PDA

View Full Version : A really dumb ass question

pak
09-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Is there a difference between being fat and being flabby? I am 14 weeks into my first mass gaining cycle and it's driving me nuts. When I look in the mirror all I see is what my mind is telling me is fat hanging all over my butt and thighs, it's really undermining my efforts because I am constantly under eating to avoid any more fat gain, therefore screwing my muscle gains. Trainer says to keep on going with the mass gaining cycle, I say we stop and cut. I started this cycle out at a 130 pounds and 12% BF and I guess I should add that I am a 40 yoa female and 5' 9". My trainer did a body comp a couple of days ago and I am now at a 140 pounds and 14% BF. I manage to do OK eating for a week or so and then go into panic mode and start dropping my calories and carbs (and it's really pissing him off). I am really trying hard to stop it, but not sure how to. I know I can't live in both worlds of cutting and mass gaining at the same time. I am hoping that in time with more experience at mass gaining I will learn to relax and have some faith that it will be OK and it won't be this way forever. Correct me if I am wrong, but it's my understanding that as the LBM comes up, a person would end up looking leaner and firmer, even at the heavier weight.

God, do I have a lot to learn or what?

Gabrielle
09-26-2004, 10:26 AM
I started this cycle out at a 130 pounds and 12% BF and I guess I should add that I am a 40 yoa female and 5' 9". My trainer did a body comp a couple of days ago and I am now at a 140 pounds and 14% BF. I manage to do OK eating for a week or so and then go into panic mode and start dropping my calories and carbs (and it's really pissing him off).

God, do I have a lot to learn or what?

There is no way at 5'9", 140 and 14%bf, that fat is hanging off your body! Listen to your trainer~enjoy the calories and relax.
Yes, you can weigh lots more and look lots leaner~it is ALL ABOUT LBM!

We all have a lot to learn!

pak
09-26-2004, 05:30 PM
I try every day to relax about it. I guess it's just that anorexic mentality rearing its ugly head again and again. That idea that women are supposed to be small and all weigh 105 yadda yadda. I started getting interested in fitness in March of 03. After sitting around in an office for 6 years, getting fat and losing muscle mass hand over fist, I started doing the Atkins thing and doing some walking for exercise and have been hooked on working out ever since. I weighed 145 pounds at the time and my first body comp was 24% BF. My thigh measurement alone was 28 mm (makes me sick just thinking about it) it's now at 16 (better, but not where I want to be in the long run). Some times I just let my self get to focused on the scale weight and not the bigger picture of where I've come from, how far I've come and where it is I am going. At 140, I feel like I am right back where I started at and it scares me. I don't ever want to look and feel like that again. Even though I realize that's not reality, the mind games we play with ourselves sometimes, is a hard thing to over come. I swear it's harder to deal with then cravings for donuts (LOL).

Anyway, thanks for the response, it did make me feel better.