PDA

View Full Version : Question about rear delt rows

bluegirl
09-23-2004, 11:00 AM
I recently increased my barbell weight for rear delt rows (and bent-over rows), and am now concerned that I'm not doing them correctly.

With the lower weight, my form is good -- I can lift the barbell to my chest (or waist, for bent-over rows), but I can easily do 15-20 reps.

With the higher weight, however, I can do my preferred 6-10 reps, but cannot lift the bar all the way to my chest. For rear delt rows, I know that my elbows aren't getting past my shoulders like the little animated dude on Exrx.net shows.

My question is whether this really matters? I have a hard time feeling rear delt and back exercises the next day, so I can't really tell if I'm working them correctly. Argh!

Also, I've noticed that I get a tinge in my middle trapezius the day after doing these rows. Could this be an indication that my form is incorrect?

Thanks for any advice!

fitfortE
09-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Form is important! and maybe you could mix your weights doing some intial sets with the increased weight to really challenge the muscles and then when their partly exhausted go on to do sets with your old weight to get the full range of motion and then in time the 40:60 ratio of working should move more to 80:20, eventually reaching full performance with your increased weight.

As you know recruitment of the muscle is key and can be lost when the weight is too much - from my experince, I've also found that slowing down the movement can help really recruit the muscles and stimulate them to grow. Don't be in too big a hurry to go up in weight - stay focused on exhausting the muscle.

PS I've been there where you get caught between two weights - one under challenging and one a bit hard to perform with.

Good luck!

Defiant1
09-25-2004, 01:35 PM
I recently increased my barbell weight for rear delt rows (and bent-over rows), and am now concerned that I'm not doing them correctly.

With the lower weight, my form is good -- I can lift the barbell to my chest (or waist, for bent-over rows), but I can easily do 15-20 reps.

With the higher weight, however, I can do my preferred 6-10 reps, but cannot lift the bar all the way to my chest. For rear delt rows, I know that my elbows aren't getting past my shoulders like the little animated dude on Exrx.net shows.

My question is whether this really matters? I have a hard time feeling rear delt and back exercises the next day, so I can't really tell if I'm working them correctly. Argh!

Also, I've noticed that I get a tinge in my middle trapezius the day after doing these rows. Could this be an indication that my form is incorrect?

Thanks for any advice!

Depending on how much weight you are using, the weight increase may be a high percentage increase causing your problems.

Many people, even advanced trainers, have a difficult time feeling their back because of weak "innervation" or nerve force to the area.

Try using the lighter weight, but HOLDING the contracted position for a 2 count. This will improve your innervation and also make you "feel" the exercise more.

A "secret" of bodybuilding is that the weight is really a means to an end not the end itself. Feel and form are very important. If you are not feeling the exercise where you want then it is not working what you want.

By the way, props to knowing rowing to your chest works your upper back and rowing to your waist works your lats!!

bluegirl
09-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the responses! Tomorrow is another "back" day, so I'll try doing the lighter weights (and holding it for an extra count) for at least the first two sets. :D