PDA

View Full Version : WHAT am i doing wrong? seriously!

tmac1 4 lyfe
06-26-2007, 07:57 PM
6 foot 180 lbs 14% body fat. iv been stuck at this weight for like 3 weeks. for 2 of the weeks i was doing cardio 3-4 days a week. the past week i went 6 out of 7 days.

I've been eating 1800 cals a day. the fat just will not ****ing leave i mean what am i doing wrong.

i also think my diet is pretty good. here is what i usually eat daily.

8:00 am- 2 packets instant oatmeal with skim milk- 400 cals
11:00 am- whole grain bread with turkey/chicken slices- 350 cals
2:00 pm- nitro tech protean bar- 300 cals
4:30 pm- whole grain bread with turkey/chicken- 350 cals
7:30 pm- tuna fish 1 can- 250 cals
10:00 pm- glass of milk- 150 cals

am i not eating enough? plz help i have no clue what im doing wrong.

ceno
06-26-2007, 08:07 PM
up your cals....

tmac1 4 lyfe
06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
alright do you idea how much i should up them?

sprasad03
06-26-2007, 08:52 PM
up your cals by 500, plus id ont think your getting enough protein, where is your protein in ur 8 am meal? Just tuna fish, thats like not a meal, where are your veggies and fruits? Also, replace the protein bar with a meal cuz protein bars suck!!!

also never run more than 3-4 times.

Bronkko
06-26-2007, 08:53 PM

start over.

eat at your maintenence for a week. then begin cutting again.

ck85abc
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
"2 packets instant oatmeal with skim milk- 400 cals"

Change that to old fashion oats. They cook up in an instant.

Bring water to a hard boil, through in oats, stir for 15 seconds, remove oats from heat. THey are now ready to eat as soon as you can tolerate the tempurature.

ceno
06-26-2007, 09:39 PM

up your cals to 2200 and keep workingout 5-6 days

tmac1 4 lyfe
06-27-2007, 01:06 AM
also was my body trying to hold on to fat because i wasnt eating enough? i've hear that but i just dont understand how if your eating less.

ceno
06-27-2007, 01:35 AM
also was my body trying to hold on to fat because i wasnt eating enough? i've hear that but i just dont understand how if your eating less.

first of all, you're slowing your metobolism.
secondly, once you put your body into survival mode, it tries to hold on to the food you eat (for future use).

when you dont feed your body enough, your body chooses your muscles over your fat as energy source. And you end up with no muscle mass and lotsa fat. aka, skinny fat...

premed lifter
06-27-2007, 01:52 AM
first of all, you're slowing your metobolism.
secondly, once you put your body into survival mode, it tries to hold on to the food you eat (for future use).

when you dont feed your body enough, your body chooses your muscles over your fat as energy source. And you end up with no muscle mass and lotsa fat. aka, skinny fat...

this is true, but an 1800 cal diet for a 180 pounder isn't exactly starvation, either. Granted it is at the lower end of the spectrum for a cut, but its a reasonable number and I doubt his metabolic rate is plummiting as a result.

OP, how intense are your sessions? How long are they? Are you concentrating on compounds?

tmac1 4 lyfe
06-27-2007, 02:48 AM
well, its wierd my strengh is the same. i lift the same. my cardio sessions were usually intense, like 30 min on the staiclimber and 4-5 pick up games of basketball in a row. It doesnt seem like anything changed at all over the 3 weeks. scale didnt move either.

jcosley
06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
6 foot 180 lbs 14% body fat. iv been stuck at this weight for like 3 weeks. for 2 of the weeks i was doing cardio 3-4 days a week. the past week i went 6 out of 7 days.

I've been eating 1800 cals a day. the fat just will not ****ing leave i mean what am i doing wrong.

i also think my diet is pretty good. here is what i usually eat daily.

8:00 am- 2 packets instant oatmeal with skim milk- 400 cals
11:00 am- whole grain bread with turkey/chicken slices- 350 cals
2:00 pm- nitro tech protean bar- 300 cals
4:30 pm- whole grain bread with turkey/chicken- 350 cals
7:30 pm- tuna fish 1 can- 250 cals
10:00 pm- glass of milk- 150 cals

am i not eating enough? plz help i have no clue what im doing wrong.

Yeah you arent eating enough.. I think you should at least be within 2000-2200 range. Then just lift your butt off at the gym and do some cardio. Lifting will benefit you more then cardio.

jcosley
06-27-2007, 06:38 AM
well, its wierd my strengh is the same. i lift the same. my cardio sessions were usually intense, like 30 min on the staiclimber and 4-5 pick up games of basketball in a row. It doesnt seem like anything changed at all over the 3 weeks. scale didnt move either.

If your strength is staying the same...you really dont want that. Have you ever taken or thought about adding creatine to your cut/lifting routine? Works wonders for me...my lifting seems to go through the roof. Plus ...one thing i forgot is try dropping out the protein bars out of your diet...add either some food in its place or another protein shake(this is where you could add the creatine as well). Cheers!

RusnConcussion
06-27-2007, 07:00 AM
You should up your cals to ~2100/day. Get rid of the bread, and possibly switch instant oat packets to steel cut for a lower GI. Up your protein intake levels to 180+ grams a day, making calories from protein comprise about 50% of your daily caloric intake. I would suggest adding more protein to your breakfast as well, possibly switch to 1.5 serving of oatmeal and add 1/2 cup skim milk and a scoop of protein powder to it, it will have roughly the same amount of calories and will help you reach your protein intake requirements.

Also don't forget to take some protein supplement after your workouts, even if its cardio (just take ~30g protein and a piece of fruit for a cardio pwo) And you may want to take a scoop of protein powder (casein is preferable but not too necessary) before bed with some peanut butter to slow down absorbtion.

You didn't list any supps but you may want to consider the following if you aren't already taking them:
caffeine (boosts norepinepherine production which increases metabolic rate)
EGCG (or green/white tea)
Omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed/fish oil)
Multivitamin (definitely necessary if you're on a cut)

tts0lid
06-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Up your cals, and throw some sort of cheat / refeed day in there to reset your metabolism...

Then try switching up the cardio... maybe try HIIT.

And keep on lifting

tmac1 4 lyfe
06-27-2007, 04:34 PM
You should up your cals to ~2100/day. Get rid of the bread, and possibly switch instant oat packets to steel cut for a lower GI. Up your protein intake levels to 180+ grams a day, making calories from protein comprise about 50% of your daily caloric intake. I would suggest adding more protein to your breakfast as well, possibly switch to 1.5 serving of oatmeal and add 1/2 cup skim milk and a scoop of protein powder to it, it will have roughly the same amount of calories and will help you reach your protein intake requirements.

Also don't forget to take some protein supplement after your workouts, even if its cardio (just take ~30g protein and a piece of fruit for a cardio pwo) And you may want to take a scoop of protein powder (casein is preferable but not too necessary) before bed with some peanut butter to slow down absorbtion.

You didn't list any supps but you may want to consider the following if you aren't already taking them:
caffeine (boosts norepinepherine production which increases metabolic rate)
EGCG (or green/white tea)
Omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed/fish oil)
Multivitamin (definitely necessary if you're on a cut)

i'll start adding 1scoop of whey in the morning. i'll also switch up 2 the steel cut brand. also what should i replace the bread with?

reicherts78
06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
You seem to have plataeued...the others are right. I am on a cut also and not too different from your situation. But I have refused to go below 2100 cals/day. I just busted from my plataeu by adding HIIT twice a week, cutting WAY back on drinking (cause I drank a lot before on weekends), and have added about 5 lbs to every lift. I noticed you have a lot of carbs in there. Maybe cut those back, add more protein (I take in 180grams/day), and def eat 2000 or more cals a day. Good luck, you can do it.

Insanity247
06-27-2007, 06:30 PM
workout harder
up the cardio intensity, shorten the time
eat more clean foods

lamerced
06-27-2007, 07:57 PM

scale matters but you shouldnt care about it too much, you are aiming in reducing fat, so the best you can do is to measure your fat index each couple of weeks turn fat weight into muscle, you dont want to look like the olsen twins.

Concerning the food, yes i would definetely suggest upping your cals, and eating more fruits vegetables and LIQUID, more time troughout the day to increase your metabolism.

During your workout, run at a steady pace, like 7 (quite slow) on the running machine but each 3 minutes go intense for a minute then down again. That should help releasing your fat storages the same in any other cardio machine.

At last, dont forget to train your muscles, it is essential to loose fat, this includes legs aswell, sorry.

152_pilot
06-27-2007, 10:12 PM
You're eating too little and your body is holding on to the fat because of it.

kranked
06-27-2007, 11:23 PM
more protein and more calories, move those macros around to suit the workout and time of day as well.

Ricky_k
06-28-2007, 12:06 AM
You're eating too little and your body is holding on to the fat because of it.
is the rule, only go 400 - 500 below maintaince a day ?

EazyE15
06-28-2007, 01:18 AM
this is true, but an 1800 cal diet for a 180 pounder isn't exactly starvation, either. Granted it is at the lower end of the spectrum for a cut, but its a reasonable number and I doubt his metabolic rate is plummiting as a result.

OP, how intense are your sessions? How long are they? Are you concentrating on compounds?

Agreed.

tmac1 4 lyfe
07-05-2007, 03:32 PM
i gotta bump this. Its been a week of eating 2100 cals but same weight and same me. no difference. do i upp more or what?

Tussmann57
07-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Your current diet probably has 10% daily fat.

Bronkko
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
and when you up your cals initially dont expect to see weight loss in the first week.. let your body react to more fuel...then you should see progress.

i would have gone up to 2300 if i was you.

tmac1 4 lyfe
07-07-2007, 03:54 PM
and when you up your cals initially dont expect to see weight loss in the first week.. let your body react to more fuel...then you should see progress.

i would have gone up to 2300 if i was you.

yea past 2 days i read your post and have been eating 2300. but also when i eat the meals im not even hungry. should i still eat to get to 2300 cals? because when i eat when im not hungry i feel i wont lose fat.

SDC77
07-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Your diet has a lot of holes in it. Lose the crap, up your cals with clean food, and work hard in the gym.

tmac1 4 lyfe
07-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Your diet has a lot of holes in it. Lose the crap, up your cals with clean food, and work hard in the gym.

wow...crap what crap am i eating dude.