PDA

View Full Version : info overload causing irritation... help

pocke_change
09-29-2004, 06:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all....

I am coming to you in need of some help.... I'm a 33 yo, female... just getting back into weight training/cardio as I've gained a butt load of weight.... I realize I need to get rid of the fat before I can actually start sculpting.....my dilemma is that I've read so much info on the best weight training routines...and they seem to all differ....

In the past I usually alternated... lower body vs. upper body every other day.... with cardio five days a week... one day total and complete recoup and rest.... but now it seems that (from what I've read) I need work specific muscle groups only one day per week... such as.....
Monday: back/abs
Tuesday: arms/abs
Wednesday: legs/abs
Thursday: chest....
Friday: whatever i've left out...
etc... etc... etc... etc...

Ugh... i'm confused... I am needing a good workout routine to do on a per week basis... that is going to get this gal' rid of the jiggly, squishy mess that i've turned into... so that I can start seeing some of the muscle God gave me under neath all the "gunk".....

Any suggestions from y'all would be of great relief.... as I want to make sure I'm making the most of my time....

thanks,
Penny from Kansas

imperfectly_lou
09-30-2004, 12:13 AM
I would recommend you pick up a copy of Body for Life by Bill Phillips. It has good, basic info on both training and diet for beginners.

Amifit
09-30-2004, 09:17 AM
I started training at 33, too! I had never really done any lifting before, just a bit of playing on the machines in my early 20's, so I was a total novice.

I started by doing cardio & aerobic classes. Just to get on some type of schedule at the gym. I started losing weight right away!

Then I discovered a weight training class that showed me the basics. They did a full body workout twice a week.

From there I took what I had learned out to the "real" gym. First I started doing push days & pull days. Or just doing whatever I felt like when I got there, as long as I was giving my muscles time to rest.

Over the last year I have tweaked with my routine, and have settled into one body part per day, occasionally doing two (like back/bis, or chest/tris) for fun.

This might not have been the scientific way to do it, but I went from a size 10/12 to a loose 4 in 6 months.

IMO, whatever you do will be great. If you only have time for upper one day/lower the next, then do that. As long as you're doing something, you'll improve your health & body.

It also depends on your goals. If you're not looking to get muscular and add mass, then I don't think each body part needs a whole day's attention.

To start, do cardio and get back into the swing of the weights (and your diet, of course). Don't worry about a strict routine. Eventually, you will find what works for your body & your schedule.

Good luck!!
Ami

pocke_change
09-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Ami,

Thanks so much for the advise.... it was well taken.... heart felt.... and i breathed a sigh of relief.... i've been thinking to myself "it's better to be doing something constructive and good for you bod' than being confused and choosing not to do anything at all".... and what you said really hit home to me.... someday, God willing, I'd love to be ripped.... but I'd rather experience being healthy and looking good than nothing at all.... it's in there, dying to get out....

I'm a good sized lady.... and people would keel over if they knew how much i weighed, as i don't look it at all.... but I know it.... I know i can and have looked great.... it just gets really overwhelming at times trying to achieve what you know you can, but not being too sure how to get there....

thanks for helping me realize that with dedication and the will to succeed i will... thanks

God bless,
Penny

Amifit
10-01-2004, 08:40 AM
glad I could help! Just put one foot in front of the other and soon enough you'll be at your goal!

Check out Fitday.com - it's a free site where you can track your food to make sure you're getting enough protein and calories (or not too many!). Seeing my food in a quantitative formula really helped me see where my diet needed work, and it might help you, too!

Keep us posted, and go to the gym!!! :-)
Ami