PDA

View Full Version : Weight up and down frustration

kaylers
09-21-2004, 06:47 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... I have been put on a program. Last week I dropped 3 lbs, however this week I went by 0.3 lbs. Is this normal even with a strict diet using fitday.com and working out? I'm confused. Its just a little discouraging....

ChocoChick
09-21-2004, 07:02 AM
.3lbs is nothing. Your weight can (and will) fluctuate by a few pounds depending on where you are in your monthly cycle, how much fluid you are retaining, how hard you've worked out the day before, etc., etc. Look for an overall trend, or, better yet, let the mirror and the way your clothes fit be your guide.

Ivey_Itch
09-21-2004, 07:15 AM
.3 lbs is nothing NOTHING to worry about! I go up and down a lb or 2 almost every other week. A lot of times it's water retention. Don't worry about it at all!

kaylers
09-21-2004, 07:48 AM
thanks so much for your replies! I just spoke with my nutritionist who explained the whole water retention concept. She suggested that I could weigh myself every day and then calculate a weekly average, because weight does fluctuate. She told me to pay more attention to the montly measurements and bf% each month. Since I have endometriosis and I'm on the pill we've decided to lower my calories to x 9-10 bodyweight to see how my body reacts.
Thank you SO much for your responses!! You've made me feel a LOT better!!! Thanks again :)

ChocoChick
09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
we've decided to lower my calories to x 9-10 bodyweight to see how my body reacts.

This seems very low. How much do you weigh and what is your goal? How often are you working out and what are you doing?

kaylers
09-21-2004, 08:56 PM
I weigh 141 and I am 5'1. My first goal is to lose 20lbs. Then my long term goal and focus is to eventually compete. My bf is @ 33%. I am on a 6 day program.
Day 1: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Day 2: 60 minutes cardio
Day 3: Back/Biceps
Day 4: 60 minutes cardio
Day 5: Legs/Abs + 45 minutes of cardio
Day 6: 60 minutes of cardio
Day 7: Resting :)

What do you think?

kathkath
09-21-2004, 09:49 PM
relax.. .3 is nothing.. in fact i think it's only water.. your workout routine is somehow good.. but remember that too much cardio will only reduce your lean mucle mass.. take it one ster at a time.. good luck

Emma-Leigh
09-22-2004, 02:40 AM
I weigh 141 and I am 5'1. My first goal is to lose 20lbs. Then my long term goal and focus is to eventually compete. My bf is @ 33%. I am on a 6 day program.
Day 1: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Day 2: 60 minutes cardio
Day 3: Back/Biceps
Day 4: 60 minutes cardio
Day 5: Legs/Abs + 45 minutes of cardio
Day 6: 60 minutes of cardio
Day 7: Resting :)

What do you think?
Hey there! :)

9-10x BW is overkill on the calorie restricting - you will achieve nothing but a sluggish metabolism and a constant feeling of being tired and rundown. You will not be able to train effectively, you will feel CONSTANTLY deprived and hungry and you will undoubtably binge, ruin your diet and 'punish yourself' for the next week.

Don't do it. You need to eat to loose weight and you are not at a 'comp cutting' stage where you need anything near that calorie restriction.

What type of food are you eating now? Can you outline a typical days diet? Maybe we can help you out in structuring something that will work - but something that actually allows you to EAT as well! ;)

Your program looks good to start with. I would consider not doing the cardio on the legs day at first (leave it at 3 days at first and add extra cardio days when you need to 'shake things up' at a later date). What do those 60 min cardio sessions consist of? Is it walking? Running? What intensity?

kaylers
09-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi Emma-Leigh,

Here is a sample of my diet

Meal #1:
1/3 cup lf cottage cheese
1/3 low fat vanilla yogurt
mixed with 1 tablespoon of walnuts and 1 tbs of sunflower seeds
w/1.5 shredded wheat
or
8 egg whites, 1.5 shredded wheat
Meal #2:
Protein shake (Nectar Syntrax)
Meal #3:
1 can of tuna and large salad (w/flax seed oil and balsamic vinegar or lemon)
or
1 can of tuna
3 egg whites
chives...makes a great tuna patty
or
bb pancakes
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 lf cottage cheese
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring
(dressing are strawberries, mixed with whey protein powder and tablespoon of lf vanilla yogurt)
Meal #4:
Chicken breast/turkey/salmon/taliapia & yam/kamut pasta (whole wheat high fibre)/buckwheat/quinoa
-flavoring ms. dash
Meal #5:
egg whites/chicken/fish and LOTS of cooked veggetables (green beans, snow peas, broc**** anything that is fresh)

Cardio:
Is a spin class or stair running

cheers, let me know! thanks :)

Emma-Leigh
09-23-2004, 05:30 AM
Ok. Your diet doesn't look too bad. Do you have the calorie/macronutrient ratio for this?

I would probably think that you are not giving yourself enough time to see results... You need a few more weeks before you start to be concerned and you have made some progress so just keep at it and see how you go.

A few suggestions:

Meal #1:
1/3 cup lf cottage cheese
1/3 low fat vanilla yogurt
mixed with 1 tablespoon of walnuts and 1 tbs of sunflower seeds
w/1.5 shredded wheat
or
8 egg whites, 1.5 shredded wheat
Looks ok.. I would incease your CC to 1/2 cup when you have that breakfast. Shredded wheat is probably not your best option either - what about some oats instead?

Meal #2:
Protein shake (Nectar Syntrax)
You might want to add something to this - maybe some oats or a peice of fruit. Protein powder (unless post-workout) is never your best option in terms of a food source... If you can manage it, real food would be more helpful.

Meal #3:
1 can of tuna and large salad (w/flax seed oil and balsamic vinegar or lemon)
or
1 can of tuna
3 egg whites
chives...makes a great tuna patty
or
bb pancakes
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 lf cottage cheese
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring
(dressing are strawberries, mixed with whey protein powder and tablespoon of lf vanilla yogurt)
Looks ok.

Meal #4:
Chicken breast/turkey/salmon/taliapia & yam/kamut pasta (whole wheat high fibre)/buckwheat/quinoa
-flavoring ms. dash
Vegetables??

Meal #5:
egg whites/chicken/fish and LOTS of cooked veggetables (green beans, snow peas, broc**** anything that is fresh)
What about some healthy fats here? Some walnuts/fatty fish or linseeds?

kaylers
09-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi Emma-Leigh,
Thanks for the response! Your comments are great! I do need to add more vegetables to my diet. This is something that I have to work on. I love vegetables so this is not a problem. I'm going to add more broc****, brussel sprouts, zucchini, mushrooms. I know that this will also help with feeling more full!
I only have 1/3 of cc and yogurt in the morning before I workout, because I always feel like I'm gonna puke before I workout if I eat. But, I have to eat b.c. I bike to the gym and I need fuel. I am also going to try to add some fruit to my diet to go with my protein shake. I'm going to blend some wild blueberries or something in!
Thanks so much! Also I weighed myself today and I went down to 139.7!! So, it was all a matter of water retention!! :):) Made me smile... haven't been down in the 30's for many months! YAY!!

Kayla