PDA

View Full Version : Question about losing weight and putting on a little muscle.

BarretJC
09-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey I got a question, my aunt is looking to lose some fat and put on a little bit of muscle. I recommend just doing some light running, light weights and such. As I have never looked to lose weight i'm not sure if this is the right thing to exactly tell her so I told her I would ask around here.

Also, what kind of diet should she be looking at exactly? I'm assuming just a lower calorie/fat diet?

mjt12
09-24-2004, 06:26 AM
I am no expert but I think I can help you with this. First of all lifting light weights just isnt going to cut it, its pointless. To add muscle you need to lift heavier weights, I would suggest between 10-12 reps. Chose a weight heavy enough that the last rep is a struggle. In regards to cardio running is a great workout, however doing too much can hinder muscle gains and fat loss. I stick with High Intensity cardio. It's done for 15-20 minutes at a time and incorporates say a walking/ jogging pace with a running/sprinting pace in intervals. You can do a search on this site to find a program. In regards to eating. Your aunt should be eating 6 small meals a day 2-3 hours apart. This keeps the metabolism in high gear and helps to burn fat. Each meal should consist of a quality protein and complex carb. And she should also incorporate healthy fats (EFA'S) into her diet. Examples are flax oil, almonds, walnuts, natural peanut butter, almond butter. These fats actually help aid in weight loss. Have your aunt come to the site and search around. I know there is a great sticky in the female nutrition section for newbies. Thunderbunny has a list there with foods that can be eaten to aid in weight loss. I hope I could help. And good luck to your aunt