PDA

View Full Version : Critique this PLEASE!! :)

Ivey_Itch
09-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Ok.. this was my first week in the gym! I loved it! LOVED it! So far I've only done the first 2 days, Monday and Wednesday.. Friday will be legs.. But i've went and readjusted the routine I was doing.. some things (like Chins and Dips) I can't do just yet..so i had to replace them.. somethings I didnt' have the equipment for.. But This is what I came up with for Next week. Here's my 3 day split. Keep in mind I came up with this routine and i'm not sure how great it is or what order I should do things in exactly. My goal is to lower my body fat %, i'd love to gain some muscle, but not become overly muscular (I know i don't have the hormones for that anyway) so I guess I shouldn't worry about that :) Please tell me if you think I should leave something out, or use more/less reps or sets on anything. Like I said, I don't know much about what i've come up with. I'm not sure if i'm doing the exercises in the right order or not either. I have some weight training experiance, but it was following the "firm" series videos at home. If anything should be cut or added let me know too please! Thank you for any advice you could give me! Anything would help!! :)

Also, I do HIIT on Tuesday's and Thursdays. Either Saturday or Sunday will be light cardio for about 25 minutes. On HIIT days I also do about 10-20 minutes of abs at night (by following one of my ab videos)

My 3 day split!

Monday -Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Butterfly 3x10
Cable Crossover 3x10
Push-ups 2x25
Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Close Grip Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Dumbbell Flyes 3x10
Standing Barbell Military Press 2x10
Arnold Dumbbell Press 2x10
Front Dumbbell Raise 2x10
Seated Triceps Press (French Press) 3x10
Lying Triceps Press (Skull Crusher) 3x10
Triceps Pushdown (V-bar attachment) 3x10

Wednesday Back/Biceps/Forearms/Abs

Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift 3x8
Hyperextensions 3x10
One Arm Dumbbell Row 4x10 (2 sets per arm)
Close Grip Front Lat Pulldown 3x10
Underhand Cable Pulldown 3x10
Preacher Curl 2x10
Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl 4x8 (2 sets per arm)
Alternate Hammer Curls 4x8 (2 sets per arm)
Reverse Barbell Curl 2x10
Dumbbell Shrug 3x10
Crunches 2x50
Knee/Hip Raise on Parallel Bars 3x10
Cable Crunch 4x25
Butt-Ups 3x12
Planks 3 for at least 60 seconds each

Friday Legs
Barbell Squat 3x8
Barbell Deadlift 3x8
Leg Press 3x10
Leg Extensions 3x15
Plie Dumbbell Squat 3x10
Dumbbell Lunges 4x12 (2 per leg)
Lying Leg Curls 3x12
Inner Thigh Weighted Plies 3x16
Leg Lift 4x25 (2 sets per leg)
Glute Kickback 4x25 (2 sets per leg)
Standing Calf Raises 3x12
Seated Calf Raises 3x12
Calf Press on the Leg Press Machine 3x10

Thanks again for any help!

imperfectly_lou
09-30-2004, 01:11 AM
I am glad you are enjoying your gym!

Your training program is wayyyyy too much and a lot of the exercises are in the wrong order.

Butterfly 3x10
Cable Crossover 3x10
Push-ups 2x25
Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Close Grip Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Dumbbell Flyes 3x10
Standing Barbell Military Press 2x10
Arnold Dumbbell Press 2x10
Front Dumbbell Raise 2x10
Seated Triceps Press (French Press) 3x10

Always do your bench press first, then an incline pressing move (either BB or DB) I would then follow it with the DB flyes OR the cable crossover (they are very similar exercises).

Next, only 2 shoulder exercises - you have already hammered your shoulders. I would do for 3 sets of the military press and 3 sets of either an arnold press or an overhead DB press. Maybe switch to side lateral raises every couple of workouts.

Only 2 tricep exercises too - i would go with skullcrushers and the pushdown.

Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift 3x8
Hyperextensions 3x10
One Arm Dumbbell Row 4x10 (2 sets per arm)
Close Grip Front Lat Pulldown 3x10
Underhand Cable Pulldown 3x10
Preacher Curl 2x10
Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl 4x8 (2 sets per arm)
Alternate Hammer Curls 4x8 (2 sets per arm)
Dumbbell Shrug 3x10
Crunches 2x50
Cable Crunch 4x25
Butt-Ups 3x12

Ok stiff legged deadlifts are more for legs than back so do them on leg day instead

I would do a wide grip lat pulldown (overhand), then a rowing motion like the seated cable row or the one armed DB row. Finish with another wide grip movement such as assisted pullups or T-bar rows.

Only pick 2 bicep exercises and do 3 sets of each (that is 3 sets per arm). I would go with preacher curls and vary between the alternating hammer/regular curls.

If you want to work forearms, then add in 2 sets of reverse curls.

Abs look ok (although I have no idea what a "butt-up" is!)

Barbell Squat 3x8
Barbell Deadlift 3x8
Leg Press 3x10
Leg Extensions 3x15
Plie Dumbbell Squat 3x10
Dumbbell Lunges 4x12 (2 per leg)
Lying Leg Curls 3x12
Inner Thigh Weighted Plies 3x16
Leg Lift 4x25 (2 sets per leg)
Glute Kickback 4x25 (2 sets per leg)
Seated Calf Raises 3x12
Calf Press on the Leg Press Machine 3x10

Again, wayyyyy too much. I would literally vomit doing all that to failure.

Stick with squats, stiff legged deadlifts and lying leg curls And then vary between leg extensions and walking lunges (3 sets per leg). You could then do seated and standing calf raises (maybe even superset them if you wish)

You do not NEED all the glute, inner thigh etc exercises with these compound exercises. I promise! After my leg day, my inner thighs are soooo sore from squats!

Ivey_Itch
09-30-2004, 05:01 AM
Thanks!! I thought that looked like a lot of exercises, but i was scared I was going to leave something out! lol.. Other than the sets you have mentioned, do the other sets/reps look ok? I'll redo it tonight with your suggestions and post what i've come up with. Thank you so much for your help! I worked my back yesterday (with fewer exercises than those listed) and I can really feel it today! Also, do you suggest going to failure on all the exercises? or just certain ones? Thanks again for your help! :)

imperfectly_lou
09-30-2004, 05:47 AM
No problems!

I would keep it to 3 sets for each and every exercise and make your reps in a range (so go for 8-10 or 10-12 for example). This will allow you to feel more confident about increasing the weights for the next set.

And yes, I would go to technical failure i.e. so you can't complete another rep with proper form.

Ivey_Itch
09-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Is this better?? Anything to add or change?? :)

Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Cable Crossover 3x10
Standing Barbell Military Press 3x10
Arnold Dumbbell Press 3x10

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown (overhand) 3x10
One Arm Dumbbell Row 6x10 (3 sets per arm)
Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row 3x10 (Don't have a rowing machine, would this work? or do you have another suggestion?)
Preacher Curls 3x10
Alternate Hammer Curls 6x10 (3 sets per arm)
Crunches 2x50
Cable Crunch 4x25
Butt-Ups 3x12

Friday Legs

Barbell Squat 3x10
Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift 3x10
Lying Leg Curls 3x12
Dumbbell Lunges 6x10 (3 per leg)
Seated Calf Raises 3x12

Also, I really had fun doing hyperextentions (back extentions) and I would like to keep doing those..where would I fit those in? Thanks again for everything!

Oh yeah... this is a butt up.. found it on a search for ab exercises! :)
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Butt-Ups
and also, what do you mean about supersetting the calves??

imperfectly_lou
09-30-2004, 05:32 PM
A superset is where you go from one exercise to the other without taking a break between exercises.

So you could do seated calves, 10 reps, then go and do 10reps on the standing calf, then take your rest period.

I would take out the two armed row and replace it with a wide grip exercise. Does your gym have an assisted pull up machine or a T-bar row?

Ivey_Itch
09-30-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure if the gym has that or not, it's a pretty crappy college gym. I'm not sure what a assisted pull up machine is...we have this thing.http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Wide-Grip+Rear+Pull-Up .. I I tried doing pull ups on it the first day and I couldn't get myself up at all.. same for the dips, i'm just not strong enough yet. If I can't find a row machine could I just like lay chest down on a bench and row my arms up beside me? we also have this machine.. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Close-Grip+Front+Lat+Pulldown

bscrusher
09-30-2004, 06:00 PM
ivey, what are your goals? whatever they are i guarantee they can be acheived in a much simpler way.

there is no physique training goal that warrants more than 4 exercises per workout.

dips and pull-ups may be done 1 inch at a time or assisted in a number of ways. if your goal is bodybuilding you have no need of dips or pull-ups in any case. you may make some use of them a year or so from now when you might need to shock your body into growth.

congratulations on falling in love with the gym. don't overtrain yourself into a deep disappointment. train smart and you will always be making progress.
if that "crappy college gym" has lots of freeweights, a squat rack and a donkey calf machine, you are in luck, this is all anyone needs.

if you want to reach your goals quickly and safely, use all freeweights, stay away from machines. the donkey calf machine and a very few others are exceptions.

Ivey_Itch
09-30-2004, 06:06 PM
My goal is to lower my body fat percentage and one day enter figure competitions. Currently my body fat percentage is 21.78. I'd love to lower it and have great muscle definition. I would love to look extremely cut. Those are my goals. I would love to have the body of a competitior. I don't plan on doing any competitions until i'm done with college (I should be out in May), but I wouldn't mind going ahead and trying to achieve that body for the knowledge and challenge of doing so. Those are my goals :)

bscrusher
10-01-2004, 09:47 PM
excellent goals ivey, pick 2-4 excercises for each workout, the three way split is good. are you doing all this for your own health and happiness only, or to really compete? your particular goals for your physique will probably be different for each case. if you post a few full body pics some of the experts will tell you what you need to work on.

Ivey_Itch
10-02-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm going to take more pic's and redo my measurements on next friday. I weighed yesterday (i know the scale isn't supposed to mean anything) But I maintained my weight of 135. I was pretty happy with that, because I know I didn't gain any fat. (all of my clothes are getting slightly looser!) I'm doing this for myself... no one else! I would love to get into competitions eventually, but right now it's about challenging myself. If you'd like to know stuff that i've been doing and my diet and see some pictures from about 2 weeks ago, check out my journal.. it's called MINE. It's got a pic there and what i've been doing :) Thank you for your advice and guidence!

bscrusher
10-12-2004, 01:07 PM
ivey, i finally saw your pics. congratulations! you look awesome! i noticed again that you do an awful lot of excercises. if your goal is to improve your physique, you should do much less and increase the level of intensity. i think you would look better with more muscle, i know you want to look "extremely cut". to look that way you must build some serious muscle mass. also don't get discouraged if it turns out that your genetics make it very difficult or impossible to look extremely cut. don't do crash dieting or diuretics or any of that crazy ****e. work toward your goal intelligently and persistently and you will make progress. follow the directions i posted for you. you will see results immediately and consistently. if you are not going to compete soon, i suggest not wasting a lot of time on bulking and cutting type activities. instead continue to improve your diet and make your excercise more efficient and productive. whatever your goals are you ought to be progressing. if you are not, your program is faulty.