PDA

View Full Version : Is fruit really a no-no?

Anima
09-22-2004, 07:04 AM
I am trying to re-vamp my diet but I love fruit. I find it REALLY hard to give up, let's say, grapes, especially at work where eating is sometimes difficult or not allowed.

Is fruit, in small portions, going to be bad for a muscle building diet?

I am really trying to get my head around the low carb diet but am I only allowed carbs from thins like sweet potato and grains, or are fruits OK too? I am confused to be honest...... can anyone shed light on this?

Ivey_Itch
09-22-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm no expert, but i've heard if your going to eat fruit berries are best. I occassionally have an apple, but usually i have about 1 cup of berries a day, and i usually consume them before lunch. I can't live without my berries! :)

Emma-Leigh
09-22-2004, 03:46 PM
I am trying to re-vamp my diet but I love fruit. I find it REALLY hard to give up, let's say, grapes, especially at work where eating is sometimes difficult or not allowed.

Is fruit, in small portions, going to be bad for a muscle building diet?

I am really trying to get my head around the low carb diet but am I only allowed carbs from thins like sweet potato and grains, or are fruits OK too? I am confused to be honest...... can anyone shed light on this?
There is nothing wrong with fruit, it SHOULD BE (and is essential) a part of a healthy diet and there is NO REASON you should drop it.

In terms of contest preperation - Yes, some people drop it from the last few weeks but others eat it right up to competition - it is all a matter of personal preference. Personally, I have cut to very low BF% eating 1 to 2 servings of fruit a day. It didn't make a damn bit of difference and, I feel, it actually HELPED.

Fruit is packed full of vitamins, minerals, fibre, anti-oxidants, phytochemicals, water and many other wonderful things.

In weight loss diet they help keep your body and brain 'fed' which helps your metabolism stay active and helps your blood sugars remain constant (they DO NOT and WILL NOT spike insulin - they have both low Glycaemic index values AND low Insulin Index Values).

They WILL NOT cause 'fat accumulation' due to filling liver glycogen stores - you need a crap-load of fruit before you will go CLOSE to filling liver glycogen stores and even MORE before you get any substantial de-novo lipogenesis (you need to eat MASSIVE amounts of carbohydrates - in the order of hundreds of grams, before you get this occuring to any significal degree).

They help you RECOVER from strenuous exercise as they have great anti-oxidant properties (esp berries), can help restore electrolytes (eg: Banana's are a great source of potassium), can help restore blood/whole body glucose (which is a problem after exercise, as your muscles suck all the glucose from your blood and this leaves nothing for your brain/body - which causes all sorts of metabolic stresses) and WILL help restore muscle glycogen to a certain degree (esp the higher glucose fruits like grapes, banana's and pineapples).

Eat up.

IronStoner
09-22-2004, 05:38 PM
(you need to eat MASSIVE amounts of carbohydrates - in the order of hundreds of grams, before you get this occuring to any significal degree).

i eat 300 grams of carbs a day and I havent "got this occuring to any significal degree"

and most people eat more than 300

Emma-Leigh
09-22-2004, 08:57 PM
i eat 300 grams of carbs a day and I havent "got this occuring to any significal degree"

and most people eat more than 300
... And you are also obviously not a 120 pound female. :rolleyes:

But you just proved my point - I am saying that even levels of over 500-700g in a very short amount of time (minutes) is not enough to cause a signifiant degree of denovo lipogenesis... So the 15g of carbs you are getting from a peice of fruit (wih only a fraction of that being 'fructose') is going to be inconsequential in terms of this process.

Anima
09-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Well THAT is good news! Fruit is one of my fvorite things.. I sold organic fruit and veg for years and it is in my blood most literally and I was really pining for my fruit juice and my grapes.....

Thanks!

Emma-Leigh
09-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Well THAT is good news! Fruit is one of my fvorite things.. I sold organic fruit and veg for years and it is in my blood most literally and I was really pining for my fruit juice and my grapes.....

Thanks!
Hmmm... Well about the fruit juice...

I would stick to whole fruit rather than juice - you loose some of the benifits of the whole fruit when you juice it (less filling, less fibre etc etc) - plus a small glass of juice has much more of a calorie hit.

Signe
09-23-2004, 06:37 AM
A friend of mine put it best:

No one ever got fat by eating apples.

Anima
09-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Ahhhh, but I juice my own apples! He he he fullafibergoodness!!

Once week or twice if I can I juice up carrots and apples in equal measure (havent this week been out of it physically) and add a bit of fresh ginger to the mix. major yum factor there. I dont filter it out so it is rich in good stuff.

I do this for the work scenario as eating is frowned upon but drinking is OK.

BerryBlis
09-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Hello,

I eat 300 grams of carbs a day as well and I am a 115 lb female, maintaining a body fat of 10%.
It's good to hear the stuff about bananas though. I only usually eat oranges and apples because I kept reading bananas were too high in glycemic index. I would love to include these in my diet again!! What about canteloupe? How do you guys feel about that? (another of my faves) or watermelon?

Berryblis

Emma-Leigh
09-25-2004, 03:48 AM
Hello,

I eat 300 grams of carbs a day as well and I am a 115 lb female, maintaining a body fat of 10%.
It's good to hear the stuff about bananas though. I only usually eat oranges and apples because I kept reading bananas were too high in glycemic index. I would love to include these in my diet again!! What about canteloupe? How do you guys feel about that? (another of my faves) or watermelon?

Berryblis
Which just goes to show that carbs are not what 'make people fat'... Although you are also a very active young female (with all that tennis you do...) AND you are trying to gain mass! So you are not exactly in the same catagory either. ;)

Banana's are not high GI - they average out to have a GI of ~50. Which is lower GI than sweet potato and brown rice (and actually go down to the 30's if you eat them when they are a little less ripe). They are a REALLY good energy source of people who are very active (esp those who do a lot of sweating), and are a GREAT recovery fuel for post-workout.

Cantalope (rockmelon to us Aussies) is ok to eat and watermelon is fine. Everyone says to 'stay away from watermelon' because it has a high GI. But, although it has a high GI, the GL (glycaemic load) is about 3 (low is anything under 10), which means that although the energy in the fruit is released into the blood rapidly, you would have to eat a WHOLE WATERMELON before the amount of energy it gave you was significant enough to cause you any harm.

johnnyironboard
09-25-2004, 05:51 AM
I no longer comment on eating fruit except for what I eat personally. Believe it or not I have found it to be the most controversial issue discussed in all the forums! It is like religion- people have their minds made up and will not change it.

I have made the following observation regarding fruit however- if you look back over say the last 50,000 years when did humans eat fruit? When it was ripe. How long was it ripe? not very long.

I personally eat grapefruit and apples on the weekend(I eat strawberries when they are fresh). I don't want it during the week so I don't eat it.

Emma-Leigh
09-25-2004, 05:20 PM
I no longer comment on eating fruit except for what I eat personally. Believe it or not I have found it to be the most controversial issue discussed in all the forums! It is like religion- people have their minds made up and will not change it.

I have made the following observation regarding fruit however- if you look back over say the last 50,000 years when did humans eat fruit? When it was ripe. How long was it ripe? not very long.

I personally eat grapefruit and apples on the weekend(I eat strawberries when they are fresh). I don't want it during the week so I don't eat it.
Ahhh... We meet again over the topic of fruit... Brings back many memories.. ;)

I agree with you on the issue that fruit is one of the most debated topics on BB boards. It is amazing how many discussions it starts and the confusion that it creates among new members!

I feel much of the confusion steams from the fact that many 'average' people (who are not competition cutting) get confused by the competitor BBs who believe fruit should not be used pre-contest. Therefore they are dropping from from their everyday 'weight loss' diets - when it is really not needed.

I just wanted to point out to you the 'hole' in your arguement regarding fruit seasonality. Well, many yrs ago humans were nomadic. We moved with the seasons and therefore, with this, we moved where the fruit/food source (both plant and animal) was abundant.

However, many yrs ago the fruit was also very different from what we consume today... Many years of cultivation and 'genetic manipulation' has occured since that time and the taste, texture and content of the fruit has changed remarkably.

I also want to ask you this - Why do people feel it is it ok to use 'dextrose' (pure, unadultarated manufactured sugar) and yet they turn their noses up at fruit? Something that is a lot less energy dense, a lot more nutritiously dense and a lot healthier for you. :rolleyes:

johnnyironboard
09-25-2004, 05:49 PM
I also want to ask you this - Why do people feel it is it ok to use 'dextrose' (pure, unadultarated manufactured sugar) and yet they turn their noses up at fruit? Something that is a lot less energy dense, a lot more nutritiously dense and a lot healthier for you. :rolleyes:

I don't eat dextrose. I ate a golden delicious apple this afternoon.

Anima
09-26-2004, 06:44 AM
well, you'll love this fruitscapade today... I ran out of the house and grabbed what I THOUGHT wzas my bag-o-foods for the work day. turned out to be only half of what I needed.

I hadda go "hunter-gatherer" at work..... prowled the back rooms, found the following:

3 kiwi fruit, 3 nice lil apples, and a little pot of "flat cheese" (sort of a yoghurt made from dry skim milk) that had apple and cinnamon preserves in it.

Figured the flat cheese was not a bad option even tho it had added sugars in it, so I thought how can I make this safer for the diet... ended up chopping the fruit into it (one apple one kiwi) and it did the trick.

Later I have a salad of green veg and smoked chicken breast, but for now the emptiness is dealth with.

Thank F for fruit is all I can say LOL

raven777
10-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Just sharing my experience of when I tried to cut fruit out of my diet. I didn't feel 100%. I added it back into my diet and i felt so much better. I only eat berries though. 1 cup early in the day. I think overall its best to eat fruits lower in sugar and to eat them earlier in the day vs. late at night. Bluberries are my favorite!!!

Emma-Leigh
10-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Just sharing my experience of when I tried to cut fruit out of my diet. I didn't feel 100%. I added it back into my diet and i felt so much better. I only eat berries though. 1 cup early in the day. I think overall its best to eat fruits lower in sugar and to eat them earlier in the day vs. late at night. Bluberries are my favorite!!!
This is the case for many people - fruit offers sooo many benefits for a persons overall wellbeing that they feel horrible when they take it out.

This is especially the case when on low cal diets.

By adding fruit back in you allow your liver to maintain your blood glucose levels - which helps your brain and vital organs function. And, at the end of the day, allowing your brain the energy to function keeps you feeling better (no brain fuzz!)!