PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's Big Challenge

Saint Mike
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Did anyone else watch this show tonight?

I have been obese most of my life, however it was no where near the point of some of these kids. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Unlike some athletes, Shaq has definitely done a lot as far as being a role model (reserve deputy, etc).

It's good to see people reconizing the problem that is staring us all right in the face.

PaLftr
06-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Watched it tonight and have a new respect for Shaq. Awesome guy. Should be a good show.

drob71688
06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
I wanted to see it, but missed out. The thing that kinda confuses me is shouldn't they have gotten someone in a little better shape than Snaq?

TheNewestGuy
06-27-2007, 04:13 AM
I think that's kinda the point, because Shaq has to work hard to keep from being fat/obese. That's why he's a more realistic role model than some ultra-ripped dude who was naturally in good shape anyway.

jdominic6
06-27-2007, 05:54 AM
haha, I knew I would see something about that show on these forums fairly quickly. Yea I watched it, I thought it was good that the nutritionist showed how much sugar was in a few sodas.

johnsbod
06-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Does anyone have a link for info on the show?

nithos
06-27-2007, 07:00 AM
http://abc.go.com/primetime/shaqsbigchallenge/index?pn=index

Not sure if those outside the US can watch them, but ABC has the full shows posted online.

razorsedgepit06
06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I thought it was a pretty good show. Interested to see how it turns out. I have to admit, Shaq is pretty damn funny.

SecondSucks
06-27-2007, 10:26 AM
What time is it on? central. I saw the previews for it but i forgot what night it was on.

Joe HadEID
06-27-2007, 10:27 AM
What time is it on? central. I saw the previews for it but i forgot what night it was on.

8 central on tuesdays

BIG JOHNNY C
06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
It's a show about a group of fat kids being trained by a somewhat less fat athlete

johnsbod
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
It's a show about a group of fat kids being trained by a somewhat less fat athlete

Shaq has obviously struggled with his own weight, so he can probably identify more with these kids. I don't think it's fair to put a negative spin on a show that is doing something positive.

nithos
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah, 14% is really fat. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=alipour/070621

Nice job making the same joke in two threads.

Cosworth1977
06-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Its getting pretty bad here in the UK too, but the tv shows have already started to make folks aware of the problems.

Having obese children now is being treated as mistreatment?!

Obviously awareness is the key for now.

mpipes
06-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I wanted to see the show but totally missed it. I think I was watching Criss Angel's Mindfreak.

I'm not a basketball fan or anything but it's really cool that Shaq is using his celebrity to bring this problem out into the spotlight and do something good for society, unlike those other celebs who just get drunk, drive, beat up their girlfriends, adopt babies from other countries and spout political views when they have no knowledge of reality.

Saint Mike
06-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I wanted to see the show but totally missed it. I think I was watching Criss Angel's Mindfreak.As someone else mentioned, if you missed it you can watch the whole episode commercial free at the ABC website. Nithos posted the link earlier in the thread.

Peace,
Mike

kingstu
06-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Shaq always seemed like a cool person and a good role model (or at least he never got caught doing anything too shady). It's good to see him doing something like this.

Funny to see the haters calling the guy fat.

K20A2
06-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I think that's kinda the point, because Shaq has to work hard to keep from being fat/obese. That's why he's a more realistic role model than some ultra-ripped dude who was naturally in good shape anyway.

Why does he have to work from getting fat/obese??

He have some kind of condition??

Saint Mike
06-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Shaq always seemed like a cool person and a good role model (or at least he never got caught doing anything too shady).

Matter of fact...

Shaq is a reserve deputy in Virginia and an honorary US Marshall. He has even done some patrol work in the off season and aspires to become a sheriff once he retires.

The Director
06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Shaq is cool, I like the guy.

Hes a great example of an endomorph, in shape.

PaLftr
06-27-2007, 03:14 PM

It was hard not to neg you.

Goalie_Girl
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I love Shaq. The part where he is singing makes me laugh.

I cant wait to see more of the show. I'd be scared to disobey shaq, that guy could squish me like a bug, or squash my head in the palm of his hand. Hopefully these kids will get better and hopefully it inspires others to do the same.

Lifthard3
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Shaq is awesome ... he has def gained more bf then when he first entered the league ... way back when!!!

I think this show is great and will really get people even more aware of Obesity problems in our country, especially as being on the internet (as i'm typing lol), playing video games, and other activities are becoming increasingly more popular than being outside and active!

152_pilot
06-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Shaq is a great guy and I think its a great idea for a show. For too long they swept the child obesity epidemic under the rug, saying things like its just a little baby fat, etc. Its good that people are being more serious about it and are doing something now.