PDA

View Full Version : Running Knee

ana banana
09-21-2004, 03:06 AM
Hi. I have a concern. I just started running a lot (3x +) I used to bike loads which is my main form of cardio, anyway, but my knee hurts loads after a certain while (about 20 mins). I went to see a doctor and he told me that liquid accumulates on my knees when i run and not to worry because the body absorbs it right back.

THat being not good enough, I feel very limited, and wonder if any of you have this, or if I can buy one of those knee things, if that can improve? Or if the best thing to do is give up running which would be sad because I wanted to train to run a marathon in spring- Also, could it be possible that i am running 'wrong' or too heavy, which is causing this knee problem?

Any comments would be reeeaaaally appreciated, thanks loads beforehand :)

bluegirl
09-21-2004, 09:47 AM
You mention that you just started running a lot -- maybe your knee is overtaxed? When I began running, my ankles started really hurting; the doctor poked and prodded and declared Nothing Wrong, but it just wasn't going away. I finally sucked it up and stopped running for about four weeks until they were completely pain-free. I started running again at a very slow ramp-up (walk 90 sec, jog 30 sec -- then up to 60/60, etc) and the ankle pain hasn't come back. I also got back to pre-ankle-pain distance very quickly, despite the haitus.

Also: what kind of surface are you running on? Sidewalks can be a lot more painful than even asphalt, not to mention grassy trails or tracks.

Check out the coolrunning.com forums (http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi) for more info, too -- they have a "medical tent" forum that has some great stuff.