PDA

View Full Version : track athlete needs diet help

sixpackby05
09-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Here are my stats. I am 5'5 and 135 lbs. I used to weigh 115 lbs but then I went on an anti-depressant and gained 20 lbs. I stopped taking it but now I cannot seem to lose the weight. I joined the track team in an effort to lose weight last week.

Activity level is as follows:
m: weights at 6:30am, track at 3pm
t: track at 3pm
w: weights at 6:30am, track at 3pm
th: track at 3pm
f: weights at 6:30am, track at 3pm

I need help determining the proper caloric intake so I can lose weight safely. I know you can only lose 1 or 2 lbs a week safely so I am not looking for a crash diet or anything. I also do not want to starve myself and pass out during track. I am a busy college student and need ideas that are not too pricey for food.

I was thinking a diet like the following would work:
m1 after weights: 0.5 cup of oats, 1 scoop of whey, 1 cup of berries

m2: don't know

m3: 1 cup of rice or 3/4 cup of beans, veggies, and meat like chicken or tuna

track

after track m4: veggies and meat

m5: veggies and meat

I also thought it was worth mentioning that I have the metabolism of a slug. That is why I want to join track and lift weights so perhaps I could raise it a little. Most people in my family have thyroid problems and are really overweight that is why I want to get in shape now and not keep gaining weight. I also want to be able to wear my clothes again. I have refused to buy new ones b/c I want to lose the weight and not get complacent. Please help me out. I went to a nutritionist and she told me to eat 12 servings of bread a day and that protein was bad for me and I know I would blow up if I followed her advice. Bread makes me gain weight. I just need some guidance so I can do this safely. I feel like crud about myself and that is not good. I am sick of people telling me I look like crap.

imperfectly_lou
09-26-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your weight gain, but I hope the anti-depressants have made you feel a little better.

About your diet - firstly, you must eat before you lift weights in the morning. Muscles require readily available glycogen to GROW!

The rest of your diet looks OK and it will just depend on how big those servings are I guess... (oh and make sure the rice is brown or basmati rice!). You also should add some healthy fats in there - some olive oil with your veggies, some PB in your oatmeal, nuts with a snack etc

As for calorie intake, due to all that training, you are going to have higher energy needs than most people. I would recommend you start with 1,800-2,000cals and see how you feel.

You might want to check out the journal section for some meal ideas :)

Ivey_Itch
09-26-2004, 08:40 PM
As a broke college students I know where your coming from.
I eat alot of boiled eggs and oatmeal. Cheap and great for you.

You can look under my journal entries under the journal forum if you'd like to see the basic meal plans I follow. Brown rice is a good choice also.. But i've really come to appreciate egg whites! they are so great.... omletes, boiled, scrambled with some hot sauce... in salads.. Canned tuna is good, portable and cheap as well. Don't neglect your good fats either.. I used to avoid fat like the plauge..but I've recently started doing a 40/30/30 40 protein, 30 fat, 30 carb ratio and I've been feeling really good. Walnuts and Natural PB are my main sources of good fat.. along with some olive oil. www.fitday.com is a good site to track your calories and see where your getting most of your calories from.. it's helped me out a lot!

Emma-Leigh
09-27-2004, 02:32 AM
I need help determining the proper caloric intake so I can lose weight safely. I know you can only lose 1 or 2 lbs a week safely so I am not looking for a crash diet or anything. I also do not want to starve myself and pass out during track. I am a busy college student and need ideas that are not too pricey for food.

No one can give you an exact calorie requirement for you - this you will have to work out through trial and error. However, what you need will depend on your lean mass, your activity levels and your genes.

You are very active so I would think that you will need a good quantity of food. You are also not 'massively' overweight, at 5'5 you should be aiming for a minimum of around the 120-125 pounds mark so at 135 pounds you only have a maximum of 10-15 pounds to loose.

You can either track what you are eating to maintain your weight, and then slowly start to decrease calories from there, or start at a rough figure of that you may need (guestimate about 2200 cals) and then work down from there.

I was thinking a diet like the following would work:
m1 after weights: 0.5 cup of oats, 1 scoop of whey, 1 cup of berries

m2: don't know

m3: 1 cup of rice or 3/4 cup of beans, veggies, and meat like chicken or tuna

track

after track m4: veggies and meat

m5: veggies and meat

I also thought it was worth mentioning that I have the metabolism of a slug. That is why I want to join track and lift weights so perhaps I could raise it a little.

Ok... The basic plan you layed out looks decent. A few suggestions:

1. As Lou suggested you NEED food before weight training in the morning. This is a general 'rule' whether you are trying to lean down or add mass, weights should never be done on an empty stomach. Some carbohydrates and some protein, 1 hr (if solid food) or 30 minutes (if it is 'liquid') is what you need for this - examples would be:
Oats and egg-whites
Banana and protein shake
Yoghurt and protein shake

2. Post workout meal looks great!

3. For meal 2 is there any restrictions you have to what you can eat? Are you in class etc? If not, then something like another serving of carbs (oats, legumes, sweet potato etc) and a serving of protein (cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, lean red meat, egg/eggwhites) + some vegetables would be all be good choices.

4. The next meal is great!

5. Post-track you might want to think about some carbs for recovery as well - depending on how strenuous your workouts are.

6. I would keep a lean meat/vege meal here, but chuck in some healthy fats as Lou suggested. Some walnuts, avocado, olive oil, fatty fish etc would be a good choice.

7. Lean meat and vegetables is another good choice. Add some fats here as well - they will help you loose weight at the end of the day. Cottage cheese would also be a good, cheap food option and it is a great choice pre-bed.

Weight training will definately help with your metabolism - as will track. Make sure you do not go crazy on the calorie restriction as that is the fasted way to kill your metabolism. Make sure you drink a ton of water and work on keeping your body as active as you can. They are the best things you can do.

bscrusher
09-27-2004, 04:53 PM
joining a college track team to lose weight is a weak idea.
is that really your only goal, to lose weight? how sad.

with all the time you CLAIM to be willing to put into this project you could accomplish so much more.
or you could lose weight by merely adjusting your diet. that way you won't waste so much of your valuable time and the valuable time of everyone else on the track team.

i think that "nutritionist" is full of it.

i have an idea for you, a worthwhile goal. since you are sick of people telling you that you "look like crap", why don't you decide on a goal of making yourself look and feel better. you could decide to make yourself more physically fit. this would make you look and feel much better i can guarantee.

don't try to do 8 workouts in 5 days. this will only lead to exhaustion and frustration. also it will eat into your study time. try 2 or 3 weightlifting sessions a week, 45 minutes max. that's what i did in college, i was in awesome shape and i had a 3.9.

do not measure your worth on a scale. look in the mirror. if you look 115 but you are really 125, who cares???? you can lie if you want and tell people you are 115.