PDA

View Full Version : Could PMS destroy my gains

joysoliel
09-26-2004, 01:52 PM
So I've really started evaluating and paying attention to my diet over the last month and looks like I've lost 4lbs. Ok its around that time of month and I think that I gained some weight...maybe because its "that time", I weighted yesterday was 138, then today - 140! What's the deal....does this also happen to anyone else. Also what can I do to stave off the pre-mentral CRAVINGS!!!!! Its like I'm being sent mad, any other days I'm fine but around that time....its like I am another person. I was going so well for the last month and don't want one day to do me in, I've already consumed some junk today and am worried that I'll be back to where I started last month. I'm also trying to lose the last 10lbs and it is an awful struggle....Does anyone experience the same things??!

kaylers
09-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey,

I know how you feel. I suffer from the brutality of cravings. I know what you mean by the 'different person syndrome'. I have endometriosis so my periods are from hell. But, some of the survival tactics I have used to help are making sure that I workout during this PMS period and during (helps with moods and overall attitude), eat properly (do not skip meals). Pre-making my meals is a daily thing, however by pre packing leaves less time needed to go grocery shopping or more time in the kitchen that might make me give in. I also take my vitamins. I have found that with increased MSM and calcium to about 1000-1500 mg helps a lot.
Also make sure that you have food with you when you crave something. Your body wants to eat, so eat something that is good for you. I also chug a lot of water during this period. Nursing a bottle of water will help nurse your cravings. If you crave chocolate like I do just have a piece of dark chocolate it will help.
I also began to keep track of moods and increased cravings on a calender. Eventually I have been able to pin-point 'Today, I will be cranky day'. This has helped with my relationship, because my boyfriend and I came up with some strategies to cope when I become over emotional. I don't think that PMS should be an excuse so I just take time to rest more and to relax.
I do not want to endorse anything at all of any product, but I will just take a hydroxicut to help with the cravings. It helps me stay on track when I'm in need.

Goodluck, I really understand. Let me know how it goes.

weanbean
09-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Hi,

During PMS I can gain an average fo 6 pounds! I am fairly short(so there is not a lot of room for it to go) and I can tell the difference in how my clothes fit etc. It used to drive me crazy and truely it still does, but I am trying to roll with the punches. Cravings are real bad: I want sweet, then salt, then sweet, and on and on. I swear I need to intall a salt lick!

As stated above, extra calcium is supposed to help with PMS symptoms, drinking water so your body does not feel the need to "hang on" to more, and keep moving!

W

joysoliel
09-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks so much you 2, I did up my calcium and took a b-12 today and that really helped. It's just that now I feel like I've gained back the 4lbs in one day! :) I'm sure it isn't so but it can be a lil depressing weathering the awful storm of craves and what seems like a wave of temporary insanity!!!!

Anima
10-02-2004, 11:55 AM
ooohhh, lol weanbean, that salt lick reference made me laff out loud.. I have the same fluctuating cravings too, so I learned to try to salt some melon up or have some beef jerky (home made) handy for my "moments of doubt and pain"..... yeah I gain and lose a lot from my periods, and my already volcanic nature goes supercritical... so beng able to find a craving killer or a treat I can have that wont mess me up did a lot for me. One thing that helped was getting an ice cream machine and making up some atificially sweetened fruit ices using whole fruit pulp and nonfat yoghurt... it was a sweetie that I could have that was not so bad for me and had the sinful feel to it.

Cant do that right now as my freezer is jammed with chicken LOL i I eat any more of it I swear I'll lay an egg!!!!

Anima

moody_weasel
10-03-2004, 04:16 AM
So I've really started evaluating and paying attention to my diet over the last month and looks like I've lost 4lbs. Ok its around that time of month and I think that I gained some weight...maybe because its "that time", I weighted yesterday was 138, then today - 140! What's the deal....does this also happen to anyone else.

Relax! What you're experiencing is quite normal.
Don't let it get to you.

Do you weigh yourself every day? If you do you should do it at the same time every time. Early in the morning is best. (you probably knew that already but just in case...)

A word of advice, don't judge yourself by the scale. It's about how your clothes fit and what you see in the mirror.

The number on the scale means nothing and there's really no need to weigh yourself every day. Once a week is plenty. Just don't weigh yourself after a day with a cheat meal or lots of starchy food. That's sometimes enough to throw off the number on your scale.

Blaney4
10-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Same thing happens to me. For about 4-6 days a month I weigh 4 more lbs then normal. Its mostly fluid retention. I also crave and eat more. Ignore the scale. I have found adding an extra cardio day that week, plus drinking more water and staying away from salt helps lower the number on the scale faster:)

joysoliel
10-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Hey guys thanks for the responses, makes me feel less like an alien for that one time of the month that I DREAD! Its like I am no longer me for about 4days...abducted by aliens, body snatched!!! But does any one know of something like hydroxycut or another appetite suppresant that one can take for this time!!! Good ness the spell has pass and I feel like me again!!!!