i can't even lift a cup, i have tendonitis in my left elbow which is better than the right lol, give it about 1wk of complete rest, and then go to light weight with higher reps, you can do without pain, if you keep reinjuring it will not heal, mine has been on and off for about 3yrs, but now i can do heavy exercises without much pain at all, motrin and icyhot works well too, i also used a brace, one that wraps around, 1in. below the elbow with velcro, so it doesn't pinch your skin when your bending your elbow, if it hurts stop!

lftnchk
10-14-2004, 11:53 AM
I've just recently developed tendonitis in my right shoulder so I know how painful that can be. I had to take almost a full month off. Alternating ice and heat can help as well as compression on the area in pain. You might want to consider getting it looked at by a doctor. Pain in the elbow can be a manifestation of a shoulder injury that you might not even know you have. The tendonitis in my shoulder began with extreme pain in my right elbow. Good luck and feel better soon!

LightningOnIce
10-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Go to activereleasetechnique.com and find a practicioner in your area......................this stuff works wonders for a whole slew of troubles associated with weight training. Guaranteed to help you feel back in yop working order in no time.

L.T.
10-16-2004, 09:40 AM
there is a tensor band that you can buy that is placed right under the joint that will take the pressure off of the major tendons in the elbow. and keep icing it.

nebulous
10-20-2004, 07:17 AM
i had tendonitis over the summer and it sucked. what i did was to use a tensor band when i actually had to lift things at work..eventually it got easier. another thing my doctor told me (im no doctor btw) is to take ibuprofin for the inflammation for probably 3 or 4 days...then what you can also do is whenever you have a moment ice for 20min, then heat for 20, repeat. it took me about
7 weeks to get over it entirely, then just to feel the weight on my forearm again took some getting used to. thats about all