PDA

View Full Version : Your "MUST DO" Exercise?

Ivey_Itch
09-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Ok.. what's the One exercise you could not live without??!!?? What's your favorite all time exercise...and if you want, what's your absolute favorite for each body part? :)

training
09-29-2004, 10:50 AM
if im really tight on time...ill hop on the chin up bar and the dip station...in a very short period of time you can hit up chest back tris bis and a lil delt involvement there...and you really cant beat the muscle recruitment and stimulation of a free hangin bodyweight exercise...cant wait to see waht other guys put...im sure squats will be right below me...later guys

bluegirl
09-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Oooh, this is a toughie! :D

For practical reasons:
- Wrist flexors/extensors. I have tendonitis in my forearms (a sad by-product of being a writer and motorcyclist), and doing dumbbell wrist curls/reverse wrist curls keeps me pain-free.

For personal reasons:
- Shrugs. I *love* shrugs. How dorky is that? :D
- SLDL. I love the feeling of my hamstrings tightening up.

Gosh, I could keep going and going....

Emma-Leigh
09-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Ok.. what's the One exercise you could not live without??!!?? What's your favorite all time exercise...and if you want, what's your absolute favorite for each body part? :)

Ohhh... Eeepp!!! That is a great question!

Ummm... Ok. I could never possibly pick ONE exercise, but at the moment, for each body part my favourites are:

LEGS: SQUATS!!! SQUATS... SQUATS.... AND MORE SQUATS!! :D

BACK: DEADS!!!! There is NOTHING like a good set of deads to make you want to barf!! :D followed by chins... love chins....

SHOULDERS: CLEAN AND PRESS!!!! Followed closely by standing arnold press

CHEST: FULL BW DIPS! Followed by DB flyes... Although 'bench press' is a foundation move, I just don't get a good pump from it..

Amifit
09-30-2004, 09:03 AM
If I had to pick: Squats (surprise!)

But I also love Bicep curls & sit ups. And anything for the triceps. And calf raises.

Oh, who am I kidding - I love them all!

I wish I could do chin ups and body weight dips...soon, I hope :-)

Ami

MsFit
09-30-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm a squat girl. It took a lot of heavy duty squats to build my bird legs and I want to lose them. My upper body was easy to build, but it took blood, sweat and tears to get my legs to standard.

SEADRA
09-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Oh how I envy you girls that love squats. I will admit I hate them but deffinitly feel them the next day.

I love Straight Bar Bell curls and the overhead barbell press in front of the neck and cable crunches! Oh and leg raises with 10lb ankle weights on.Anything back too. Actually everything but squats. What do you love so much about squats.

I also have a squat question. How far down do you go? I go until my legs are parallel but I hear of people going down until almost there but hits the deck.

hotgymchick
09-30-2004, 03:41 PM
LEGS- Walking lunges with 20 lb. DB's
ABS- Hanging leg raises
BACK- Close grip pulldowns
CHEST- Incline barbell press
TRIS- Close grip bench
Biceps- EZ curl
Shoulders- Military Press

Emma-Leigh
09-30-2004, 03:51 PM
LEGS- Walking lunges with 20 lb. DB's
ABS- Hanging leg raises
BACK- Close grip pulldowns
CHEST- Incline barbell press
TRIS- Close grip bench
Biceps- EZ curl
Shoulders- Military Press

All excellent choices!
(I absolutely LOVE walking lunges too - better than HIIT for getting the heart rate up!! :D ).

moody_weasel
10-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Oh how I envy you girls that love squats. I will admit I hate them

Yes, but it's a good kind of hate. ;)

I personally could not live without push-ups.
Add squats (bodyweight or weighted) and "the plank" to that and I'm happy.

fitormiss
10-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Squats....without a doubt.

Pull ups...they suck, but they work so good!

Crunches..gotta have em...

wow, I can't pick just one. I love shrugs, straight bar curls, push ups, shoulder presses, t-bar rows...

I guess it would be easier to pick what I hate...

leg extensions
concentration curls
lat raises

what are some the least favorites?

Titania
10-03-2004, 02:27 AM
Ohhh... Eeepp!!! That is a great question!

Ummm... Ok. I could never possibly pick ONE exercise, but at the moment, for each body part my favourites are:

LEGS: SQUATS!!! SQUATS... SQUATS.... AND MORE SQUATS!! :D

BACK: DEADS!!!! There is NOTHING like a good set of deads to make you want to barf!! :D followed by chins... love chins....

SHOULDERS: CLEAN AND PRESS!!!! Followed closely by standing arnold press

CHEST: FULL BW DIPS! Followed by DB flyes... Although 'bench press' is a foundation move, I just don't get a good pump from it..
Amen to that, Emma :D

bluegirl
10-03-2004, 11:45 AM
what are some the least favorites?

I haven't yet found an abs routine that I like well enough to stick with. I'm lucky to have naturally decent ab muscles, which I use as an excuse not to work them as much as I should. ;)

I have a love-hate relationship with front raises -- my anterior deltoids are the weakest muscles in my shoulders, so I really hate the front raises while I'm doing them, but then appreciate them later.

Heh, that just reminded me to look at the calendar for today...guess what's on the menu? Front raises! Wheeeee! :D

trnurbdy48
10-04-2004, 04:52 AM
Great question! My favorites are:

Squats, including plie
DL's
Cable Crunch
Weighted physio ball obliques
Weighted leg raises
Military Press
Bent over BB row
Lunges (including reverse and lateral)
Alt. Biceps curl
Overhead Bb triceps extension
Flat Bench Press
incline db press
45 degree leg press
Hyperextensions holding a curl bar
Close grip pull-up

So many more, but these are staples in my program(s)

kbickham
10-10-2004, 10:56 AM

bench press
squat
deadlift
military press
bent over rows

if i don't do those lifts, i fee like my workout wasn't 100%

M Calavera
10-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Ever since I've learnt how to do them properly (thanks moody_weasel!): SQUATS!
They're the best. I love feeling them the next day!