PDA

View Full Version : how to prepare 4 fasting

theshiz
09-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Im having a medical procedure done that will require me to fast 4 24 hours after the procedure,clear liquids only.What should i eat the day b4 to preserve muscle or will it not matter i can eat until wed at midnight.not again until friday morn.Ive been cutting for a while and am starting to see abs,but i dont wanna disappear. 6'3 190 lbs

Azzazzin
09-22-2004, 07:29 AM
GREAT QUESTION!!!!!!

I was wondering the exact same. The Jewish holiday Yom Kippur is comming up this Friday, and as a Jew, I am required to fast from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night.

So what do I do?!?!

AR4CE
09-22-2004, 11:43 AM
A day won't kill ya- I fast every once in a while just to clear out my system- somtimes I'll have clear gatorade all day- that helps with electrolytes and some energy. To be honest, I would eat normally until the day, and in the case of Yom Kippur, have Cottage cheese or chicken in the morning b4 sunup (I beleive thats the rule), just to fuel the body a bit. Like I said, 1 day aint gonna hurt too bad. Just go back to normal the next day.

Zorro274
09-22-2004, 12:27 PM
I fast on that holiday too....when i break the fast on saturday nite after a whole day of not eating, should I eat extra or keep the size to a normal meal?

MagicPunt
09-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Eat a little bit extra throughout the next day and make sure too have tons of skim milk, lowfat cottage cheese, oats, wholegrain bread, etc... at the last minute possible

packetman
09-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I did a 5 day fast on water only. I prepared this way. A week or so before I wanted to start my fast, I cut out caffene and as much sugar as I could before I started. This way I wouldn't crash to hard.

I was hungry for the first couple of days but after that it wasn't so bad. The only real problem that I had was that I was always cold. I read a couple of books on this. A single day or 2 day fast requires nothing special, but once you get to 3 days or higher, you have to be careful about how you put food back into your system.

uhockey
09-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Do it like a polish catholic before Ash Wedneday........paczkis. :)

LiL USMC BBer
09-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm jewish and I'm not fasting..

last year I stayed with a friend for a day bought there house food and ate..

this year I don't live with my parents any more so I don't have to follow that rule..

Danz
09-22-2004, 02:33 PM
My advice to you would be for you eat to absolutley everything but the kitcken sink - and then eat the ktchen sink as well. Do this the day before, because if you don't, come the following day you will be STARVING and in a catabolic state. You might as well take advantage of the situation. ;)

saw14
09-22-2004, 05:31 PM
agreed with eating a ton, i dont know if its really going to matter if you dont eat for a day or not but if you had to prolong the experience definately be a glutton. how much muscle can you really lose by not eating in a day... .25lb-.5lb tops maybe, you should be fine. but like i said if it was a longer fast, i be going to hell for the sin of gluttony after my day before fasting. i would eat oats by the bag, yams, brown rice, bread, etc for carbs in mass. tons of meats, eggs and other protein sources. then my final meal would be a jar of pb and at least two tubs of cc. know thats in a perfect world that i could consume all that, but it would be fun trying nonetheless.

Diab0lic
09-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Im having a medical procedure done that will require me to fast 4 24 hours after the procedure,clear liquids only.What should i eat the day b4 to preserve muscle or will it not matter i can eat until wed at midnight.not again until friday morn.Ive been cutting for a while and am starting to see abs,but i dont wanna disappear. 6'3 190 lbs

Eat heaps the day before you fast!!
You,ll be able to drink sugary water, etc on your fast day just nothing solid. If your going under anaesthesia, there is a chance of vomiting and aspirating (inhaling) the vomit. This can possibly kill you and cause other problems such as infections, etc. Thats why they tell you not to eat.

Its only one day, so hit the gatorade, etc. But not too excessively of course

Also try and rest, even sleep on your fast day so you dont get hunger pains too bad.

Azzazzin
09-22-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm jewish and I'm not fasting..

last year I stayed with a friend for a day bought there house food and ate..

this year I don't live with my parents any more so I don't have to follow that rule..

Poser

Thudd
09-22-2004, 08:19 PM
I'd also say not to work out a for a few days before. Let your body recover 100% so that it's not looking for nutrients that won't be there to repair itself.

astabooty
09-22-2004, 09:52 PM
i've fasted before for yon kippur, i say dont do anything special.

the best thing imo is to stay busy. i know you arent doing it for religious reasons, but it is a lot easier to fast in temple than in the home.

orange crush
09-23-2004, 03:57 AM
I'm fasting since i was 12 yo,
Last year was the easiest fast, drink more than a gallon in the day of the fast (it's start in israel about 5 pm) and take psyllium.
In this fast i'll do the same and i'll take flax oil and olive oil.

Anyway have an easy fast