PDA

View Full Version : How much and what kind of cardio?

tcchsfootball
09-29-2004, 01:25 PM
I have noticed distance runners are skinny as hell and sprinters are lean and cut. What i want to know is how much cardio should i do in a week to maintain my body fat and still build muscle, and should i do things like jogging or walking that is at least a half hour and more low intensity, or should i do things like sprints that are higher intensity?

Thanks to anyone who will reply?

badlad4023
10-01-2004, 05:47 PM
You may be the first to have the desire to 'maintain' their bodyfat, but i catch your drift that you want to bulk but not get fat at the same time.
Here's a tip, your body burns fat more efficiently at low intensities. Fat requires oxygen to be burned so you must work lightly to allow yourself to get that oxygen in there. On the other hand if you strain yourself and oxygen doesn't get in there fast enough your body moves onto a different energy source; carbohydrates. Glucose needs not oxygen to burn so no doubt thats what you will be using when your running 50mph on the treadmill, and the fat will remain. The drawback to low intensity training is that not a whole heap of calories are burned at a high rate, so therein lies your dilema. Unless you have unlimited amount of time to just sit on the bicycle machine doin 2mph, you may want to find a compromise between high intensity and low. Maybe doin moderate cardio 45min 3-4 days a week? Ultimately its your body and only you can really guage how much cardio you should be doing because the biggest fat indicator, metabolism, is different for everybody.

frankieny1
10-23-2004, 08:10 PM
low intensity rocks!!! the fat will stay when u go the high route

playmaker
10-25-2004, 01:33 AM
low intensity rocks!!! the fat will stay when u go the high route

What?

SuperBBGirl
10-26-2004, 07:24 PM
definatley high intensity
hr 150-160

how much and how often depends on body type, cutting, maintaining, increasing lbm while stayng leanetc also dependent on diet

frankieny1
10-26-2004, 08:25 PM
do what the pros do low intensity is the way to go, how many 300lbs you see sprinting up and down your track with 4 % bf

SuperBBGirl
10-26-2004, 09:11 PM
do what the pros do low intensity is the way to go, how many 300lbs you see sprinting up and down your track with 4 % bf

sure follow what the pros do as long as you are on all teh same gear as them

high intensity is much more effective and half the time at each cardio session

frankieny1
10-27-2004, 07:23 AM
everyones gotta hate on the pros for looking so damm ripped and good non believers go huff and puff on that track with the little rolls on ur stomache

SuperBBGirl
10-27-2004, 07:53 AM
everyones gotta hate on the pros for looking so damm ripped and good non believers go huff and puff on that track with the little rolls on ur stomache

the pros are ripped for contest and fat off season. Do you really think they are ripped yr round?

i am far from jealous and my trainer trains Monica Brant and other pros and rolls ya they have rolls what a stupid comment!

and where are my rolls? by the way i weighed 180 at 5'"1 when i first started working out so obviously what i have done has worked for me

playmaker
10-27-2004, 11:07 AM

Do you know that pros taking so many drugs that they dont even need to eat or workout to be so muscular and ripped? When they diet down for a contest they can starve themselfs without losing a gram of muscle because of the drugs! and you probably don't know SuperBBGirl!!! she can kick your a$s!!!

frankieny1
10-27-2004, 07:52 PM
she couldn't kick a cripples ass, she's fat in the offseason just like everyone else,
u dont think sprinters take gear LMAO only half of them lose there medals cause they always get pinched in testing, i know plenty of kids that sprint at the universitys and many are clean dont look nearly as good as those guys in the olympics ripped and shredded, dont think for a second just track work makes u look like that, if your that stupid joing this superbb chick

bscrusher
10-27-2004, 07:56 PM
superbb, you look great!

frank is full of ****e.

SuperBBGirl
10-27-2004, 08:47 PM
i never said sprinter dont' do gear you dumbass

i said sprinting / high intensity cardio is better than low intensity fo rburning fat and guess what i dont' have an "off season" i am 5 lb from my comp weight

the idiots like should should only be allowed to read , not post

playmaker
10-28-2004, 12:23 AM
the idiots like should should only be allowed to read , not post

LMAOOOOOOOOOO

frankieny1
10-29-2004, 10:18 AM
why would i want to read misleasing stupid post from a dumb skank like you, you need people who are far more intelligent to put you in your place and correct your retarted ass , hmmm 180 at 5'1" those fat cells are just waiting to blow up again to new gigantic proportions
honey your in love with yourself your nothing!

Eyes Open
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
why would i want to read misleasing stupid post from a dumb skank like you, you need people who are far more intelligent to put you in your place and correct your retarted ass , hmmm 180 at 5'1" those fat cells are just waiting to blow up again to new gigantic proportions

At your age, one would think you would have the ability to argue with someone without resorting to using elementary school words.

How supremely depressing it is....

Signe
10-29-2004, 11:07 AM

Get the f**k out of here. If we want to read bull**** from illiterate morons, we'll go to the sex forum.

Back to the topic at hand, I also recommend high intensity or HIIT. Low intensity didn't do anything for me when I tried it (5X/wk, at least 30 mins). Then I switched to just 1 or 2 HIIT sessions a week and I've been steadily losing ever since.

BTW, SuperBBGirl, you look awesome!

SuperBBGirl
10-29-2004, 02:32 PM

I think the intellligent readers here can choose whether what i say works or not. How bout you watch the Ms O tonight and tell me that high intensity does not work for the figure and fitness competitors since my trainer has many pro clients.

How many competitions have you done? I have done 6. And placed in all but one. Not bad for someone who never worked out til they were 33 and started out 70lbs overweight.

I don't think I have to worry about "those fat cells" It has been over 4 yrs since I lost it all.

And by the way, I did it all on my own. I never used a trainer until I competed. So I believe I know what I am talking about. Not to mention, I am a certified personal trainer.

What accomplishments do you have?

frankieny1
10-31-2004, 10:08 AM
alot more than you, i dont need to prove who i am and what my credentials are to a skank with a big ass and wide hips like you, broke ass personal trainers like you are a dime a dozen, go impress some little gym buff who will believe your non sense

SuperBBGirl
10-31-2004, 01:17 PM
alot more than you, i dont need to prove who i am and what my credentials are to a skank with a big ass and wide hips like you, broke ass personal trainers like you are a dime a dozen, go impress some little gym buff who will believe your non sense

grow up

i belive you put your age worng i think you are about 15 because you sure act it

there is plenty of research and many peoples personal experience to show the benefits of high intensity cardio

34" that is such wide hips if you are going to make insults at least have them have some sense of reality and comments liek skank?? interesting you don't know me so ha=ow can you make coments on my personality

what? i am a skank just because i don't agree with you

we really need the rolling eyes smily on this site

Maddyg
10-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Come on now, Ladies.

Tsk tsk.

:P

Eyes Open
11-01-2004, 01:02 AM
we really need the rolling eyes smily on this site

All the smilies are found by clicking on the word smilies in the "posting rules" box in the lower left corner of the page here (scroll completely down to the bottom of the page).

Alternately, you can type it ":roll-eyes:" without the hyphen.

I agree that the idiot must be under age considering the babyish use of skank and sandbox level of insults.

mischiev
11-01-2004, 03:59 AM

here i'll do it for all of you :rolleyes:
hey, bro, post your pictures.
i really can't stand people who make so much steam and noise, but no sense at all. come, let us see your "non-skank", "small ass", "narrow hips", "rich" "non-personal trainer" self, which are probably worth a penny a dozen.

you know what? i think you're the little gym buff :) since you have a small ass. sucks to be you. shame on you for being so rude to a lady at that.

anyhow, i would agree that hi cardio is the best for burning fat and it CAN preserve muscle. just look at all the olympic sprinters. their programs resemble hi cardio, and they're not exactly little chickens, or, skanks with big ass wide hips, etc etc. and they're in the olympics, if you're not impressed enough, then what would impress you? a beanpole?

personally though, i prefer to mix low intensity with high intensity. the reason for this is because it'd be heck funny to do a high intensity cardio program, when the next day is legs.

that's the only point i wanted to add on to the lady's points.

anyways, SuperBBGirl, i think you look great! really, especially for that age of 40. if i didn't know i would have thought you were something like 25 :) good job there.. i'm really impressed. heck , even some females in their 20's don't look like that man.

mischiev
11-01-2004, 04:06 AM
she couldn't kick a cripples ass, she's fat in the offseason just like everyone else,
u dont think sprinters take gear LMAO only half of them lose there medals cause they always get pinched in testing, i know plenty of kids that sprint at the universitys and many are clean dont look nearly as good as those guys in the olympics ripped and shredded, dont think for a second just track work makes u look like that, if your that stupid joing this superbb chick
ok, i really can't stand loudmouths.
what sort of kids do you know that sprint?
my high school's track team won the national a division champs, and all their sprinters save for one who's a RESERVE are ripped and shredded. in fact, they are rather muscular too. wonder how many medals your little kids won, it speaks a lot about what sort of track program they've been doing man.

sillyvent
11-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Man You Guys Are Cracking Me Up!!! I Would Say I Agree With High Intensity. I Go From A Size 4/6 To A Size Zero When I Compete And I Use High Intensity! Super Bb You Look Great!

Titania
11-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Bump to bscrusher, playmaker, SuperBBGirl and all the high intensity votes here too.
I tried the low intensity route and all that did for me was waste my time and limit my recovery.
Here's (http://www.aloofhosting.com/titania/Musclefemme%20Gallery/Abs/album.html) a couple of pics of my abs. The six pack one was taken a couple of months after changing to high intensity and the eight pack one was a few months later.
My cardio routine now consists of 15 mins on the crosstrainer with my heartrate at 180 bpm, four times per week.

frankieny1, grow up. :rolleyes:

SuperBBGirl, you look fantastic...great job :D

mischiev
11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
**** titania.. i never got those kind of abs until last year this time..
crazy for a chick!
*kneels down and worships*

Thunder_Bunny
11-02-2004, 04:13 AM
This has to be one of the few times I've seen this much flaming on the female boards.

Personally, I have found high intensity works better. But if you disagree, do what you feel works best for you. Don't go have a hissy fit.

Titania
11-03-2004, 03:34 PM
**** titania.. i never got those kind of abs until last year this time..
crazy for a chick!
*kneels down and worships*
Thanks, Mischiev :D