PDA

View Full Version : Someone please explain cardio vs weight training to me

dana2000
09-29-2004, 09:32 AM
My trainer has me doing cardio at least 6 times a week preferably in the morning on an empty stomach...I weight train 4 to 5 times a week as well..My goal is to shed about 20lbs and gain some muscle I am at 27% BF now..I gained weight when I quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago. Is this a good routine for me? I am very focused on this so any advice will be appreciated..by the way I am 35 so my metabolism has slowed quite a bit

team23
10-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Your trainer must be a total Hitler with the brain capacity of a fish!

He is clearly allowing your dedication to run you into the ground! I am a personal trainer and find that some people need to be restrained from too much too soon!

*Cardio training utilises oxygen and stored energy {such as fat and muscle glycogen} to produce the energy for training. The training effect here is with the heart and lungs.

*Weight training uses muscle glycogen to produce energy for the contractions {or reps} in any exercise. The training effect hear is muscle tone/ build/ strength, whatever you want to call it!

They feel different and produce different but use THE SAME ENERGY SOURCES if these are depleted up tp ELEVEN TIMES per week you run the risk of:

*injury *fatigue *overtraining *disrupted sleep patterns *de-motivation
*dislike of exercise

Confront your trainer about his/ her motives and seek advice from a new trainer! Always check qualifications/ credentials!

trnurbdy48
10-04-2004, 05:24 AM
I completely agree with team23. Your trainer does not follow the dictum of "less is more". He's got you on the more is less program. You're overtraining. 3 days of anaerobic training and 2 of aerobic is more than sufficient to reach your goal(s).