PDA

View Full Version : Question about fasted cardio

mjt12
09-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Hello all, I know everyone has a different opinion on fasted cardio. I am a believer in it but do have a question. I live an hour away from where I workout. Is that too long to wait when doing cardio on an empty stomach? Any info would be great.

MsFit
09-21-2004, 11:18 AM
It's how you feel physically. I'd be too hungry to drive an hour and then do cardio. For the most part, I do cardio on an empty stomach as well, but some mornings I'm just too hungry, and so I eat a little something... normally 1/2 of what my breakfast would normally be.

It's basically listening to your body. ;)

mjt12
09-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Usually I'm not hungry when I wake up. When I am I do eat a little something before. Thank you, so basically it wont harm me if I wait the hour. Sounds fabulous. Thank you Ms Fit!!

Emma-Leigh
09-22-2004, 01:48 AM
I only believe in fasted cardio if it is lower in intensity (like walking the dog) and it basically first thing in the morning so you can still eat with in about 60 minutes of waking up.

I feel driving for an hour and THEN doing cardio is probably too long to wait before eating and you would not be achieving much - your cortisol (stress) hormone levels would be really high and your energy levels would be really low... A combination of these would make you more likely to loose more lean mass than you need to during your workout and would also make your workout less effective.

I would feel better (and workout better) having had a meal first.

Plus - I would have chewed off my right foot if I waited for that time to eat!! :D I am starving when I wake up and eat as soon as my feet hit the floor.