PDA

View Full Version : How do know how many calories??

cdawnreed
09-22-2004, 06:03 AM
I have always felt that I needed to consume only ~1200 calories to get to and then maintain my ideal weight which is aroun 128lbs. I am currently around 137lbs. I normally do 45min weight routines 4 times a week and cardio 30-35 minutes 3-4 times a week. Am I not consuming enough calories? Am I hurting myself more by constricting my consumption?

Thanks

Ivey_Itch
09-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi, i'm about the exact same as you. I'm at 136 and i've been eating 1200-1300 calories since January. I've recently started feeling like crap, so i've upped my calories this week.. I already feel better. They say to up your calories 50-100 calories a week so your body can readjust. I'm eating roughly 1400-1450 now... I'd rather eat a little more and get more out of my workouts then eat less and workout like crap. Hope that helps some! Don't forget, you need plenty of protein to build your muscles, so make sure a majority of your calories are coming from protein :)

MsFit
09-22-2004, 07:18 AM
What's your body fat?

cdawnreed
09-22-2004, 07:58 AM
I don't know what my b.f. is, the scale that I have gives you a bf % but I know that can't be acurate. Should I invest in some calipers?

cdawnreed
09-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Just thought of another question should the ration of protein be 1:1 with our weight? I have always heard that and wondered if it applied to women also.

MsFit
09-22-2004, 08:30 AM
The scales (http://msfit.musclemag.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=521&highlight=omron) are very close to accurate, if you use it properly. You have to do it first thing in the morning, before eating, drinking, showering, washing hands, increased heart rate, etc. Roll out of bed and take it.

If there is a male and female setting, use both and take the average...If you workout. Subtract one from that average and it will usually be very close to accurate.

I consume 1 to 1.25 gm of protein per pound of muscle mass and will increase it to 1.5 or more for muscle gain. It depends on your body. I have one e-client (female) who requires 1.75 gm of protein per pound of muscle mass to even keep muscle. Her body is a chore to figure out. LOL

I don't feed dead weight (fat), I build calories and macros around active tissue and activity level.