PDA

View Full Version : Just starting...

brittaneyg
09-29-2004, 06:06 AM
Hi, I am new to this website and was wondering if anybody had any advice on how to get started. I am slightly overweight and need to lose weight and build muscle. I have been doing aerobics 2X per week and need to add something else because that just isn't enough. Should I run, lift weights, swim....? I am not really concerned about building muscle immediately my main concern is to lose some weight first and then maybe I will be more motivated to build the muscle later... Thank You!!!

nannouface
09-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Lifting weights will also help you burn fat. I myself just started to lift weights and I have a routine that I follow and I keep it simple to start.
I do one set of 15 of each exercise

Universal leg extension for your Quads

Leg Curls for Hamstrings

Leg Press for Quads/Ham/Glutes

Calf Raises on leg press

UPPER BODY

Incline Dumbell for your chest

Pulldowns for your back

seated dumbell press for shoulders

Standing dumbell curls for biceps

Pushdowns Tricep

Standing Dumbell shrugs for your Traps

Then I work on my abs using two different abs machines

I then like to do a 5-10 cardio on a treadmill

I hope this helps. I mark down the weights that I use so I can keep track. Lifting weights doesn't mean you will get huge muscles it is all on how you go about it and what you want.

CutieFace
09-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Hi, I am new to this website and was wondering if anybody had any advice on how to get started. I am slightly overweight and need to lose weight and build muscle. I have been doing aerobics 2X per week and need to add something else because that just isn't enough. Should I run, lift weights, swim....? I am not really concerned about building muscle immediately my main concern is to lose some weight first and then maybe I will be more motivated to build the muscle later... Thank You!!!

I would first ask you how your diet is? also if you have a ymca swimming is a great form of cardio exercise, burns a lot of calories and also is great for working muscles.....

Doing some form of cardio early in the morning prior to eating is great....and if you can add in weight training I'd start out w/ full body workouts 2-3x week...depending upon your schedule..

also may I suggest that you take a sledge hammer to the scale....keep in mind that when you weight train you're adding muscle to your body, wh ich is great as muscle will increase your metabolism 24/7 it uses more fuel....it's also denser hence heavier then fat...so if you see an increase in the scale don't freak out....go by your measuerments..which you should take 1x per month and how your clothes fit....standing in front o fa mirror is good too...

w/ a clean diet...(stay away from fats that solidify at room temp), whole grain carbs....and lean protien you'll be looking lean, hard and healthy in no time

Good luck hon and if I can be of help to you just let me know

*smile*

Cutie

moody_weasel
10-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Check out the thread "newbie with questions" in the Nutrition and Dieting forum. Read the posts by BuffedWildCat. She explains most of what you need to know. :)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=290201