PDA

View Full Version : Post-workout shake...Success without it? Post your Experiences

jman14
06-26-2007, 11:15 AM
ok, i currently have a pwo shake comprised of carbs and protein, pretty much a standard (banana, oats, milk, whey). I have read the stickies, all the threads, and completely understand the science behind the pwo shake. ive been having good success with my shake(plus it's tasty).

ive seen many experienced members here however say that they have made their best and most lean gains on a bulk by sticking with p/c/f at every meal, disregarding the P+C or P+F meal theory (which i think is overrated), and just sipping on bcaa's and some carbs during their workout, and continuing with a hearty P/C/F meal about an hour later, altogether skipping the sweet treat of a shake.

I understand that "whatever works best for you" applies to this situation, but i was wondering about other's thoughts on this?

muscleman12345
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
right now im not taking one i go home and eat, but i did see my best results taking in protein right after workout

baarat
06-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Depends on the extend/degree you analyze nutrition, and because of this you'll never have an ideal/definative answer. Personally I believe in limiting/maximizing certain macro's at specific times.

BabyBodybuilder
06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
ok, i currently have a pwo shake comprised of carbs and protein, pretty much a standard (banana, oats, milk, whey). I have read the stickies, all the threads, and completely understand the science behind the pwo shake. ive been having good success with my shake(plus it's tasty).

ive seen many experienced members here however say that they have made their best and most lean gains on a bulk by sticking with p/c/f at every meal, disregarding the P+C or P+F meal theory (which i think is overrated), and just sipping on bcaa's and some carbs during their workout, and continuing with a hearty P/C/F meal about an hour later, altogether skipping the sweet treat of a shake.

I understand that "whatever works best for you" applies to this situation, but i was wondering about other's thoughts on this?

The PWO shake/meal has been proven an essential in any BB routine. Sure, you can just do FFAAs (Free Form Amino Acids) and Simple carbs (Sugars), but... wait.. what are you asking. Is it ok not to have shake, but instead have the exact same thing in the form of costly FFAAs and Carb supplements? I think you understand where I stand on the matter..

jman14
06-26-2007, 11:47 AM
i agrre and i agree in timing certain nutrients for maximized results. i still wanna hear if people have made really good gains the other way though. it seems that that way, (P/C/F all the time) insulin levels would stay more steady throughout the day (Being blunted by the fat in each meal), therefore probably less fat gain while on a bulk (good thing). then again also seems like less total gain, in not taking advantage of your muscles being primed for nutrient uptake right after a workout. i'm an advocate of spiking insulin at least two times a day (pwo and breakfast). other thoughts?

BabyBodybuilder
06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
i agrre and i agree in timing certain nutrients for maximized results. i still wanna hear if people have made really good gains the other way though. it seems that that way, (P/C/F all the time) insulin levels would stay more steady throughout the day (Being blunted by the fat in each meal), therefore probably less fat gain while on a bulk (good thing). then again also seems like less total gain, in not taking advantage of your muscles being primed for nutrient uptake right after a workout. i'm an advocate of spiking insulin at least two times a day (pwo and breakfast). other thoughts?

Fat won't "blunt" insulin release like your said, it will however slow down the digestion process so that the releases is steady and not spiked. You have to realize, you're still getting the same amount of carbs, just digested slower. That's why I stand by the "P+F n P+C" meal plans, because of two reasons.

1. Their's times of day, when the body doesn't have to release as much insulin as would be required because the cells are extra sensitive to it (Ex: Breakfast and PWO). Whereas, other times, more has to be released to produce the same effect, and thus making the cells "more" immune to its effects.

2. Constantly having insulin in the bloodstream throughout the day, due to the steady releases of the digestion of carbs mixed with fats. Causes the body to release less hGH (Human Growth Hormone)throughout the day, with in most people our age happens 6-12 times in the day in small bursts.

Hope this helps :D

jman14
06-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Fat won't "blunt" insulin release like your said, it will however slow down the digestion process so that the releases is steady and not spiked. You have to realize, you're still getting the same amount of carbs, just digested slower. That's why I stand by the "P+F n P+C" meal plans, because of two reasons.

1. Their's times of day, when the body doesn't have to release as much insulin as would be required because the cells are extra sensitive to it (Ex: Breakfast and PWO). Whereas, other times, more has to be released to produce the same effect, and thus making the cells "more" immune to its effects.

2. Constantly having insulin in the bloodstream throughout the day, due to the steady releases of the digestion of carbs mixed with fats. Causes the body to release less hGH (Human Growth Hormone)throughout the day, with in most people our age happens 6-12 times in the day in small bursts.

Hope this helps :D

ha, thanx for the info and the input. i didnt really have a question pertaining to myself (i'm sticking w/ my shake, it works for me) i was just wondering what experience others had had with the other approach at pwo nutrition.

also, i think that P/C/F meals would not make you have insulin constantly in the blood stream, as you said. i may be wrong but ive heard otheriwise.

then again, maybe you do have insulin constantly in your bloodstream just not at high levels, which would in fact interfere w/ the release of HGH.... gotcha

anybody w/ experience w/ the P/C/F approach?

muscleman12345
06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
down it! then go home and eat a huge meal

BabyBodybuilder
06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
ha, thanx for the info and the input. i didnt really have a question pertaining to myself (i'm sticking w/ my shake, it works for me) i was just wondering what experience others had had with the other approach at pwo nutrition.

Try to look at the ages from the people your getting the success stories from, and realize that most of them are on supplements that allow them not to follow the mondain regimen. You know, that 21< stuff.

jman14
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
bump

jfla32033
06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Ronnie Coleman drinks a postwork out shake.

and he eats grits.

so thats what i do.

I heard he juiced too. Maybe I should try that.

Just kidding about the juicing...but I think its safest for muscle recovery to keep the postworkout shake in there....then eat your meal an hour later once you arent full anymore from the PWO shake.

Personally, I workout at like 7 oclock so its 8:30 by the time I down my shake. I only have time for one more meal after this so I make my shake HUGE. I aim for 600 calories...45-50g protein (some fast digesting like whey and some slower like milk), and around 80-90 carbs (again some fast digesting like fruit and flavored oatmeal and some complex like plain oats)

Then at around 10:30 I have some ON casein protein or some cottage cheese if my sodium intake was low that day and some nuts (PB or almonds) before I go to bed at like 11.

I know alot of people may say that the big PWO shake isnt getting digested and that I'm pissing out some of the protein, but IMO this is effective because I have fast digesting and slow digesting carbs and protein in the shake.

Anyone think thats a bad idea?

jman14
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM

and he eats grits.

so thats what i do.

Just kidding about the juicing...but I think its safest for muscle recovery to keep the postworkout shake in there....then eat your meal an hour later once you arent full anymore from the PWO shake.

Personally, I workout at like 7 oclock so its 8:30 by the time I down my shake. I only have time for one more meal after this so I make my shake HUGE. I aim for 600 calories...45-50g protein (some fast digesting like whey and some slower like milk), and around 80-90 carbs (again some fast digesting like fruit and flavored oatmeal and some complex like plain oats)

Then at around 10:30 I have some ON casein protein or some cottage cheese if my sodium intake was low that day and some nuts (PB or almonds) before I go to bed at like 11.

I know alot of people may say that the big PWO shake isnt getting digested and that I'm pissing out some of the protein, but IMO this is effective because I have fast digesting and slow digesting carbs and protein in the shake.

i dont think it's a bad idea, just interesting haha. as long as your getting enough complex carbs/carbs to refill glycogen after your w/o i think it's fine. then some tasty cc and pb, hell yea. i'd be interested to hear about ur progress doing this.

still no one with experience of doing the P/C/F option?

by the way, i was always gonna keep my shake, i like it, i was just wondering what some other people were doing.

d2j
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM

and he eats grits.

so thats what i do.

Lately i havn't been having any shakes at all and i can definiatly say that eating chicken with a cooking sauce that is equal in calories after training has given me some big gains in the past 3 weeks.

jfla32033
06-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Lately i havn't been having any shakes at all and i can definiatly say that eating chicken with a cooking sauce that is equal in calories after training has given me some big gains in the past 3 weeks.

That's pretty sweet, but a major reason that most people make shakes is because they are more quickly prepared than a chicken dinner like the one you speak of and the idea is to get protein + carbs into your system ASAP.

I'm assuming you pre-make this meal? I would love to have that option but I just don't have time or the $$$ to eat a chicken dinner every night after training.

jfla32033
06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=jman14;54723191]i dont think it's a bad idea, just interesting haha. as long as your getting enough complex carbs/carbs to refill glycogen after your w/o i think it's fine. then some tasty cc and pb, hell yea. i'd be interested to hear about ur progress doing this.

QUOTE]

check back in a few months and I'll let you know my progress haha.

jman14
06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
QUOTE]

check back in a few months and I'll let you know my progress haha.[/QUOTE]

will do man haha

TheNewestGuy
06-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Unfortunately, my progress grinds to a halt if I don't get a PWO shake, even if I substitute a bar or something.

I'd say if there's anyway to have a shake, make sure you do it.

d2j
06-29-2007, 05:03 AM
That's pretty sweet, but a major reason that most people make shakes is because they are more quickly prepared than a chicken dinner like the one you speak of and the idea is to get protein + carbs into your system ASAP.

I'm assuming you pre-make this meal? I would love to have that option but I just don't have time or the $$$ to eat a chicken dinner every night after training.

It does cost alot to do this. I get pre cooked chicken, cashew nuts and a sauce from a Tesco supermarket. After training i drive home and heat it up which takes no longer than 3 mins.

I get roughly 30 - 40g protein, 60 carbs (35 simple), 10g fat

_BILAL_
06-29-2007, 05:06 AM
Bro a PWO shake is an EFFECTIVE addition to your BBing diet table. You can see dramatic results compared to a person whose not on it. The reason behind is after a workout your body is tired, just like YOU, when your tired and exhausted, you are thirsty and hungry, in the same way so are your muscles. They are thirsty and hungry for Protein and your body for carbs.

PWO is also a good addition because the amount of protein and carbs. you take in such a less frame of time is quicker and efficient than sitting down a finishing a meal which probably has less proteins and carbs.

Environ
06-29-2007, 05:09 AM
I don't know when I've had a post workout shake last. And, my strength training is going really well for me too. I'm improving every week. I honestly believe that real food is far better than supplemental food. I do use a whey protein powder, but for convenience more than necessity. I get home from work at 9.30 to 10 pm Monday to Friday and I'm not usually in the mood to cook, so I have a shake.

jman14
06-29-2007, 05:31 AM
haha, isn't it funny how some people still insist on telling me to have my pwo shake, and that it's important, when ive been saying that i'm gonna have it all along. I was just wondering bout other's experiences with it. some people got it, some people didn't.......o well :)

bradroche
06-29-2007, 06:22 AM
haha, isn't it funny how some people still insist on telling me to have my pwo shake, and that it's important, when ive been saying that i'm gonna have it all along. I was just wondering bout other's experiences with it. some people got it, some people didn't.......o well :)

lol...

I don't take a post workout shake right now. Im on the cut diet, which has me drink 1.5 scoops of whey and 6 scoops of extend DURING my workout and a P+F+veggie meal afterwards...

This is day 5 of the diet, I feel great but I have to say that after a tough workout monday, I felt sore the next day which doesnt often happen with me.

Keep in mind in on a calorie restriction and the makers of this diet say that it takes a couple of weeks to get used to. If i remember I'll try to let you know in a couple weeks how its going at that point.

I can't really comment on gains because, I won't be making any on ~2200 calories lol.

Blimp2Pimp
06-29-2007, 06:55 AM
lol...

I can't really comment on gains because, I won't be making any on ~2200 calories lol.

that's what you think :)

xtend has a very unique way of surprising you. Just wait, you'll see your strength go up.