PDA

View Full Version : need some female help

freebsd
09-25-2004, 08:33 AM
hi, my wife decided that she wants to get lean and lose belly fat. Now, I just started lifting too so I wouldn't know what to tedo but to make her a meal plan. Do women workout like men? Are you women supposed to do aerobics everyday? She just wants to look leaner. Not fat. For now I'm making sure that she's eating healthy and doing some cardio.

Emma-Leigh
09-25-2004, 06:09 PM
hi, my wife decided that she wants to get lean and lose belly fat. Now, I just started lifting too so I wouldn't know what to tedo but to make her a meal plan. Do women workout like men? Are you women supposed to do aerobics everyday? She just wants to look leaner. Not fat. For now I'm making sure that she's eating healthy and doing some cardio.

To 'get lean' and loose fat she will have to do the same thing that everyone else who wants to 'get lean and loose fat' should do.

Make sure she is eating well - with a good balance of carbs, proteins and healthy fats.

Decrease calorie intake to slightly below her maintainence (by ~200 to 300 cals).

Increase her energy expenditure - via anaerobic activity (weights) and an appropriate increase in aerobic activity (cardio).

Yes, for her weights she should basically 'train like a man' (why don't we just call it 'train hard' ;) ). With weight training, only hard heavy lifting will create the type of metabolic demand that will help her shift bodyfat perminantly. This lifting will also tighten and develope her muscle mass - meaning that when she gets rid of the 'excess flab' she will LOVE what she has underneath! Increased muscle work and increased muscle mass will also mean that her overall metabolism will increase - so she will burn more calories everyday, all day. Very positive indeed.

Women are no more 's'posed to do aerobics everyday' than men. EVERYONE needs to be active - we all are designed to move around. That is not gender specific. This also does not need to be specific 'cardio training'. It can mean walking to the shops, taking the stairs, walking to work and cleaning the house. The more movement in everyday activity, the better.

For weight loss the amount of 'purpose' cardio she needs to do will vary on how active she is during the day (if she does a lot of 'movement' in her life already her cardio needs will decrease'), how much she wants to eat (if she doesn't want to be too strict on eating then she may need to be a little more active to compensate), how much she has to loose (more weight to loose, she may need more cardio) and how much she actually WANTS to do.

If she is starting from scratch then I suggest she start with 2 to 3 days of GOOD cardio in combination with a good weight training routine and a healthy diet.

If she has never done weights before then 2 days a week (eg: Mon, Thurs) of a full body, compound exercise routine is probably a good start. That way she can learn the basics and train her nerves and muscles without 'jumping in the deep end'. After a few weeks she could progress to more advanced training routines (eg: Rolling 3 days splits - upper/lower/upper/lower; Or 3 day splits of push/pull/legs).