PDA

View Full Version : Depressed

jupiterecho
09-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi all - well I am in tears right now and need your advice. I have been working my butt off and my contest is Oct 2 - but I just found out there are NO other Novice women - so I am just so down - if I do this show I won't feel like I earned anything - I want to compete against SOMEONE - I am ready to CRY! There are no other natural shows in Tx until the 23rd - I am fine to do it but the thought of waiting this out another 4 weeks - God - I am very tired and was so excited to be so close. Please someone throw me some advice. I look better than I have ever looked and I am just so depressed about this!

Thanks guys!

EME
09-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey jupiterecho,

Remember that bodybuilding is all about getting in your personal best condition. It really doesn't matter who else is on stage with you, all you can do is prepare and be your best.

Don't let the number of people who do, or don't show up influence how you feel about your preparation and performance.

I've been in shows where I know I was my personal best, but there were even better people in my class and I didn't place as well as I'd hoped. But, I didn't let it deter me or get me down.

I've also been in shows where I was my personal best, but I was one of only one or two in my class...like your current situation. You wish there were more people there so you could beat them.. but you can't control who else shows up.

Remember, the real accomplishment is not how you place, but the condition you achieve for the show. Placings are subjective, but YOU know how well you prepared and the progress you achieved.

Get some great pictures taken while you are in your peak condition. You'll always have those to look back on.

No matter how many people show up, have fun and it will be worth it.

One final note, I stopped checking how many people were in my class ahead of time a long time ago to prevent these very feelings. I prepare like there will be 15 people in my class for every show, and I don't want to know the actual number until the weigh in meeting.

Good luck and have fun! You've worked hard for it.

- EME

jupiterecho
09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Thank you so much! That has made my day - I have worked so bloody hard and my goal was to work harder than the year before, look better, have more definition and just see improvements and I have seen those and I know I have done my best. Thank you thank you thank you for the response!

fitormiss
09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi
I'm in Central Texas. I didn't know there was a show on the 2nd, I would have done it with you. Are you doing the one Nov 23rd in dallas (or Austin, I forget where)?
I'm thinking about doing it. I know it's not very far away, but I started dieting down a few weeks ago, just to for fun (doesn't that sound crazy???) I'm going to be 30 on Christmas and have never competed, so I just wanted to be competition ready as a birthday present to myself. let me know if you want to talk ever....

jupiterecho
09-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Hello in Central Tx - I am in Austin! The Houston show is the Oct 2 - and then there is a San Antonio show on Oct 23rd that I am doing. I didn't know about the Nov one - don't know if I can hang til then but I was just telling my husband I wish there was a show in Dallas so I could see my family while I'm there.
Well, competing would be a heck of a way to bring in your 30's! Go for it!!!

fitormiss
09-22-2004, 07:42 PM
I know there's a show coming up in Dallas, sometime in Nov.
I'm on Ft.Hood, my husband is deployed to Iraq right now..so I'm taking my frustrations out at the gym :-)
I teach Pilates and a bunch of other stuff. I'm relatively new to serious weightlifting though. I'm battling the food right now, trying to find the right balance for losing some BF. It sucks.
Would be nice to have someone to commiserate with.....

Signe
09-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Hey - I'm in Houston! Where is your show? I'd love to go and lend some support to a fellow forumer (is that a word?).

jupiterecho
09-23-2004, 07:43 AM
FitorMiss - my best wishes and thoughts go to you and your husband - I would be in the gym with all my frustrations as well! I hear you on the diet - I am at that point where stuff on tv that I would NEVER dream of eating (like Sonic Philly Cheese Toast - yukk!) makes my MOUTH WATER!!!! And I get jeleous of cute little kids carrying their bakery donuts around the grocery store while I am trudging around with my 50 pounds of chicken breast and broccoli - ha! But after I went on stage the first time a year ago was it ever WORTH it - I had so much fun. I had a good think last night and I am definitely going to this show like there are 50 competitors - I am going to BRING IT, learn more lessons, and go back to the drawing board - prepare for the San Antonio on the 23rd:)

SIGNE - The Houston show is being held Oct 2 at East Harris County Activity Center:
7340 Spencer Highway, Pasadena TX
Pre-Judge starts at 12:00 Noon, Night Show is at 6pm
It's the NGA Texas Natural - was SO fun last year - a really nice supportive group of people - come on down and see it!!!

EME
09-23-2004, 08:20 AM
That's a great attitude Jupiterecho!

Good luck with both your shows!
No matter how many people are on stage, blow the audience and the judges away!

I'm considering doing the NGA Oklahoma next year, so I'm interested in seeing pictures from your NGA Texas show. I haven't competed in the NGA yet.
The NGA Texas should be a good representation of the better competitors in the NGA. Texas has a really strong bodybuilding community.

We will be in Dallas for the NPC Nationals on Nov. 19-20th where my wife is competing. So, if your up that way, come check her out. The Nationals should be awesome!

Once again, good luck!

- EME

jupiterecho
09-23-2004, 11:47 AM
EME - will keep the NPC in mind - WOW! I saw pics of your wife - you must be SO PROUD!!! She'll rock in Dallas of course! I think it's so cool to see couples doing this work together - my husband is my soft place to fall and amazingingly supportive.
The men in last year's NGA were great and there were a LOT! I think the Houston next week will have 30-35 men this time. You may want to check out pics from Texas Shredder as well (www.hydeparkgym.com) - May was a GREAT show and I think quite a few of those guys are both INBF and NGA.
Thanks for the support and encouragement from everyone!

fitormiss
09-23-2004, 12:07 PM
The most difficult part of eating, for me, is dinnertime with my children. We sit at the table together every single night. I don't want to cook 2 different dinners, so if I make steak fajitas, I only eat the steak and the veggies. They of course get the tortillas and the sour cream and all the stuff that makes it good! It kills me!! I smile and choke down yet another serving of cottage cheese while they happily munch on refried beans and spanish rice. ARGH! I have actually had visions of reaching across the table and snatching the food straight from their hands.

I've managed to get my food ratios where I want them, as far as protein/carb/fat intake per meal. My calorie intake is only about 1500 per day though. I'm wondering if that's too low, or just right, or.... I'm starting to think I need a degree in nutrition just to figure out what to have for lunch. Like most everyone I rely on whites, tuna, chicken, steak, oats, veggies and cottage cheese. Somedays I feel like I'd be willing to commit a felony for a chocolate glazed creme filled Krispy kreme donut. I eat so much freakin chicken I think I clucked in my sleep last night.

Most of my female friends are pretty out of shape, eat all they want and think I'm crazy for doing what I do. It gets really frustrating when nobody understands the "why". The feeling you get when you push up that extra 10 lbs at the gym. Or looking in the mirror and realizing your triceps look WAY better than the dude standing next to you. I don't feel like I'm punishing myself by living like I do, I feel like it's a reward for hard work. Without a good support system, and understanding friends, it get's kind of difficult to keep going though. It would be nice to complain to someone that you had an off day at the gym, and they actually understand what you mean.
I've always had my husband as my workout partner, so now I'm acclimating to being alone in, and out, of the gym. Thankfully, I found this forum, so now I feel like theres a little bit of support there.

Anyways, enough of my whining...lol...I guess I needed to vent a little. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

EME
09-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks Jupiterecho for the info and the links.

Yes, with my wife Kendra and I it's definitely a team effort.
It sure makes the dieting and training a lot easier when we are both doing it together. Even when we have shows at different times, at least we both know what the other is experiencing during the contest prep.

Yes, I am VERY proud of Kendra. I do all her nutrition and training programs so I feel like a little bit of me is up there on stage with her too, but she is the one who really gets it all done. We had a blast at the Junior Nationals in Chicago this year and we're really looking forward to the Nationals. ( IFBB Pro qualifier to the top 2 in each height class! ) I'll have lots of pics posted as soon as possible after the show.

I'll definitely check out the links you sent. I've only competed in the NPC but I'm looking forward to also competing the natural organizations where the playing field is more level for those of us who aren't chemically enhanced. :-)

I'm sure you'll do great at your shows! Be sure to post pics!
Good luck.

- EME

EME
09-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey FitorMiss,

You've definitely come to the right place. We all certainly understand what you feeling and talking about. Even though I'm not female, I often try to help out in this forum where applicable since I'm so involved in my wife's training.

Welcome! .. and please let me know if I can help in any way.

- EME