PDA

View Full Version : Rep range for females

gwarren
09-29-2004, 05:04 PM
I have been lifting for 2 years and my fiance is going to start with me..

I was thinking about mainly putting her on my routine but when it comes to reps i generally stick to 4-6 range depending on exercise and switch it up every so often.

Im thinking thats too little reps for her.. should i get her going more in the 8-12? or possibly more? I havent had too much experience with female training.

CutieFace
09-29-2004, 05:19 PM
I have been lifting for 2 years and my fiance is going to start with me..

I was thinking about mainly putting her on my routine but when it comes to reps i generally stick to 4-6 range depending on exercise and switch it up every so often.

Im thinking thats too little reps for her.. should i get her going more in the 8-12? or possibly more? I havent had too much experience with female training.

depends upon what her goals are...but since she's starting out and us ing light weights go w/ 15/12/10

Cutie

bscrusher
09-29-2004, 06:22 PM
"female training" is no different than male training. her training should be matched to her goals, as we are assuming your training is.

imperfectly_lou
09-30-2004, 12:57 AM
"female training" is no different than male training. her training should be matched to her goals, as we are assuming your training is.

Definitely... but if she is just starting, you want to start her on lighter weights to allow her to learn correct form and technique (e.g. 10-15reps) before you start doing low reps.

gwarren
09-30-2004, 03:43 AM
ok so basically just start her out lightweight higher rep range and gradually move her to any kind of training a male could do?

moody_weasel
09-30-2004, 11:27 AM
ok so basically just start her out lightweight higher rep range and gradually move her to any kind of training a male could do?

Yep. :)

Emma-Leigh
09-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Not light weights, moderate weights. Something that will allow her to co-ordinate her nerves and muscles so she can perfect and maintain correct form until she hits reps of about 12 (or 15 to 'warm-up) but something that is still going to challange her.

Then she can progress to lifting to reps lower rep ranges (the exact rep range will depend on her goals - if she is going for strength then reps of 4 or under are best, if she is looking to maintain and build good muscle then 6 to 12 is what she wants).

moody_weasel
10-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Not light weights, moderate weights. Something that will allow her to co-ordinate her nerves and muscles so she can perfect and maintain correct form until she hits reps of about 12 (or 15 to 'warm-up) but something that is still going to challange her.

Emma-Leigh is correct. Light or lighter weights does not mean pink dumbbells.

Lil Bullet
10-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Emma-Leigh is correct. Light or lighter weights does not mean pink dumbbells.

haha, that is funny.