PDA

View Full Version : Sick of chicken & rice

shipshape
09-21-2004, 04:01 PM
I am so sick of eating variations of chicken, tuna and rice for my diet and I do not like much fish. Can you give me some good substitution ideas? Thanks!

Ivey_Itch
09-21-2004, 04:23 PM
eggs, egg whites, i love omletes and boiled eggs... tofu.... lean ground beef... sweet potatoes... oatmeal... protein powders... cottage cheese... Shrimp... natural peanut butter.... avocodo... nuts..i like walnuts... maybe that will help some! Don't forget anything good and green.. like spinach and broccolli... ;)

Ms. Lucy
09-22-2004, 04:53 AM
I've found that I really enjoy making meals that are full of flavor rather than plain brown rice and chicken. For exapmle, I recenetly made a vegetable/turkey meatloaf with tons of zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, turkey and spices that will last a few days and has a good amount of protein and carbs with little fat (great for getting in veggies!)

I'm also thinking about making a vegetable stock and then throwing in some egg noodles and chicken when I'm ready to eat it just to give chicken a new twist.

Another great variation I make with chicken is to take a chicken breast, pound it flat (I use the side of my skillet) then put some spinach and sometimes some lf or ff mozz cheese. Roll it up, put it in a pan, cover it with tin foil and bake at 350 for an hour. Tastes wonderful (add whatever spices) and it's not the same old chicken.

I've also recently had a thing for ww tortilla's rolled with either stripped chicken or ground turkey with lettuce, onions, red peppers and a tiny bit of ff sour cream. Again, just a new texture!

Hope that helps a bit! I love to cook!

Ivey_Itch
09-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Hey, Try this with the chicken, pound out the chicken breast and fill the center with a mixture of fat free cream cheese, a little lowfat or vegetarian mozzerlla (however you spell it), and a couple tbsps of salsa, (i mix this stuff up and microwave it for a few seconds to make it easier to stir), then put some in the center of the chicken breast, roll the thing up (secure with tooth picks) and a scoop of mixture on the top and bake at 350 uncovered for about 40-50 minutes for 2 breasts... SOOOOO GOOD! (oh yeah, i spray the dish with pam and the top of the chicken with a little pam too) I found the recipe on the back of the tyson chicken breast bag, but I modified it this way to make it healthy.. my husband LOVES it! you can also make some cooked brown rice, add salsa a few onions, tomatoes, (mexican style veggies) and cook on the frying pan until warm to serve with it... It's a great healthy version of some really naughty good food :) (sometimes i sautee some onions and bell pepper of the side too.... ) UMMMM... i'm drooling...

Valeria
09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
I must try those variations soon.

I have been away so long...but back with a vengence now. I won a fight with cancer, but all of my conditioning is down the toilet. Now I am starting with a fresh, clean slate.

Hugs to all,

Valeria

shipshape
09-23-2004, 02:03 PM
YUM!! Sounds good. Some great ideas- Thanks! I will DEFINITELY try those recepies on the weekend; however, I'm finishing up my last year of college and I am working. So during the week, I don't have much time at all to cook. Any one have any quick fixes or lunch ideas too? THANKS!!! :)

Ivey_Itch
09-23-2004, 03:00 PM
i'm right there with ya... last year of college and I work friday's, saturday's and sundays too... i keep a lot of boiled eggs on hand... good quick meals... along with some cooked brown rice in the fridge... canned tuna on supply.. boca burgers in the fridge.. (mainly for my husband)... cook some chicken sunday and have some so pop in the microwave for quick meals... i love cooking stir fry.. just buy a bag of stir fry mix from super walmart...add some chicken.. wala! a meal in about 10 minutes... i always keep chopped up veggies in the fridge too..so when I want a quick meal I just open up a can of tuna or slice up some eggs... open up my little containers of veggies and I have a quick salad with no chopping.. just plate it, eat and go.. also oatmeal with some berries takes like 3 minutes to make.. I live off this stuff! :) Hope that helps! (add some protein powder for protein)
-Kim

shipshape
09-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Definitely helps. Thanks for the tips!

someday
09-28-2004, 01:24 PM
i grill everything i eat (i can't cook)

97% lean low sodium turkey burgers are great and if i eat beef it is cab eye round which is also 97% lean.