PDA

View Full Version : Balancing cardio with weight training?

dana82
09-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Does the balance between cardio and weight training lower ones bf%? Why is one not supposed to do cardio everyday? Can someone explain why its better to do cardio one day, weight training one day?

Emma-Leigh
09-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Does the balance between cardio and weight training lower ones bf%? Why is one not supposed to do cardio everyday? Can someone explain why its better to do cardio one day, weight training one day?
Lower BF% is not all that is important - You can be 'shredded' but have no lean muscle mass at all so you just look skeletal (think long distance runners)... This is why the balance between weights and cardio is important in maintaining a healthy muscle mass in the face of lower BF%.

The reason why too much cardio is a bad thing is because it makes maintaining lean muscle that much harder. It also increases cortisol levels (which decreases your immune system, decreases your metabolism and generally makes your body unhealthy). Cardio everyday in addition to HEAVY weight training will increase your the risk of overtraining and make your workouts less effective - making it harder to maintain a lower BF%.

Most people alternate cardio/weights so they can workout through the week/on a near daily basis, while still allowing their bodies to recover from weight training. Personally, I don't see it COMPLETELY nessessary to seperate cardio and weights. Just as long as your weight training is correctly fueled, your cardio sessions are not effecting your weught training negatively and you are allowing your body to recover appropriately (food/rest wise).

fitfortE
09-25-2004, 10:03 AM
I agree - as long as your diet is healthy, regular and you don't allow your body to fall into deficit at any point in the day I think you can balance both.

I would advice - if you do it in the same sessions - that you always do the cardio last so you don't empty your muscle of glycogen and then expect them to lift heavy weights, AND always refuel immediately after your workout!

dana82
09-25-2004, 11:40 AM
When you look at certain people, and they have a curvy yet fit shape, do you think they go more with the weights, or with the cardio?

bscrusher
09-25-2004, 12:28 PM
bump emma and fit,

here is the important thing. the balance of lifting and cardio is wholly dependant on your goals and your recovery ability.

you can do lifting and cardio in one session as fit wrote, but if you don't want to lose muscle you had better keep the entire session under 45 minutes.

if your goal is gaining muscle mass or strength you may dispense with the cardio altogether.

the level of curvy and fit appearance a person's body has is mainly due to genetics. that said, almost anyone can make a dramatic improvement in this area with correct diet and excercise.

dana82
09-25-2004, 01:38 PM
I eat pretty clean, and I work out a lot (more on the light weight side) I do 40-60 minutes of cardio plus one hour and 30 minutes of weight training on weight training days. I am at the gym a lot. I just don't think when you look at me you are like "wow, she must workout", but I don't want to look like "wow she could kick my ass."
I have noticed the more the weight I drop, the more fit I look. Right now I am 124, when I am at around 116 you can see more muscle definition. Is this same look achievable for me @ 124? My bf% right now is between 21-22.
Thanks!

bscrusher
09-25-2004, 04:54 PM
if your only goal is to have a "wow she must workout" physique, this can be done very quickly. do a muscle mass gaining program, two lifting sessions a week, each 45 minutes long. when you reach the level of muscle mass that gives you the hard "fit" curves you feel you want, start increasing the time of rest periods between sets. you will have to reduce sets and/or reps per set as well. don't lift to muscle failure. this will take the FATIGUE factor out of your lifting and your muscle mass will stop growing.

you can however, increase the weights you use and this increase in TENSION will continue to improve your strength and definition.

cardio will only slow down your progress toward your original goal of fit
curves.

you can look "wow she must workout" at any body weight.

you know what? you need to actually read the answers people post for you. i believe several people have mentioned to you the well known fact that working out for more than 45 minutes at a time is counter-productive, and here you are writing that you are doing 60 to 90 minutes of lifting and 40 to 60 minutes of cardio on the same day. do you realise that the only thing you will accomplish is exhausting yourself? what happened to your strongman trainer? i think you probably have ADD or some similar affliction that keeps you from being able to think or act sensibly. i am posting on your threads not because i think it will do you any good, but because you write good questions, and other people can learn from the dialogue the questions generate.

dana82
09-25-2004, 05:10 PM
ooooooooook? There is really no need to get nasty. You have no right to make any judgement from a few posts? I have only even been posting here for about 2- 3 weeks.
I am gathering all the information I can before I change my routine. The reason I haven't changed it yet is because I have been getting mixed opinions.

bscrusher
09-28-2004, 04:39 PM
the "judgement" i have made in my last post makes total sense after reading all of yours.

you are now caught in a trap that ensnares many beginners, sometimes for years. the trap is, you keep gathering and cross referencing and debating all kinds of information so much that you never actually do any excercise.

ten minutes of instruction will get a person going. in 8 weeks maybe 20 more minutes of instruction can keep that person making progress for the next 3 months. people make getting fit much more complicated than it really is. those who make money in the fitness industry tend to encourage this mass of confusion and misinformation.

you can work out sensibly while you are doing research. if you doubt the competence of people on this forum ( i do quite often ) go straight to the scientifc studies and read those. but keep lifting while you are doing that.
when you start getting it right you will see results immediately and consistently.

start with a very simple, dirt simple program that is low volume and for sure not overtraining. as you learn, modify this program to match your goals and knowledge.

someday
09-28-2004, 07:28 PM
ooooooooook? There is really no need to get nasty. You have no right to make any judgement from a few posts? I have only even been posting here for about 2- 3 weeks.
I am gathering all the information I can before I change my routine. The reason I haven't changed it yet is because I have been getting mixed opinions.

before i decided to take my training to the next level and compete i started out like you, gathering as much info as i could. once i decided to compete best advise i ever got was..............find someone to train you and listen only to that person. if having a great body was easy every one would do it and look great. it is a little different for everyone and there is no magic potion that will do the trick. good luck!

ChocoChick
09-29-2004, 07:13 AM
you will have to reduce sets and/or reps per set as well. don't lift to muscle failure. this will take the FATIGUE factor out of your lifting and your muscle mass will stop growing.

you can however, increase the weights you use and this increase in TENSION will continue to improve your strength and definition.

Can you elaborate on the above? Are you saying that heavier weights with fewer reps (few enough not to go to muscle failure) will build strength and definition ("tone"?) without adding mass? What rep range are you referring to?

mjt12
09-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Maybe you should look into the Body for Life program. It's great for beginners and can answer a lot of your questions.

bscrusher
09-29-2004, 06:27 PM
dbfl, the key to gaining strength and definition without mass is high tension, which is caused by lifting very heavy weights, and lack of fatigue, which is facilitated by long rest periods between sets. the reps must be low in order to lift heavy weights safely, try 1-3 reps per set.

pocke_change
09-29-2004, 07:36 PM
may i say... i've learned a hell of a lot just in reading this thread.... thanks to all for the great information.... I'm 33 y.o... and have gained so much weight (as a result of nothing more than shear neglegance of my body) that I'm disgusted with myself.... there is so much info out there that it can get overwhelming as well as frustrating.... but reading good, solid info like this puts some hope and perspective into getting fit...

thanks,
Penny from Kansas

dana82
09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone I got alot of info out of this as well. I basically have been lifing using (for example) on my arms around 8 lbs, 3/12, legs 20 lbs 3/12. I am not getting the results I want ( lookwise).....so bcrusher do you think it would be better for me to lift say 20 lbs (for arms, up from 12) in a set of 3 and say 35 lbs in a set of 3 (for legs) very slowly?
I will definetley go take a look at body for life. I am good at sticking to something if I have a set and direct plan, I just do it. So basically I dont' have a problem sticking to my workout, its just finding one that is going to give me the results I want.
PS I haven't gone back to the tire trainer guy.

bscrusher
09-30-2004, 05:38 PM
so dana, you just want the "wow she must workout" physique.

follow the directions i posted for you on this thread. a very effective muscle mass program looks like this.

use only freeweights.

do a few compound movements such as squats, deadlifts and bench press.

do only 2 or 3 weightlifting sessions per week.

do no cardio

do no direct ab work

do only 2 or 3 excercises per workout.

there are two philosophies on the most effective way to gain muscle mass. these are outlined by me in a thread entitled, shoulders - what did i do? posted by dbflgirl. also check out the routine i wrote up in a thread entitled, split vs fbody - myths or not!? posted by tango 650.

M Calavera
10-01-2004, 03:43 AM
A huge thank you to bscrusher... I have learnt so much from your post alone. You sound like you know what you're talking about - I'm now gonna alter my routine at the gym. Thanks v. much.

Emoore
10-01-2004, 06:20 AM
BS Crusher, will this program work for someone who has fat she needs to lose? NO CARDIO??? (This sounds too good to be true.)

bscrusher
10-01-2004, 09:24 PM
your welcome m. calavera.

emoore, if by "this program" you mean the strength only program, the answer is yes, it will work for your friend who wants to lose some fat. that said, a muscle mass building program like the one i have posted, will work much faster. cardio will only slow down the process.

on the strength program the lifter can workout every other day. on the mass program, workout every third day.

if a person did say, two strength (or muscle mass) workouts and one HIIT session a week, i would say that is a pretty good program also.

remember for fat loss the diet is key. the amount of food, the type and the timing are very important. a lot of people eat too little when trying to lose fat and end up really messing up their metabolism.

Tattoogirl4
10-01-2004, 11:08 PM
You seem very educated about weight/cardio. I am trying to build as much muscle as possible without putting on much bodyfat(in hopes of doing a show in a year or two). I am weight training two muscle groups a day, 5 days a week with 3-6, 30-45 min. cardio sessions(to put is simply.) It seems to be working for me so far. I will post my whole training program in that forum in a bit. I'd like you advice. Thanks

egoatdoor
10-02-2004, 04:46 PM
I just don't think when you look at me you are like "wow, she must workout", but I don't want to look like "wow she could kick my ass."

I'm a little late to this party and I have not read all of the replies here in depth, but I want to say that you can get the "wow she must work out" figure without fear of the "she could kick my ass" look by lifting relatively weights that challenge your body and take you to muscle failure. Unless they are taking drugs or other anabolic assistors, women do not have the testosterone levels of men that will create a bulky "masculine" physique.

trnurbdy48
10-04-2004, 05:54 AM
[QUOTE=Emma-Leigh]
The reason why too much cardio is a bad thing is because it makes maintaining lean muscle that much harder. It also increases cortisol levels (which decreases your immune system, decreases your metabolism and generally makes your body unhealthy). Cardio everyday in addition to HEAVY weight training will increase your the risk of overtraining and make your workouts less effective - making it harder to maintain a lower BF%.

So well said!

dana82
10-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone for all of your replies! I'm excited to start my new program.

bscrusher
10-12-2004, 12:37 PM
bump edoor and trnur.

tattoo, i will be interested to see your program and stats. i suggest you check out the two threads i pointed out to dana. the program you are on right now is "working" because you either are a brand new beginner, or you have very rare genetics. in either case the muscle mass program i am outlining will be much more effective.

miss nguyen
10-15-2004, 10:27 PM
bump edoor and trnur.

tattoo, i will be interested to see your program and stats. i suggest you check out the two threads i pointed out to dana. the program you are on right now is "working" because you either are a brand new beginner, or you have very rare genetics. in either case the muscle mass program i am outlining will be much more effective.

bump