PDA

View Full Version : HIIT and a lot of spitting?

Ivey_Itch
09-28-2004, 05:44 AM
I did HIIT for the first time this morning.. (I loved it! Only did about 15-20 minutes) but anyway.. I was fine the first few minutes and then I started having to spit alot.. (sorry..gross I know) I'm coughing a little now, and i've been home for about 30 minutes! I don't smoke...and I've been doing cardio..just not as intense as HIIT.. is this normal? Is the wimpiness just leaving my body?? lol... I feel great though! I guess that's all that matters... Also one other thing.. I did it first thing this morning... and I know about the "fasted Cardio opinions" but.. does fasted cardio mean no water either? I have to have water.. I know they say don't eat or drink anything, but do they mean water too? Just out of curiousity! :) Ok.. .i'm done now! Have a great day!

MsFit
09-28-2004, 12:24 PM
You can have water before cardio.

You can have congested lungs if you have ever lived with someone who smokes. I grew up around smokers and it has affected me. Might try the product, Clear Lungs.

Emma-Leigh
09-28-2004, 04:15 PM
I did HIIT for the first time this morning.. (I loved it! Only did about 15-20 minutes) but anyway..
15 to 20 min of HIIT, for a first time, is excellent! You should not really be able to do much more than this anyway!

I was fine the first few minutes and then I started having to spit alot.. (sorry..gross I know) I'm coughing a little now, and i've been home for about 30 minutes! I don't smoke...and I've been doing cardio..just not as intense as HIIT.. is this normal? Is the wimpiness just leaving my body?? lol...
Hmm.. This is odd - saliva production usually decreases when you do hard cardio - due to an increase in sympathetic tone...

Was it cold? Could have been related to irritation of your respiratory tract by very cold air...

Also one other thing.. I did it first thing this morning... and I know about the "fasted Cardio opinions" but.. does fasted cardio mean no water either? I have to have water.. I know they say don't eat or drink anything, but do they mean water too? You can definately have water... But I am of the opinion that you should never do fasted cardio, unless it is low intensity and short (eg: 30 min of power walk).

You should DEFINATELY never do HIIT on an empty stomach - HIIT is high intensity. The aim is to but maximal effort in to get the maximal metabolic effect out of it. You can not do that without energy on board.

Also, as it is high intensity, the main fuel source for your body during that time is glucose - which it will manufacture from amino acids (protein) if you do not have enough energy in your body at that point in time... which is bad news if you are trying to build or maintain your muscle mass.

Ivey_Itch
09-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey! It couldn't be from being around smokers, because no one around me smokes or has ever smoked..so that rules that one out.. it was very cold though! It almost felt like i was coughing up flem..it had to be from the weather! I'll definately start having a protein drink before my HIIT from now on.. don't want to lose that muscle! Thanks a lot for the advice! I'm ready for more HIIT now! lol.. i can tell that it works aready! Haven't breathed like that since I used to play bball! lol :)